What's your Religion

nicon

I hope you have a great day mate. :)

@OlekKing

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

"Your personal belief is wrong because my personal opinion is right and you are mentally challenged"

Thats all im getting from this thread...

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I hope you have a great day mate. :)

@OlekKing

Sure you too, those comments weren't even directed at you since you never said that you held those positions.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Ok serious question now. For those of you who are religios, how did you end up with with your religion? How many of you grew into it.

I was an atheist, honestly. Father was atheist (he found God much later than I did) and my mother is Christian. I was thirteen when I became a Christian. I had picked the Bible, Qu'ran, and some other religious texts up and began reading them. I wanted to understand why people would believe in something like God, and what could possibly give them such a concrete belief and love for it. After someone showed me an incorrectly translated word in the Bible I decided it was time to see for myself.

I read the Bible once through and Jesus Christ's words had left me thinking very differently about Christianity, something I used to hate a lot. Jesus Christ was teaching love, understanding, compassion, peace and tolerance in his life and it all just made me start thinking differently. It is really hard to explain, because it is so vastly different for each person, but yea...that's basically it.

edit

I think this should be posted as a reminder...

Code of Conduct:

2. Harassment and Profanities

You may not post content that contains material relating to the following: racism, hatred, violent language, threats, real-life threats, insults, extreme vulgar language, flaming, otherwise inappropriate or hurtful language, or harassment. Attempting to bypass the website's swear filter by replacing letters or intentionally misspelling words is not considered any differently.. In addition to words included in the censor list, sexual remarks may be considered profane when used in certain contexts and as such we suggest avoiding them altogether.

We have zero tolerance for personal attacks whether public or private on any individual or group ("personal attack" will be determined on a case by case basis by management). You may not use any method of delivery for materials which refer to ethnic/national origin, ideological or religious beliefs, gender, or sexual preference in a derogatory, demeaning, or provocative context.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

"Your personal belife is wrong because my personal opinion is right and you are mentally challenged"

Thats all im getting from this thread...

Then you're not reading much.

Why people care about what others believe? Because it can affect the whole of society, in the US government for example, you have a whole bunch of conservative Christians who make important decisions and all the time you hear how they "consult with God", that's what Bush said before invading Iraq, he said that it was a mission from God.

Just using the USA as an example since i know a lot of people from there, Atheists are still viewed as some sort of devils there and get persecuted all of the time, you got conservative media talking about the "war on christmas" every single year and how all the Atheists are trying to spread their "Atheistic agenda" and remove God from everywhere, ignoring the fact that the USA was founded on secularism, apart from France it's the only country or one of the very few who has a Secular constitution. But today it's still dominated by Christianity it seems.

You don't see how that affects everyone? If what you believed in didn't affect your decision making whatsoever, therefore not affecting other peoples lives, i would give a rats ass of what you believe in.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Sure you too, those comments weren't even directed at you since you never said that you held those positions.

Alright mate, thanks! :)

Once again, you have a fantastic day and just remember.....:D (a joke of my dads). LOL

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Then you're not reading much.

Why people care about what others believe? Because it can affect the whole of society, in the US government for example, you have a whole bunch of conservative Christians who make important decisions and all the time you hear how they "consult with God", that's what Bush said before invading Iraq, he said that it was a mission from God.

Just using the USA as an example since i know a lot of people from there, Atheists are still viewed as some sort of devils there and get persecuted all of the time, you got conservative media talking about the "war on christmas" every single year and how all the Atheists are trying to spread their "Atheistic agenda" and remove God from everywhere, ignoring the fact that the USA was founded on secularism, apart from France it's the only country or one of the very few who has a Secular constitution. But today it's still dominated by Christianity it seems.

You don't see how that affects everyone? If what you believed in didn't affect your decision making whatsoever, therefore not affecting other peoples lives, i would give a rats ass of what you believe in.

I wasnt talking to you in the first place but whatever.

We have different views on the world but thats how the world works.

If you plan on starting a flame war or whatever, please PM me, ive seen enough shit in my short life that i dont have much of a temper anymore.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

IMO, you should expand 'Agnostic' to two sections, 'Agnostic theist' and 'Agnostic Atheist.'

agnostic-v-gnostic-v-atheist-v-theist.pn

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I was an atheist, honestly. Father was atheist (he found God much later than I did) and my mother is Christian. I was thirteen when I became a Christian. I had picked the Bible, Qu'ran, and some other religious texts up and began reading them. I wanted to understand why people would believe in something like God, and what could possibly give them such a concrete belief and love for it. After someone showed me an incorrectly translated word in the Bible I decided it was time to see for myself.

I read the Bible once through and Jesus Christ's words had left me thinking very differently about Christianity, something I used to hate a lot. Jesus Christ was teaching love, understanding, compassion, peace and tolerance in his life and it all just made me start thinking differently. It is really hard to explain, because it is so vastly different for each person, but yea...that's basically it.

I love reading these BS stories about atheists becoming religious. Priceless. Also you turned to Christianity before you probably even had good mental faculties...

All of those qualities can be taught without having to resort to ancient stories and fictional characters.

IMO, you should expand 'Agnostic' to two sections, 'Agnostic theist' and 'Agnostic Atheist.'

Exactly, thanks for linking this, it's perfect.

Inwhich case i am the empty space in the middle between the four.

I worship pie. *cuts a slice*

-Jim Hensen

I love reading these BS stories about atheists becoming religious. Priceless. Also you turned to Christianity before you probably even had good mental faculties...

All of those qualities can be taught without having to resort to ancient stories and fictional characters.

Translates to "this is my opinion, which i will later claim to be fact and am currently using to belittle you"

-Jim Hensen

Translates to "this is my opinion, which i will later claim to be fact and am currently using to belittle you"

He presented an anecdote which is used all the time by apologists in a desperate attempt to get some sort of credence.

He presented an anecdote which is used all the time by apologists in a desperate attempt to get some sort of credence.

If what you say is true he's apologizing.

Whether it was an attack or not you came off as harsh...

That... doesnt make sense yo.

-Jim Hensen

Nope. Not even close.

There is no historical evidence to support the idea that moral and ethical precepts originate with — or are dependent on — religion.

The conflation of morality with religion is a relatively recent development in human history, and it is limited to certain peoples in certain places who practice certain religions.

There already is a substantial body of scientific research which demonstrates that moral and pro-social behavior has a long evolutionary history and that such behavior is biologically rooted.  

Some primates, untutored children, and adults in all cultures appear to possess basic concepts of altruism, cooperation, fairness, sharing, and tend to treat others in a manner that could easily be described as “the golden rule.” Primates and humans are intensely social, so these findings should come as no surprise.

The earliest legal codes - which specifically described behaviors to be encouraged/discouraged in the form of do’s and don’ts, pre-date the rise of the oldest world religions. While the Ten Commandments (Jewish) and the maxims of the Rig Veda (Hindu) are respectably old, both dating from around 1,500 BC, the Sumerians had a legal code (which addressed moral and ethical issues) more than 1000 years earlier.  

The Sumerian code makes no reference to religion and is not based on religion. By the same token, the Babylonian King Hammurabi formulated his famous law code (based on moral and ethical behavior) hundreds of years before the Ten Commandments or Rig Veda were conceived or written. Hammurabi’s code was neither based on nor grounded in religion.

The basic tenets which are common to most morally-based religions — “don’t steal, don’t lie, be kind, help others, etc.” — have been around for a long, long time. These precepts pre-date the rise of the first city-states (~4,500 BC), and are commonly found in hunter-gatherer societies.

In all likelihood, these precepts have been present in such societies for at least 50,000 years.

That was an interesting read. Thanks for clearing that one up.  ^_^

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

If what you say is true he's apologizing.

Whether it was an attack or not you came off as harsh...

That... doesnt make sense yo.

You can make a quick search and you'll see how often religious apologists attempt to use examples of religious scientists, or scientists considered atheist who turned to religion later on in life, or just some random guy off the street who's probably just reciting a text given to him, which means absolutely nothing, we have modular brains and even the best scientists who are perfectly rational when it comes to their job can fall to irrationality when it comes to other issues, that's how the man who sequenced the human genome can be a Christian...And let's not forget that many people are indoctrinated from a young age and many can't break away from that even with the best education.

And this guy was saying how he was an atheist before he was 13, probably too young to even think about it, i guess he simply wasn't indoctrinated as a child, and then became a Christian after reading some Bible verses lol, at 13 years of age, before he even has all the mental faculties to tackle complex issues such as this one. His story gives him no credence and just seems like the standard fabricated crap used by apologists.

That was an interesting read. Thanks for clearing that one up.  ^_^

If you want to go into detail you can probably easily find the mentioned studies and research, don't think i have to do it for you.

You can make a quick search and you'll see how often religious apologists attempt to use examples of religious scientists, or scientists considered atheist who turned to religion later on in life, or just some random guy off the street who's probably just reciting a text given to him, which means absolutely nothing, we have modular brains and even the best scientists who are perfectly rational when it comes to their job can fall to irrationality when it comes to other issues, that's how the man who sequenced the human genome can be a Christian...

And this guy was saying how he was an atheist before he was 13, probably too young to even think about it, i guess he simply wasn't indoctrinated as a child, and then became a Christian after reading some Bible verses lol, at 13 years of age, before he even has all the mental faculties to tackle complex issues such as this one. His story gives him no credence and just seems like the standard fabricated crap used by apologists.

Just going to drop some shit here.

age. Means. Nothing.

Everyone developes mentally and spiritually and physically different to everyone else.

I have friends who got married when they were 10. They're 34 now and still just as in love as when they met.

I realized my view on the world and came to my conclusion of "fuck it i dont care anymore" before i was 12.

I just think by saying someone was 13 and holding that over thier head like it means they didnt know anything prioir to being as old as you are is both immature and pointless.

You enjoy argueing.(atleast i assume, seeing your semi-full offensive nature in your posts on this thread)(offensive as in attack, not "OH THOS OFFENDS ME *retweets to all thier sensationalist friends*") That is a very dangerious thing my friend, i am warning you to stop now, ive seen people turn from fun loving easy to get along with friends into horrible selfish creatures because of a few arguements.

-Jim Hensen

age. Means. Nothing.

Everyone developes mentally and spiritually and physically different to everyone else.

I have friends who got married when they were 10. They're 34 now and still just as in love as when they met.

I realized my view on the world and came to my conclusion of "fuck it i dont care anymore" before i was 12.

I just think by saying someone was 13 and holding that over thier head like it means they didnt know anything prioir to being as old as you are is both immature and pointless.

You enjoy argueing.(atleast i assume, seeing your semi-full offensive nature in your posts on this thread)(offensive as in attack, not "OH THOS OFFENDS ME *retweets to all thier sensationalist friends*") That is a very dangerious thing my friend, i am warning you to stop now, ive seen people turn from fun loving easy to get along with friends into horrible selfish creatures because of a few arguements.

I love your sig, the bit in green everybody should read. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

age. Means. Nothing.

According to brain experts from Children's Hospital Boston, teen brains are only around 80 percent developed. New research shows that the human brain may not reach its full development until a person's twenties or possibly even the thirties. The part of the teen brain not yet fully developed is the frontal lobe, which is the part of the brain that manages impulse control, judgment, insight, and emotional control. Source: http://www.childrenshospital.org/health-topics#/category:/tab:liAll/page:1/view:img

You saying "age means nothing" trumps and spits in the face of medical science and research? Okay.

How do i take you seriously after such ridiculous claims and that horrible grammar of yours, i could barely understand your last paragraph. Children being married at 10? Do you like in some redneck town or what?

According to brain experts from Children's Hospital Boston, teen brains are only around 80 percent developed. New research shows that the human brain may not reach its full development until a person's twenties or possibly even the thirties. The part of the teen brain not yet fully developed is the frontal lobe, which is the part of the brain that manages impulse control, judgment, insight, and emotional control. Source: http://www.childrenshospital.org/health-topics#/category:/tab:liAll/page:1/view:img

You saying "age means nothing" trumps and spits in the face of medical science and research? Okay.

How do i take you seriously after such ridiculous claims and that horrible grammar of yours, i could barely understand your last paragraph. Children being married at 10? Do you like in some redneck town or what?

My english sucks because i never cared to delve into my second language that i dont NEED to know perfectly so i said fuck it.

And no, infact renecks are the bane of my existance.

Im not really spitting in the face of medical science, rather saying that its not always 100% accurate.

Again, you enjoy argueing, if you want to start a flame war or anything similar PM me and we can argue our asses off. I dont want the community to see me angry... i say some shit i wish i wouldnt sometimes

-Jim Hensen

Naw, just Portland. 

Portlanders Unite!

No offence, but dude, you sound so angry towards people, just sayin'!

Because a transgender lives in a redneck town. >.> that makes total sense.

-Jim Hensen

I don't know how bad this makes me sound, but... I like the argumentative nature of this particular topic.  I know that religious beliefs should be challenged.  Most of those that avidly practice any sort of organized religion, are usually surrounded by like-minded individuals.  To have people with confilicting ideologies argue, can be productive to all the parties... when done right. 

I have to agree with OlekKing on a lot of his posts, but I don't have to like that manner in which he he is posting... which is not so bad, but is confrontational.  Maybe confrontation is what is needed to get the conversation started.

Indoctrination is a huge gripe of mine.  To teach children about god, send them to Sunday school and then by the age of twelve or so... ASK them to decide whether or not they believe.  They don't have a choice.  The people they trust the most have been grinding religion into their lives, their whole lives.