Companies, Brand Loyalty, and Warranty

jaypro

It is less likely that you are trying to take advantage of the warranty and trying to game the system.

I would argue that it isn't.

It all comes down to the fact that people want free stuff from a company because they buy thier products.

Do you feel entitled to a free burger because you have gone to Burger King 10 times? Do you feel you should have better service because you have been there 10 times? That's taken out of context a lot but its the same logic.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It all comes down to the fact that people want free stuff from a company because they buy thier products.

Do you feel entitled to a free burger because you have gone to Burger King 10 times? Do you feel you should have better service because you have been there 10 times? That's taken out of context a lot but its the same logic.

Actually, yes. I do.

It's odd you mention Burger King because there is Burger King right next to my work where I am regular customer, but if they were to get my order wrong or give me bad food, I'd go up and ask them for a new one, and I'd expect them to give me it.  Why? Because I go there multiple times a week, and know a few of the employees on a first name basis.  They would understand that I didn't just take a few bits out of my burger, then ask for another one just for free food.

This has actually happened once before at Burger King.  I'm pretty groggy at the mornings, but I remember ordering a Sausage Biscuit on their breakfast menu, and ended up with a Sasuage Crossiant instead.  I take a couple bites before I realize, then go up to the front and ask them.  The employee, Kevin, remembered my order, realized the mistake, apologized multiple times, and went and got me a biscuit instead.

Food places are actually probably a bad argument because they almost always give you *replacements* because unlike computer hardware, they have a lot more competition for your dollar.  Even if you do something obviously your fault like drop your food on the ground, I've yet been to one restaurant that wouldn't go and get you a new one, even if it was half eaten already.

Actually, yes. I do.

Well that's where our opinions differ.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

this would be a nice topic to hear from linus and slick. twit them about it! :D

crafted personality!

Well I feel ordered an M65 off of corsair website a couple weeks back. I couldn't find the mouse any cheaper on other websites (always $69.99) but RIGHT after I ordered it (on a Friday evening) I sent an email to support with all the information asking for the order to be cancelled and refunded. I explained that I'm in Canada and I found the mouse on NCIX for cheaper shipping and I wouldn't have to worry about potential brokerage fees. Needless to say, Monday I got an email saying that the mouse was shipped out. I thought fine whatever, if there are brokerage fees I'll just refuse it from UPS. I called corsair Monday just to make sure my plan would work, and I'm not sure he may of been having a bad day or what, but he was rude, had me on hold a long time (not that I really mind) but ticked me off most, afterwards, didn't say good bye, thanks for calling, have a good day or ANYTHING. He's in frigging sales!

Just kind of erked me as I thought they were one of the "good" customer support people

It is a shitty job. With that said that kind of stuff isn't acceptable.

It is a shitty job. With that said that kind of stuff isn't acceptable.

I honestly doubt they contract out their support, which means chances are (i'm aware I could easily be wrong) they get treated better than your average call-center employee. I wouldn't have been too surprised if a support agent acted like that, but he was a sales rep, I was as polite as could be because I know from working in a call-center the worker is much more willing to help. Just blew me away, I explained my situation clearly and simply asked that if I was going to have to pay brokerage fees, how could I refuse the package and it still get back to then and refunded. I did get my answer, but it felt like i was asking him to go out of his way to help me.

TBH you screwed up in not sending them the fans in the first place, then again in sending them the wrong fans. Chances are they are going to send you a new unit, the way you'd buy it from a shop. The fans aren't accessories, they are part of the product, you can't use them without it (unless you buy other fans of course). I didn't keep my PSU cables (or zip ties for that matter) when I needed to RMA it.

I've RMA'd with Corsair before and it took about a week from requesting RMA on their forum to getting the replacement.

Anyway, to the question.

I don't think how much money you've given a company should mean you get preferential treatment. If you've bought something and it's happened to go bad you should just be thrown on a waiting list like anyone else, no matter how much it cost. If I buy 10 things from 'XYZ' it's not because I'm being loyal, it's because I like their product.

Totally agree with eshbop.  Spot on bro.

The thing with Apple is that all of the products are so cheaply and badly made they can afford to just give people new ones.

Take your head out of you-no-where, such comments are useless.

I've had pleasant experiences with Razer and ASUS so I will continue to buy from both. ASUS support is top notch as long as you call them. The turn around for RMAs doesn't take forever and it isn't long either. I've RMA'd my Nexus 7 and Zenbook UX31E. When my Razer Chimaera 5.1 broke, I sent it in and got a brand new one less than a week later.

I had serious issues with Corsair trying to RMA my 600T. Communication with their support was rather poor and literally took 2-3 months of me hounding them to get my problem resolved. As much as I love their products, I'll probably avoid buying them in the future because of that experience.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Totally agree with eshbop.  Spot on bro.

Take your head out of you-no-where, such comments are useless.

It is true though

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

for the love of god and all you hold dear, avoid CCL computers here in the uk. Now the story.

Short version - 

Faulty PSU

they said - system needs a bigger PSU your graphics card uses 28 amp (6870) and the PSU is 16A x 2, you do not add the rails for total amperage (DA FUQ)

I said - So why did the system run for 12 hours then die especialy when the system was never under load?

them - Same BS

Me - Actually i think you'll find the 6870 uses around 175 watts, 175 watts so on a 12v system this works out at 14.5amps.

Them - oh sorry our mistake.

after more BS of them trying to get out of it i had to send the PSU back at my expence and then it took them 2 weeks to refund me. bunch of tossers.

I honestly doubt they contract out their support, which means chances are (i'm aware I could easily be wrong) they get treated better than your average call-center employee. I wouldn't have been too surprised if a support agent acted like that, but he was a sales rep, I was as polite as could be because I know from working in a call-center the worker is much more willing to help. Just blew me away, I explained my situation clearly and simply asked that if I was going to have to pay brokerage fees, how could I refuse the package and it still get back to then and refunded. I did get my answer, but it felt like i was asking him to go out of his way to help me.

It is actually probably better to contract out. My employer is a contractor we get treated super well and get amazing pay and discounts. Since we take care of many tech companies we get a lot of discounts. 47% off Dell. $200+ off Apple. $700 bonuses every quarter. We get it real well. We feel like our employer does care about us. We get a lot of care since the job sucks so hard. A non outsourced call center is good for getting employee discounts at that one place, and their systems are better. My systems suck, we can hardly do anything to the system. I would never be able to send a cx something through the mail for free with out contacting sups and the cx first. It would take a long time and have to go through the actual company's corporate office.

Totally agree with eshbop. Spot on bro.

I linked the Corsair RMA policy, and nowhere does it say that they would ship new units out from RMA. Every RMA I've ever dealt with has had the policy to only ship the defective part. I did not want to ship the fans and then they end up shipping back only the AIO unit. This is the first time I've experienced an RMA where they re-ship out Retail packages. Almost always do they say that chances are you will get a refurb unit.

Corsair does not mention anywhere in their Warranty and RMA policy that they ship out Retail and new boxes back to the customer. They also never mention to include all accessories. It is pretty logically to assume that you would not include accessories out of fear that if they were to follow other company's policy of recycling extra accessories, you would be screwed.

Some examples:

I RMA'd a set of Monster Turbine Earbuds. It originally came with a bunch of ear tips and a case/pouch. They shipped another one back to me, by itself, in a plastic bag.

I RMA'd an XFX Graphics card. Their policy was clear and precise. I quoted it below:

"Only the faulty item is required. Please do not send any accessories originally supplied with the product. Such items and the package used to ship the product in are recycled and will not be returned. All replacements are sent in non-retail packaging with only the product included. This includes power cables for power supplies, only the core PSU unit is needed."

Source : http://xfxstorage.com/Support/pca_rma_tc_ns.pdf

The main thing I was trying to get at was that I wanted to show Corsair that I was not trying to scam them out of two fans. The only way I could think of proving this was by showing to them that I've spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on their products, and that I'm not just trying to get some free fans.

Idk what you could do

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

Yeah but companies that do care about their customers do give you stuff. Starbucks gives you free stuff after you go there 12 or so times when you use the app or something like that.

If a company does something does something that it doesn't have too i think that's awesome. On the other hand I would never feel entitled to something just because I have given them business in the past.

• 7 months later...

Just something I was thinking about. Are there any particular brands for computer hardware/peripherals (Asus, Corsair, Logitech, etc.) that you generally prefer? If you had to make another purchase for a component, is there one particular brand you might stop at first before you check out others?

Generally, I think I'm more inclined to look for good deals, as long as they're from brands that are reasonably well-known. I've had good experiences with Asus for my monitors, though, and if I had to buy a new one, I might consider checking them out first.

Anyway, just curious to know how you guys feel.

For graphics card companies allot of people really prefer EVGA for their quality coolers and AWESOME customer service.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I always look at Ducky's first for keyboards. Unless there is a sale for something else of course. I will generally look at all the brands when it comes to components, and see whats on sale or has the best performance and asthetics I like.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I am openly a Corsair fan.

Generally, I think I'm more inclined to look for good deals, as long as they're from brands that are reasonably well-known. 

But for stuff they dont make (ie CPU, MOBO GPU, etc.) I use this logic.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm kind of loyal to NVIDIA and MSI because for all my past purchases they offered the best bang for the buck, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to change this year.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

for cables and adapters I always go to a store called ''clas ohlson'' if they don't have it it doesn't exist

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

I like to think I am somewhat unbiased. However I tend to dislike ASUS in everything except mobos because I feel that other people do make their products better than they do. (BenQ makes better monitors, creative sound, other GPU coolers typically are better).

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Razer- Ever since the DA 3.5G I've loved them. People can say stuff about 13 year olds and whatever but the products they make are definitely very high quality, also I can't personally find a keyboard to compare to the Blackwidow other than the k70 and shine III.

Corsair- I've got an Ax760i, h100i and 750d. They all work really well, as well as looking so good. There is just some kind of prestige about owning corsair products for me. Also corsair link is a win.

As far as mobos/cpus/gpus I go for what is best value, for me at the time it was a sapphire 7950, it also looked nice so I got it. But if there are two brands I like most it would be Gigabyte for the amazing G1 Sniper range and windforce coolers, or Asus for the Sabertooth Z87 and DCU2 backplates. I personally don't like ROG too much and think its a bit tacky and overused, yet there is no denying the amazing quality of it.

EDIT-

Also, I try and buy from CCL computers as they are reasonably local and provide a good service (UK). (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to them).

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

Asus for monitors and motherboards, Corsair for RAM, cases and AIO coolers.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

AMD GPU = Sapphire

Nvidia GPU = MSi

both are easier on the warranty specially msi 

evga in my country are over priced junk. as everything else is 1 year warranty.

unless they go down in price and match the msi/asus then yes it won't be an overprice junk anymore.

Live your life like a dream.

I tend to look at Gigabyte first for motherboards. 

Nvidia GPUs I go to EVGA and PSUs I lean towards Seasonic and XFX.

I'll always look at every brand though.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990