What should I review next?

best bang for buck digital audio setup for desk

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I would like to see more case reviews. Probably more smartphone reviews other than just the latest iPhone and Galaxy phones. The LG V30 for example. I love your review format and I don't get the same harsh criticism from some other reviewers (of smartphones).

@LinusTech Get your hands on a Nvidia Tesla M60, you can have 32 concurrent users sharing the card using ESXi. Build a system with:

8 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 (224c/448t) ($80K MSRP)

1TB DDR4-2133 RAM ($11K on eBay)

4 x M60 (128 concurrent users) ($15K on eBay)

Do 128 Gamers, 1 CPU, $107K/128 gamers, that comes to about $835 per gamer.

Dooo eeeeet, you know you want to... 

scale down as costs require... or borrow it, it'd make a sick video

21 hours ago, StackUnderflow said:

@LinusTech Get your hands on a Nvidia Tesla M60, you can have 32 concurrent users sharing the card using ESXi. Build a system with:

8 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 (224c/448t) ($80K MSRP)

1TB DDR4-2133 RAM ($11K on eBay)

4 x M60 (128 concurrent users) ($15K on eBay)

Do 128 Gamers, 1 CPU, $107K/128 gamers, that comes to about $835 per gamer.

Dooo eeeeet, you know you want to... 

scale down as costs require... or borrow it, it'd make a sick video

that has M60 gpu has a total of 4096 cuda cores 16gb of GDDR5 RAM. So divide amoung 128 people it would:

4096/128=32*4=128 cuda cores and 16*1024=16384 Mb. So 16384/128= 128*4= 512 MB of ram.

Excuse me sir, are you asking for a 835 dollar potato as even the cpus will be divided amoung as 1.75 core per user?

Once again. A pentium with a Gt 1030 will have better performance.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

On 9/24/2017 at 12:50 PM, EricSartor said:

Relevant to your recent water cooling vs air cooling video, I have an idea for the next step up from that:

The same thing, but in an exceptionally warm room.  For example, I'm sitting in a boiling hot 28C room right now and my air conditioner is just shitting the bed...and yet my i7 6700K is also sitting at a comfortable 28C with my Noctua NH-U9S on it.

So I'm hoping to answer the question of which type of cooling is better in an extreme situation?  Does water perhaps do a better job when the air in the room is already very warm?

28C is not boiling hot. Wait till you get to the 37 normal summer high I had in my home town. Under a heatwave it would 40C-45.

And 28C is the perfect temp for me.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

that has M60 gpu has a total of 4096 cuda cores 16gb of GDDR5 RAM. So divide amoung 128 people it would:

4096/128=32*4=128 cuda cores and 16*1024=16384 Mb. So 16384/128= 128*4= 512 MB of ram.

Excuse me sir, are you asking for a 835 dollar potato as even the cpus will be divided amoung as 1.75 core per user?

Once again. A pentium with a Gt 1030 will have better performance.

That config is somewhat balls to the walls. The main expense there is 8x latest xeons ($80k). You can get cheaper Ivy/Sandy bridge Xeons on eBay for around half the cores at 1/2-1/10 the price. Of course when it comes to gaming the CPUs will be over-provisioned and some CPU (and GPU) utilization will be stolen from the VMs. But games don't crank the CPUs up to 100% anyways. In anycase, you can get more M60s for better graphics performance or run them at half capacity which would still be pretty great. 

I really don't see why 100 gamers 1 cpu shouldn't be possible even with 8 Ivy bridges and 4 Tesla M60s for around $30k (assuming Linus can get a nice enterprise discount, the kinds that Cray/Rackspace/Amazon can get, that's $300 per gamer). If you think about a service like OnLive, they don't expect everyone to use all the resources all at once so your quality of service will depend on utilization and even in the worst case scenario, they'll still be gaming on 1030s with 1.2 cores + HT of true processing power (if you cheap out and use Ivy bridge), which should be enough for "just gaming at 1080p on mediumish (more so if you do non-demanding games like Minecraft and Half Life 2)".  

Finally, I'd like to point out that this is still an literal order or magnitude higher than their old 10 gamers 1 CPU video, doesn't require any cooling hijinks (SuperMicro has cases for M60s I'm sure). Hell even 50 gamers 1 CPU with M60s would be pretty interesting to watch (if you half the capacity and run 8 M60s  you run at high on 1080p or medium on 4k). They also get a nice rendering rig out of it if they get to keep the hardware and they can do other IaaS projects like maybe virtualized editing stations where editors use thin-clients to connect to a server running premiere. This all conform's with @LinusTech's grand vision of having the compute resource to be a part of the future infrastructure of homes/communities and that these resources are allocated as a service rather than ownership of the physical hardware. Besides, when has he done a video that's pragmatic, I enjoy balls to the walls content even though they don't make financial sense (Which is why he's doing it and not me).

Just for a laugh, its not really the kind of thing for your audience but you guys like monitors so much and are getting more and more into cinema grade video gear. How about a flanders scientific SDI input colour grading monitor. 

I would be interested in seeing that and im not even a video guy. But I think it would fit right in there with your red cameras and stuff. 

@LinusTech what about a review and comparison between a few (5-20 SOC boards? I'm sure you could get a few manufacturers to send some over...

And you can compare them against many different use cases... though, not sure if you have any coders in your team, and if you did it'd be quite a long project...

I like the idea, hope you do too. :)

On 29/01/2015 at 4:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Hey, I found this service called "Kill Ping" (Kill Ping Website). And i wonder if it actually works... I often use a mobile hotspot, and wonder if this actually would improve my ping for some game experiences. Is it possible for you guys to do a test anytime? - This does connect very well to your video: "Outdoor Gaming – Ultimate Camping Battle Station!" Thanks!

@LinusTech do a video where you buy a cheap 300 to 400 dollar dell or hp tower and spend a ton of money to upgrade it to a powerful rig

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

@LinusTech Review a comparison betweeen Ryzen 1600X and the i5-8600k. You didn't do this i5 (the better one) on your comparison of the coffee lake CPUs. Since most people look will want something at a good 'deal' or price that they don't need to stream, edit, and play games with at the same time, this area is like the overclockable middle/upper-middle level of CPUs. It would also be cool to see the the basic and the overclocking to see if the 6 core with higher Frequency with Overclocking is better or not than AMD with double the threads with multi-threading ability that the i5 does not have.

Then maybe bring up the top again of the new standard of mother boards that the coffee lake generation 8 needs to run on and since this generation runs cooler than kaby lake, what would be a good complimentary motherboard (now that there are more on the market) would be for the i5 8600k.

And maybe mention what kind of GPU would best fit for this CPU without wasting any potential, that fits this "upper-mid-tier " level and price type of build people, like myself, might be going for this holiday season/early next year. Or if AMD's 5 1600x is still the better value for building a system overall based on CPU, Motherboard, GPU comparable pricing, between these two CPUs

I would love to see this!!!

@LinusTech Streaming benchmarks, 1600 vs 8600k and 1700 vs 8600k with viewers and streamer experience comparison.

Edited by pajpaj

@LinusTech

Idea #1:

Can you do a comparison for viable recording/streaming options? Basically it'd come down to these options:

A. 1 PC with an overkill CPU for gaming and encoding

B. 1 PC with 2 GPU's (any combination of AMD and Nvidia ones), where 1 GPU handles the games and the other handles encoding the video (using AMD VCE and Nvidia NVENC, respectively).

C. 2 PC's with mediocre CPU's, where 1 PC plays games while the other handles the encoding (but without using a capture card, so using something like a LAN connection between both PC's).

In the end, you would have 9 tests:

1. Option A with local recording
  2. Option A with streaming
  3. Option A with both local recording and streaming simultaneously
  4. Option B with local recording
  5. Option B with streaming
  6. Option B with local recording and streaming simultaneously
  7. Option C with local recording
  8. Option C with streaming
  9. Option C with local recording and streaming simultaneously

I feel like this topic appeals to quite a few people since recording and streaming is very popular. This tests a lot of variables, and also can be kept to stay below a certain price point (such as Option C using 2 PC's with mediocre CPU's, like using an old prebuilt or something instead building a separate PC just for encoding).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea #2

Find the best 3.5mm jack to Bluetooth adapters for headphones/headsets. You can include both 3.5mm male to Bluetooth and 3.5mm female to Bluetooth, since some headphones have female 3.5mm ports. You can even just include this in another Handy Tech Under $100 video.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Western Digital Series of PR and EX Series of NAS. I know but low end budget stuff like this is what some people need instead of a rack mount NAS.

I personally use an EX4100 and with the new Firmware from this year a huge performance boost was addressed, from my point of view.

How to set off site back up using these types of NAS would nice as well.

Since WD's Purchase of ScanDisk New things should be popping up.

So I would like to see something about performance from their newer line of SSDs and such as well.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Thermal Shock, just give a quick history of why it was relevant and not so much today. But it still can do damage.. just not as much of a risk today.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

@LinusTech  You should review quite a few gaming laptops. The gigabyte aero 15 and 15x seem like good blade competitors, complete with per key rgb and a numpad, not to mention the xps like screen. An aero 15 review is what I would like to see the most. it would be even better if you incorporated them in a 13-15 inch thin and light gaming laptop roundup for razer blade competitors with decent battery life and gtx 1060/1070. I think a lot of us would like to know which laptop is best for long periods of unplugged productivity but also intense gaming and video editing and CAD. I would personally include the following:

• Asus ROG GL503VM
  • Acer Predator 15
  • Acer Predator Helios 300
  • Acer Aspire V Nitro Black Edition (Winner of the longest name for a laptop award)
  • Alienware 13
  • Alienware 15
  • aourus x3 v7
  • Lenovo Leigon y520
  • Lenovo Leigon y720 (ugly imo)
  • Hp omen 15t
  • HP omen 15
  • Gigabyte aero 14
  • Gigabyte aero 15
  • Gigabyte aero 15x
  • Gigabyte p55  (who names a laptop after a GUN)
  • Sager NP8156
  • Razer blade 14 (The OG)
  • Msi GS63VR
  • msi GS43VR
  • MSI GE63VR (not the same thing as the gS63vr)
  • msi gs62vr
  • msi pe62vr (basicaly a recolored gs62vr)
  • dell inspiron gaming gtx 1060

This does seem like a lot of laptops, but alot of them you have already reviewed, and the ones you have not are all quite similar to each other (literaly all the msi ones). I would suggest the following review categories

• Preformance (benchmarks and thermals)
  • Build quality and durability
  • ease of transport
  • input devices (touch screen, trackpad, keyboard etc)
  • screen and audio
  • asthetics (some people dont want laptops that scream LEET GAMER)
  • I/O
  • upgradability
  • Bloatware (Norton, winzip, etc)

I would suggest having different price ranges for each of the winners. I think alot of people would greatly appreciate a solid comparison of these machines. Im personally searching for a CAD laptop that can also be used to type up essays and such. A video like this would be great in that it would still be classic LTT, but give viewers conclusive information.  I know 24 laptops sounds like alot, but such a video would rake in TONS of views. Also, you can make two videos, one for the 15 inchers, and one for the 13-14 inchers. alternatively, you could split it again to make 4 videos, with the ones above or bellow 1500 usd or something like that. 24 laptops sounds like alot, but split it 4 ways and 6 laptops per video is not that bad. This would be a genuinely useful video for so many people. I heard in your stream that the LTT channel was not doing too well, and i think a video like this would help alot. Sure, this would be a long project for LMG, but i believe it will be worth it. Many people, including myself, would be overjoyed if a video like this were released.

Alienware 15 R3

GTX 1070

32 GB RAM

512gb NVME + 1TB HDD

No regrets

what about a holy $h!t about dead tech without a real replacement 

like dot matrix printers, (as they can do carbon copys)
or old school calculator, (like plug in wall, some with printers, but enable the users to enter data without having to look at it like a phone would)
stenographers typewriters (which could be a holy crap for most to see) 
magnetic tape storage (which to my understanding is still in use for longer term storage over flash or hard drive style storage) 
hell you could even extend that into things like OS's like why some of the many "high tech" machines in hospitals running (in some cases) 20yo computer software/hardware due to the nature of overall costs, closed systems, and development times 

On 01/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, DeezNoNos said:

28C is not boiling hot. Wait till you get to the 37 normal summer high I had in my home town. Under a heatwave it would 40C-45.

And 28C is the perfect temp for me.

i sure second that, and laughed at the og poster claiming 28c as "boiling hot"
while his computer coped with the "extreme" temp

I mean there are some other factors like humidity, altitude, to name the big two 

but which cooling is better (as in air vs water) in real extreme temps (I'm thinking 35c plus) they both are winners, but it really would depend on what your loads are
ie, if in your work flow you spend an hour designing something, which then requires some rendering that full loads the PC for 10 minutes or something, water all the way (the larger mass to spread the heat means you'll be able to load the CPU longer before throttling) 
however air has one advantage, and that is less points of failure, (ie, pump and fan on water vs two fans on air cooled)  
there is something that is sometimes overlooked in humid places (where AC is used alot, and a PC might be under super low loads the bulk of the time) and that is failure of the AC (which might be something like 16C) with an outside temp of 35+ with 110% humidity, you can have condensation for on the tank