Recommend me a Linux Distro like OSX

Go to solution Solved by Bluethulhu,

Elementary OS is what I immediately think of when reading your post.

I tried Ubuntu.

No. Nuh uh. 

I need my launcher on the bottom just to start.

Basically I need a distro like OSX. I just work better on OSX than on Windows and cannot afford a Mac. Linux seems like an OK choice then.

My problems with Ubuntu (and I'm fairly new to Linux BTW): A, the launcher being stuck on the side, NVidia GPU troubles,  and the password prompt for seemingly everything - something I just cannot stand. I know it's for security and all but I'd honestly rather reinstall the OS in case something really goes wrong that sneaks by without my permission.

So, what distros can you recommend to me? OSX-ish design is mainly what I'm looking for here.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This.

edit

Never heard of Deepin but it actually looks great.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

This was posted earlier today, you might wanna check it out http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/302704-this-linux-distro-is-pretty-awesome-deepin/#entry4113397

Also, if you were having GPU troubles with Ubuntu, I don't think it'll be better with less popular distros, trust me, I have years of experience with Linux. I might be wrong though, and it's worth a try.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

This was posted earlier today, you might wanna check it out http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/302704-this-linux-distro-is-pretty-awesome-deepin/#entry4113397

Also, if you were having GPU troubles with Ubuntu, I don't think it'll be better with less popular distros, trust me, I have years of experience with Linux. I might be wrong though, and it's worth a try.

I haven't tried this one yet, but: http://www.linuxdeepin.com/index.en.html

Hmm, Deepin looks pretty...

elementary OS doesn't look too bad either though...

Choices.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

EOS. It's good and has the look of OSX. Better than Linux :D

It's good, and you can tweak it if you wish. 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Install them both on Virtualbox or something, lol.

EOS. It's good and has the look of OSX. Better than Linux :D

It's good, and you can tweak it if you wish. 

This.

edit

Never heard of Deepin but it actually looks great.

I haven't tried this one yet, but: http://www.linuxdeepin.com/index.en.html

What about Clementine OS?

EDIT: Nvr mind, project abandoned for legal reasons...

• 6 months later...

you could also do a hackintosh

Son this thread is from half a year ago..... I'm long past this. Had elementary OS before they completely broke it and tried hackintoshing my PC which never worked out.