Yet another audio levels in recent videos topic!

Kotobars

Hai there! If anyone from Linus crew will read it, please take few moments and do this:

1. Put the headphones on, put that Linus NCIX Tech Tips video on and put the audio levels so that you can clearly hear everything (aka everything to the absolute max)  

2. Without changing anything, put any other youtube video on, lets say Elrics video -

3. After an ear surgery to get your hearing back (tehehe), please fix the audio levels in your production. Maybe film like a 5 sec test each time and check the audio levels or smth, i dont know, but its really bad =( 

I think most prefer to keep their windows sound levels at 50 and then get youtube at close to max, but i have to really turn everything up to hear anything, which causes i.e. random skype messages during a video kill my ears, and if i forget to put sound levels back at normal, any next youtube video molests them again

Sorry if anything sounded rude or demanding, I just wanted to point that issue out again, not like its the biggest issue in the world, but still an issue!

Cheers for amazing content

I've got a VERY simple solution for Linus.

In your editing software, and it should have this, on your audio, NORMALISE it.

It will pull all of the quiet bits up and loud bits down, and normal-ise it all down to 0db. You will loose dynamic range, but in your sort of videos, that's not necessary.

It will fix the quietness and stop really loud peaks.

Its a very simple thing which will add so much to your videos, its super minimal processing that takes a few seconds, but is WELL worth it.

Hope he see's this fix, I've been trying to ask him for a long time! :)

Yeah for most of the software (and especially the one I use), it should be a one-button feature. Someone tell Edzel/Slick/Linus about this?

I've got a VERY simple solution for Linus.

In your editing software, and it should have this, on your audio, NORMALISE it.

It will pull all of the quiet bits up and loud bits down, and normal-ise it all down to 0db. You will loose dynamic range, but in your sort of videos, that's not necessary.

It will fix the quietness and stop really loud peaks.

Its a very simple thing which will add so much to your videos, its super minimal processing that takes a few seconds, but is WELL worth it.

Hope he see's this fix, I've been trying to ask him for a long time! :)

soooooooooooooooooooooooo a compressor

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

i dont have an issue with it i find they sound about the same volume mind you im going threw 2 mixers and a amp

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

soooooooooooooooooooooooo a compressor

No, here's an explanation as to why;

Compression (real time):

Compression is a process used to reduce the level of a waveform when it's amplitude goes above a certain threshold, set by the user. It is used primarily to keep something at a constant dynamic level and reduce large differences in level throughout a track. Most of his recording equipment will have this built in, like the FS700, so if he sets the threshold too low, there you go, the current problem.

Where as...

Normalisation (post):

As I've already said, normalisation is where you bring the level of an audio waveform up to a peak of 0db. Rounding off the audio and subduing large dynamic range, in which case is good for linus's videos.

Compression isn't what he needs, normalisation of the track in post certainly is. :)

I like Linus's video and stuff but someone seriously needs to watch the video before it gets uploaded I always see editing errors and audio problems in a final version of the video.

I always find Linus' media to be very quiet.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion