Canada Reportedly Monitors Downloads From Citizens

qwertywarrior

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/17702/canada-reportedly-monitors-downloads-from-citizens.html

The Canadian government has been monitoring file downloads from its citizens, according to a new Snowden-sourced The Intercept report. According to the report, the Canadian Security Establishment has a system called LEVITATION that looks through 15 million file transfers per day. Only 350 files per month are flagged by the system.

Most of the traffic is for regular file-sharing of illegal copies of shows or movies, but occasionally, Canada finds something that looks interesting. Of course, to find those few potentially interesting transfers, many thousands of other people are spied upon.

Regular oversight for LEVITATION isn't provided by the court system, meaning the system can collect massive amounts of data without a stricter government body to control it. Canada has not said much about the system but it stands by the activities of the Canadian Security Establishment.

post-15704-0-91888000-1422511662.gif

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I gotta give you a like for the HIMYM gif

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

What? Another government besides the American one spies on its people?

Unheard of!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You wouldn't download maple syrup... Hell yeah I would!

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

This shouldn't even be news.

At least they find something...

I just don't think anyone should be surprised.

At least we're sorry.

Are you just annoyed that you didn't get to post it, Mr. NewsReporter? :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

What? Another government besides the American one spies on its people?

Unheard of!

Dude...the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zeland ALL have spying programs on their citizens. It's not just the US with the NSA. Almost every other country does it too. I don't see why everyone is so surprised.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To be honest, I would have no problem with any of this so long as they passed a law stating it cannot be used to arrest or punish anyone for any law not directly relating to physical harm and they cover the cost of any damages resulting from my personal information being misused.

In other words they can look through my emails and download history but can only present information to the courts if it pertains to a physical harm plot or admission. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Dude...the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zeland ALL have spying programs on their citizens. It's not just the US with the NSA. Almost every other country does it too. I don't see why everyone is so surprised.

be suprised if they didn't.lol

I know that.

kill me now if you were messing around like me and I didn't get it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

To be honest, I would have no problem with any of this so long as they passed a law stating it cannot be used to arrest or punish anyone for any law not directly relating to physical harm and they cover the cost of any damages resulting from my personal information being misused.

In other words they can look through my emails and download history but I can only present information to the courts if it pertains to a physical harm plot or admission.

This :)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Dude!

@Albatross is not a "Dude" but a "Dudette". :D

Not surprised, like at all but a little intrigued.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Stuff like this doesn't really bother me.

That said, oversight is always a good thing.  

In other words they can look through my emails and download history but I can only present information to the courts if it pertains to a physical harm plot or admission. 

You know how I know you engage in white collar crime..... :rolleyes:

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Nope.

It's just one of those things that should be assumed.

I's just messing with you, as per usual. You have a good point though. I don't know why our countries insist on spying on us?

I's just messing with you, as per usual. You have a good point though. I don't know why our countries insist on spying on us?

So when a f***ing terrorist attack happens or a financial scheme is uncovered they can quickly find the info they need to help them with their investigation.  

xD Gotta love the differences between these threads.

"NSA spying on Americans"

What?! This is absolutely outrageous! I can't believe they would do something like this!

"Canadian Security Establishment spying on Canadians"

Eh, we knew they were probably doing it already.

Good that at least some people don't freak out over things that should be expected. :P

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

So when a flaming terrorist attack happens or a financial scheme is uncovered they can quickly find the info they need to help them with their investigation.

Hmm...good point. I did half think of that when I was asking that question. :blush: *facepalm*

yes this is not a secret. since canada can not spy on its own citizens they are in agreement with the CIA and the NSA to provide "Communications Safety".  in other words monitor the internet.

not a secret at all. 

Don't want to go political but how do they waste money? If you want to talk about waste take a half assed look at America's own defense spending.

The 2 petabyte data center built in the middle of the desert somewhere in Arizona, Nevada, or New Mexico (can't remember which) designed solely to gather and store people's emails. Waste of money if I've ever heard of one. :P

Or maybe the Canadians don't mind that much because they don't have a govt that spends (and wastes) beyond their means?

That could be lol

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

yes this is not a secret. since canada can not spy on its own citizens they are in agreement with the CIA and the NSA to provide "Communications Safety".  in other words monitor the internet.

That's just the thing, it wasn't the CIA or the NSA doing the spying on Canadian citizens, it was the CSE themselves.