AeroCool dead silence 120mm fans. (Do not buy)

Hello, first review I'll be doing on LTT.

Product name: AeroCool DS EXtreme Cooling 120mm (black).

Price: $16.99CAD

Link: http://www.ncix.com/detail/aerocool-ds-extreme-cooling-120mm-10-100130.htm

Voltage: 12V

RPM: 1500

CFM: 81

H20: 2.29

Noise: 23.1dBA

Voltage: 7V

RPM: 1100

CFM: 62.5

H20: 1.25

Noise: 14.8

Audio Clips: (Will do tomorrow)

12V:

7V:

12V against radiator:

7V against radiator:

Let me start off by saying, these fans do not seem to meet their requirements.

I purchased 4 of these fans from NCIX because they claim to be moderately silent & move a good amount of air.

Boy was I wrong, these fans are loud especially when up against a radiator. These fans obviously create the sound of whooshing air, which is normal but the whooshing sounds isn't pleasing. You can hear the air escaping around the edge of the blades and you can also hear this really quite buzzing noise from the motor. They sound nearly identical to cooler masters $6CAD 2000RPM fans (undervolted) http://www.ncix.com/detail/cooler-master-r4-l2r-20ac-120mm-blue-2e-42176-1120.htm. Now here comes the funny part. That same cooler master fan undervolted pushes more air than the DS fan running at 12V through a radiator. It's a noticeable difference. You can feel the air from the DS fan escaping out through the edges of the blades. I am quite disappointed in these fans as you can probably tell. I was really hoping they would be a little better than the $6 fans I already have. Oh well, I really do like phanteks fans. I wish they came in 120mm as they push more air at a lower RPM and seem to be silent.

I should probably add what I like about them.

They look kinda neat although I didn't buy them for the looks. They have rubber pins and corner to reduce vibrations which always helps.

The cables are sleeved black (decently) and the length of the wire is long. Comes with an undervolter thats black and a short molex to 3-pin.

Thats about it. 

blackshades on

That's what you get for cheaping out.

A Noctua is only $9 more...

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

That's what you get for cheaping out.

A Noctua is only $9 more...

I don't feel like paying $20+ for fans haha.

I heard gentle typhoon fans are good but really you only need to spend $10 on fans.

Just don't buy AeroCool fans!

blackshades on

I heard gentle typhoon fans are good but really you only need to spend $10 on fans.

Fair point lol

I have some Bitfenix Spectre's that cost $12 and they're great. Pretty, almost silent and move a nice amount of air.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Fair point lol

I have some Bitfenix Spectre's that cost $12 and they're great. Pretty, almost silent and move a nice amount of air.

I plan on buying a pair of those haha :'(

blackshades on

I loved my Rosewill Hyperborea fans. Very quiet and they are only $7! They even come with rubber grommets :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Yea dude, return them.

I also bought some AeroCool DS 120mms, and was completely underwhelmed.  There are a few others on this forum complaining about them too.  They look absolutely fantastic, and that is the only reason I have kept them.  Other than that, they fail on all accounts.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Interesting to hear. I saw them recommended on this forum somewhere, and was about to pick one up to see how it performs. Maybe not?

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

i have one, its fine, pretty, there atre better options for the price

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No need to. GT's are discontinued, get some GELID Silent 12 or Be Quiet Pure Wings 2

"Rawr XD"

I have been surprised by the Cougars, I have three that are so quiet

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

• 11 months later...

Hello

I am new around here and I actually use 7 of the 120mm Aerocool Dead Silence fans (red). I got these originally to replace the fans on my 2 Corsair H80i for both my Xeons.

Water Cooling Corsair H80i

Quantity: 2 (1 for each H80i)

Mounting Type: Screws

Power Source: Motherboard

Avg, Speed: 950rpm

Case Mounted

Quantity: 5

Mounting Type: Rubber Grommets

Power Source: PSU with 7v Voltage Reduction 3pin Adapter

Speed: 800rpm

I thought about using the 140mm ones on the case but decided against this as they generate a lot more noise and I am very happy with the 120mm versions and they definitely keep the H80i's cooler than the stock corsair fans. At 100% load on the Xeons the fans on the H80i's never exceed faster than 1000rpm and both CPU's run at approx 27 degrees C max.

I do not know how your getting 23.1dBA as they do not exceed 16 at full power which has been tested in a sound proof room so your testing is s incorrect and are picking up background noise or something. when using the 7v reduction adaptor i get no more than 11.5dBA.

You state at 12v they run at 1500rpm, there seems to be something wrong with your set-up or your overvolting the fans as they should be running at an average of 1200rpm @ 12v and 800rpm @ 7v. I have tested this also and confirm the spec from Aerocool is correct within the 10% tolerance range

With everything combined and in the case with all panels on I just cannot hear any of the fans at all and they are really silent.

Hello

I am new around here and I actually use 7 of the 120mm Aerocool Dead Silence fans (red). I got these originally to replace the fans on my 2 Corsair H80i for both my Xeons.

Water Cooling Corsair H80i

Quantity: 2 (1 for each H80i)

Mounting Type: Screws

Power Source: Motherboard

Avg, Speed: 950rpm

Case Mounted

Quantity: 5

Mounting Type: Rubber Grommets

Power Source: PSU with 7v Voltage Reduction 3pin Adapter

Speed: 800rpm

I thought about using the 140mm ones on the case but decided against this as they generate a lot more noise and I am very happy with the 120mm versions and they definitely keep the H80i's cooler than the stock corsair fans. At 100% load on the Xeons the fans on the H80i's never exceed faster than 1000rpm and both CPU's run at approx 27 degrees C max.

I do not know how your getting 23.1dBA as they do not exceed 16 at full power which has been tested in a sound proof room so your testing is s incorrect and are picking up background noise or something. when using the 7v reduction adaptor i get no more than 11.5dBA.

You state at 12v they run at 1500rpm, there seems to be something wrong with your set-up or your overvolting the fans as they should be running at an average of 1200rpm @ 12v and 800rpm @ 7v. I have tested this also and confirm the spec from Aerocool is correct within the 10% tolerance range

With everything combined and in the case with all panels on I just cannot hear any of the fans at all and they are really silent.

You do know that the db RATING was pulled directly from the specs website, and anything under 30db is considered silent right? You're spewing complete bullshit here, and I'm assuming you work for AeroCool. All of those facts were pulled directly from the website.

The fans attached to the radiator are very LOUD. Way over 40db, and move next to no air with no static pressure. Since then I have moved to Thermaltake Riing fans which move double the air at a fraction of the noise. Very happy with those.

I ended up returning the fans. One of the fans I couldn't return ended up in the trash because the bearings blew due to the oil leaking.

blackshades on

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2016 at 6:49 PM, Reece Leu said:

You do know that the db RATING was pulled directly from the specs website, and anything under 30db is considered silent right? You're spewing complete bullshit here, and I'm assuming you work for AeroCool. All of those facts were pulled directly from the website.

The fans attached to the radiator are very LOUD. Way over 40db, and move next to no air with no static pressure. Since then I have moved to Thermaltake Riing fans which move double the air at a fraction of the noise. Very happy with those.

I ended up returning the fans. One of the fans I couldn't return ended up in the trash because the bearings blew due to the oil leaking.

I'd love to hear your testing methodology, and to hear a baseline. Quite frankly, every OTHER review I've read about them have practically PRAISED them. This includes Play3r https://play3r.net/reviews/aerocool-dead-silence-120mm-140mm-case-fan-review/ KitGuru www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/zardon/aerocool-ds-dead-silence-fan-120mm-and-140mm-review/ eteknix http://www.eteknix.com/aerocool-ds-dead-silence-120mm-140mm-fan-review/ and goldfries https://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/aerocool-ds-dead-silence-120mm-casing-fan-review/ I WILL NOTE that he did note that he put the sensor 1cm away from the fans. This is entirely unrealistic, and during normal function, should not be anywhere near that close.

On 2015-02-02 at 7:13 PM, Aniallation said:

No need to. GT's are discontinued, get some GELID Silent 12 or Be Quiet Pure Wings 2

That's not true, Dazmode.com still sells them, he seems to get them made every so often from the manufacturer.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump