SP 120 Quiet Ed. PWM or 3 pin

W-L

Hey guys I am planning to get some fans for my radiators and I was wondering which ones will have more control of RPM range, I was planning on getting the PWM ones since in most cases they have a lower RPM range/starting voltage but does anyone know what the starting RPM or voltage of those are.

Thanks, W-L

PWM will have more granular control.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1. Always RPM for most control

2. Don't get SP120, they are pretty bad

Better alternatives would be gentle typhoons, Eloops, NF-F12, Rosewill hyperborea

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Better alternatives would be gentle typhoons, Eloops, NF-F12, Rosewill hyperborea

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of those fans other than the Rosewill's from Newegg,I'm in Canada Btw, I was planning to get some Nocuta iPPC PWM ones for lower RPM but they cost double of the Corsairs.  <_<

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of those fans other than the Rosewill's from Newegg,I'm in Canada Btw, I was planning to get some Nocuta iPPC PWM ones for lower RPM but they cost double of the Corsairs.  <_<

You can always try EKWB's shop, they should ship to Canada.

EK-Vardar costs about 21.48 Canadian Dollar per fan + shipping.

You can always try EKWB's shop, they should ship to Canada.

EK-Vardar costs about 21.48 Canadian Dollar per fan + shipping.

I'll look into it I've heard very positive reviews from those fans but if it comes down to the wire and I can't get them I guess the corsair aren't the worst for the price since I can get them for $15 per fan here in the twin packs.

I'll look into it I've heard very positive reviews from those fans but if it comes down to the wire and I can't get them I guess the corsair aren't the worst for the price since I can get them for $15 per fan here in the twin packs.

Guess there are not much difference when it comes to that rpm range, extept price:

OP,

the SP120 PWM versions are pretty good noise and air volume wise.

the PWM i have will run 400-1400 rpm

as the DC will run 550-1450 rpm.

Based on? The GTs are quieter than all of those with the SP fans coming in a close 2nd. 

@600FPM air flow levels

• The two GT fans continue to have legs to get to this point and at their trademark low noise levels although not what I would call great noise quality.  There is a rather dominating bearing noise without much air noise to mask it.  Regardless, it is hard to argue with the low 46dBA noise level at these speeds.
  • The Corsair SP120 would take second lowest noise level at this point with about 54dBA.  It is considerably higher than the GTs, but still seems to be in it’s game without any unusual noise quality issues, fairly smooth for the speed.
  • The B12-4 higher speed Noiseblocker E-loop also makes it this far, but noise quality dramatically reduces with a higher whine developing. Noise level is a similar 54dBA, but it sounds louder than that by ear.
  • The Piranha also has legs to get here, but it’s the loudest of the bunch at 58dBA and also has some noise quality issues with an undulating low frequency and some motor tick.
  • The Noctua and Cougar fans are not capable of this much air flow.

source

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

There's also motor tone... if you are picky.  I personally have used all noctua F12, SP120, B12-3,AP-15, AP-13
AP-15/13 apparently has the deepest motor tone which I favor it.  Then it comes B12-3 which has a slightly higher pitch kinda motor tone.

I have heard good things from the EK Vardar, maybe there are a good alternative!?

To answer your original question, 3-pin vs PWM
most motherboard now comes with fan control software, so I don't think it will make much of difference.  I personally like 3-pin for the fact that most splitter like 9/6 splitter are made in 3-pin.
But if you don't need that many fans, 4-pin splitter to the motherboard and source power from PSU seems to be really good idea.  Or if you need even less, just hook it up directly.

There's also motor tone... if you are picky.  I personally have used all noctua F12, SP120, B12-3,AP-15, AP-13

AP-15/13 apparently has the deepest motor tone which I favor it.  Then it comes B12-3 which has a slightly higher pitch kinda motor tone.

I have heard good things from the EK Vardar, maybe there are a good alternative!?

To answer your original question, 3-pin vs PWM

most motherboard now comes with fan control software, so I don't think it will make much of difference.  I personally like 3-pin for the fact that most splitter like 9/6 splitter are made in 3-pin.

But if you don't need that many fans, 4-pin splitter to the motherboard and source power from PSU seems to be really good idea.  Or if you need even less, just hook it up directly.

The corsair SP fans are the most afforable that I can get in a large amount, and Between 3 pin and 4 pin I can do both via my motherboard, It seems that PWm give a lower starting and operating RPM which is good for silence which I'm trying to achieve.

The corsair SP fans are the most afforable that I can get in a large amount, and Between 3 pin and 4 pin I can do both via my motherboard, It seems that PWm give a lower starting and operating RPM which is good for silence which I'm trying to achieve.

I agree with you.  Maximum starting spinning is a pain in the ass...