Gabe Newell Shows Us How Customer Support Is Done

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

In an imgur post that's making the rounds lately, we can see the exchange between the Steam user called that_earlyguy and Newell. Apparently the Steam user originally sent their issue to Steam Support, but after a week of no response, he decided, hey, fuck it. Maybe I'll have a better shot with Gabe

u1Q8Qs5.png

"I may have got a little passive aggressive, but I didn't want to end it without him knowing I was still a fan!," that_earlyguy wrote on imgur

w3KmMuk.png?1

To that_earlyguy's surprise, Gabe responded—and offered help

8ZVmEcw.png?1 

Two hours later, that_earlyguy's issue had been fixed

6MjW5Qd.png?1

As is custom with Gabe Newell responses, the guy wanted to post it on social media. The problem being, of course, that if he did that, then people would likely start flooding Gabe with too many small support issues. Gabe Newell probably doesn't have time for that, right? So, that_earlyguy asked for permission before posting the exchange anywhere, just to make sure...

3b5Kg16.png?1

Gabe, being the awesome guy that he is, said that posting it was OK: everyone at Valve is "support," and people can definitely send him their Steam support issues:

HMMTXEA.png?1

Meanwhile @Ubisoft

6DKY6UC.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

In an imgur post that's making the rounds lately, we can see the exchange between the Steam user called that_earlyguy and Newell. Apparently the Steam user originally sent their issue to Steam Support, but after a week of no response, he decided, hey, fuck it. Maybe I'll have a better shot with Gabe

u1Q8Qs5.png

"I may have got a little passive aggressive, but I didn't want to end it without him knowing I was still a fan!," that_earlyguy wrote on imgur

w3KmMuk.png?1

To that_earlyguy's surprise, Gabe responded—and offered help

8ZVmEcw.png?1 

Two hours later, that_earlyguy's issue had been fixed

6MjW5Qd.png?1

As is custom with Gabe Newell responses, the guy wanted to post it on social media. The problem being, of course, that if he did that, then people would likely start flooding Gabe with too many small support issues. Gabe Newell probably doesn't have time for that, right? So, that_earlyguy asked for permission before posting the exchange anywhere, just to make sure...

3b5Kg16.png?1

Gabe, being the awesome guy that he is, said that posting it was OK: everyone at Valve is "support," and people can definitely send him their Steam support issues:

HMMTXEA.png?1

PCMR FTW

I do believe this is a repost tho...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Gabe Newell definitely is a great guy, but man that company suffers from mismanagement and shitty customer support. Steam is actually the WORST digital distribution platform out there, both in terms of quality control and in terms of customer service. This is just another example of that.

Now I know who I'll contact if I ever get any issues with steam ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just a reminder that although you are allowed to indicate that a thread is a repost, please don't do so in anything other than the default font size, and please include a link to make it much easier for us to verify and to allow other people to migrate to the original thread.

EDIT: I am still looking for a link to the original thread. If nobody can provide one, this thread will be reopened.

HTTP/2 203

PCMR FTW

could you -snip- the quote thank you

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

And all off a sudden Gabe's inbox is overloaded with help requests.    But I have a question, how do we know he is personally replying and doesn't have a small team on his accounts for this?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

...or you know he could fix the customer service system instead of setting himself up to deal with every issue personally >_>

And all off a sudden Gabe's inbox is overloaded with help requests.    But I have a question, how do we know he is personally replying and doesn't have a small team on his accounts for this?

possible , but i see no reason why he could have replied him self , the email did speak as gabe, would you think the person incharge of the personal email would impersonate gabe ? and if it's personal , would he have a staff accessing to it? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

From pc master race.

I wonder how much people here would rage if they realized how much news posted here was actually posted from r/pcmasterrace

This is an interesting article.

1. This speaks great volumes for the care that Gabe Newell personally takes with users.

2. This speaks great volumes as to how fucking utterly shitty Official Steam/Value Support is.

This is both great and horrible. Valve: Fix your goddamn support system. It's utterly horrible. Also, please follow in EA's footsteps (Bet you never thought you'd hear that one) and implement an official Return Policy on at least Valve games, if not the entire library.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well. If you got hijacked this is the way you should solve the issue. Praise Gaben :D Yeah the Steam support is crap... I know it! 
The waiting time is 3 days if you have luck or?

It is fast. It is secure. Yes it's Gaben.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

Good Guy Gabe. #PraiseGabeN. It's nice to see people in high up places still care about consumers compared to the amount of money they are making. 

Also, Steam Support is pretty terrible. Only used them once, wasn't that bad but could have been better

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Valve's support is worthless and hasn't changed in the last 10+ years despite the exponential growth of the service.

They keep adding in all the new protections because of their marketplace bullshit inspiring scammers, but they don't actually do anything to improve the service.

I still can't fucking do anything with Steam while verifying files, nor can I set it to verify files for more than one game at a time without downloading third party scripts.  I've literally been waiting for that feature since 2006.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

ok so Gabe Newell knowing that steam support didnt get the job done, should have been on people to get it done properly else get replaced. I sure hope something happened.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

ok so Gabe Newell knowing that steam support didnt get the job done, should have been on people to get it done properly else get replaced. I sure hope something happened.

I can only imagine there's been multiple cases like this where users have gone straight to Gabe about their issues since Valve's customer support wasn't helping any.

I wish Mr. Newell would kick some asses if he actually wants to genuinely provide a good service.

Gabe Newell definitely is a great guy, but man that company suffers from mismanagement and shitty customer support. Steam is actually the WORST digital distribution platform out there, both in terms of quality control and in terms of customer service. This is just another example of that.

Uplay

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

what if it isn't actually gabe who answers the emails but a steam support member?

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

what if it isn't actually gabe who answers the emails but a steam support member?

Apparently, Gabe Newell is part of the support team. As are all Valve employees.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Does it matter who actually answered the emails? Whether it was really Gabe, or some assistant?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

well, one person in PCMR also asked that, and he got a selfie from gaben back

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

mr moose, on 06 Feb 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

My thoughts exactly.

Off topic: I imagined this scenario like the scene in Bruce Almighty when he responds to the prayers via email haha. Praise GabeN....