The guy who hacked HL2 Beta

NeatSquidYT

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-21-the-boy-who-stole-half-life-2-article

I feel so sorry for this guy, curiosity got the better of him and let to him being arrested. I'm posting this to raise awareness of it, as I find this to be a really interesting example of human curiosity issues and how security of large corporations are so easily exploited.

Ouch! At least he gave it a shot!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

The entirety of anything networked is very fragile indeed. There's always a way in, no matter how careful you are.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

That was a good read.

A very talented young man.

I think he did the right thing by apologizing and cooperating.

Sounds like he really turned his life around.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Oh yeah, Valve used to make games. I guess I forgot that sometime when I was banging my head against a wall while using Steam support.

It was a really good read though, he does seem like a nice person who made a bad decision. I can empathise with that. Not that I'm claiming to be a nice person or anything. :P

Probably gonna guess that's because people are... reading the article...

Cool story!

Thanks Slick :D

Great story. It's nice that he admitted to all of his wrongs. But still, he had so much potential and could have been every successful in the Internet security sector if he hadn't have done that.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

That guy is a genius, I'd love to sit down and have a chat with him...

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I remember reading this awhile back. 

It's a nice read.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

It was a good read.

And this reminds me that we still have to wait a lot more Valve Time for Half-Life 3 lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Cool story!

-a wild slick appears-

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

• 2 weeks later...

Curiosity killed the cat. 

That's all i have to say.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

I want to live there!! that town looks so nice!

He shouldn't of leaked it, should of kept it to himself.

He seems like a nice guy

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

That was a really well written article

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

• 1 month later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-21-the-boy-who-stole-half-life-2-article

I feel so sorry for this guy, curiosity got the better of him and let to him being arrested. I'm posting this to raise awareness of it, as I find this to be a really interesting example of human curiosity issues and how security of large corporations are so easily exploited.

Cool story!

Damn thats such a good read! i didnt know that happened + Slick replied  :ph34r:

Damn thats such a good read! i didnt know that happened + Slick replied  :ph34r:

Nice bump :P

I know :)

Nice bump :P

I know :)

Its cool haha, I saw you comment on another thread and saw your signature and was like 'Oh godzz, I need to see this!' xD

Its cool haha, I saw you comment on another thread and saw your signature and was like 'Oh godzz, I need to see this!' xD

Haha, I was fangirling when it happened :D

• 2 months later...

Let me give you another bump. For me the impressive thing is that a bunch of heavily armed police officers enter the hotel room of a kid for the huge crime of being curious... I mean what happened to a simple police officer having a talk and taking him away... Jeez... Very cool story thoughj. Was unaware of it and it is fascinating.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Yep, read this some months ago.

'do not touch the keyboard :') what did they think he would do?

Yep, read this some months ago.

'do not touch the keyboard :') what did they think he would do?

This was posted months ago....