Read this book in 24 hours, or it will self-destruct

Choose between $300,000 for a self-destructing physical copy of "Private Vegas," or try your luck at getting a self-destructing digital version with a 24-hour countdown timer.

There's a very special advance copy of James Patterson's new thriller "Private Vegas" up for sale. Theextremely limited edition of one book is selling for $294,038, but you can't keep it in your library. It's designed to self-destruct. And you'll need to sign a waiver.

The book comes with a complete package arranged for a Patterson superfan. It starts with a flight to "an undisclosed location" and includes champagne when you get there. Expensive champagne, presumably. A bomb squad will hold the copy of the book open for you while you read it using gold binoculars. Then, you get to watch the book blow up before having a five-course meal with James Patterson, an American author best known for the Alex Cross detective series. Ridiculous? Absolutely. But it's a doozy of a publicity stunt.

Is $300,000 a little much for you? Fans also have a shot at 1,000 digital copies of the book delivered through an iPad app. Random readers are given a code to redeem for the book. Codes will be dropping periodically over the next few days atselfdestructingbook.com.

Each digital copy comes with a 24-hour countdown timer. When the time's up, the book disappears. The book's website shows which readers are currently devouring the book, how far along they are, how much time is left, and the speed at which they are reading. Readers are also encouraged to report their stress levels while reading, starting at "goosebumps" and ramping up to "heart attack."

pattersonapp.jpg

This app has an expiration date.

I attempted to get one of the digital copies of the book, which turned into an adventure in its own right as I was initially thwarted by a failed Facebook connection in the Chrome browser on my iPad.

I tried Safari, made the connection and then repeatedly got a "Mission Unaccomplished" notice when I tried to select a code. On a last-ditch effort, I netted a code using my desktop browser. If the book itself as exciting as the process of getting one, it could be a good read.

There's no going back with the special digital copy. You swipe a page and it goes poof forever. A digital representation of flames eats each page as you move through the book while a timer up top reminds you how you need to read fast. Even worse, random visitors to the selfdestructingbook.com website can steal time from your countdown, squeezing the life out of your precious reading moments.

While you can certainly order a regular copy of the book for yourself when it comes out on January 26, there's something both fun and a little stressful about having James Patterson threatening to steal your book away in just a few short, tense hours.

privatevegascopy.jpg  

Source : http://themosthrillingreadingexperiencemoneycanbuybyjamespatterson.com/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

You have to read it in 24hours since you open it, or just in 24hours (as in it doesn't count when it's closed)

Because I have read some easy 300 page books in 5 hours or so.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Though very needless and crazy, this looks amazing!

Gold binoculars, champaign, and a meal with the author... classy as fuck.

You have to read it in 24hours since you open it, or just in 24hours (as in it doesn't count when it's closed)

Because I have read some easy 300 page books in 5 hours or so.

as far as the video goes, the counter only proceeds if the book is opened, meaning when you read it

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Spend 300k on a book or buy a Lamborghini... Tough chioce.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

It would be pretty funny if the book turned out to be terrible, or even just mediocre-at-best for that matter.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

How about scanning the book in those 24 hours instead of reading it.

Mystery is the source of all true science.