Speaker Recommendation? Wide budget range

jaypro

I've been a headphone/headset user most of my life, and I'm looking into buying some actually speakers for my computer.  My budget is anywhere from $10 to $300 or even more, but specifically what I'm interested is to actually know about the difference in quality between a $10 and $100 and $1000 speaker.

From my research reading forums, most of what I've learned is that everything sucks.  Every speaker system bar the ultra-expensive ones are bashed on for sucking and being overpriced.  And everyone loves to bash on pretty much everything Best Buy has to offer (Bose, Logitech, etc.).

I've been to Best buy and heard their demo units, and I can definitely see the difference between the $15 logitech ones and the $300 Bose ones (that everyone says are overpriced).

Is there anyway to actually hear the other 100 speakers that Best Buy doesn't offer without just trusting random reviewers on the internet and picking one?

I just want the best sound for my dollar, budget is secondary. i.e. If it sounds $100 better, I don't mind paying $100 more.

If you have a budget around 1000$ perhaps look into getting a dedicated hifi amp + speakers. No PC speakers will be remotely close to an actual hifi-system ;)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Bose aren't really overpriced for what you get! Go to a hifi shop and try stuff out. DJ shops and just audio shops will have speakers to.

hello

Bose aren't really overpriced for what you get! Go to a hifi shop and try stuff out. DJ shops and just audio shops will have speakers to.

How would I go about finding one of these shops in my area? If i google Audio shop I just get Car Audio Shops near my area

What do you intend on using the speakers for exactly? That could help people point you in the right direction.

Also your speaker quality is only part of the audio system, the audio quality matters just as much.  I would recommend looking into a DAC to really get the most out of any speaker set you purchase.

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)

Please, never give advice on audio again.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

What do you intend on using the speakers for exactly? That could help people point you in the right direction.

Also your speaker quality is only part of the audio system, the audio quality matters just as much.  I would recommend looking into a DAC to really get the most out of any speaker set you purchase.

Maybe my headphone  will help to understand the kind of 'level' of audio I'm looking for.  I have a Audiotechnica A700.  I also used to use a Razer Headset.  After using the A700, I just couldn't use the Razer headset anymore as headphones, and I ended up wearing the headset around my neck for a mic while using the A700.

I've also had the opportunity to try my friends super expensive Grados headphones (can't remember the model number), but I remember them being WAYY more expensive, and even though I could notice a difference in audio, it felt like a laterally shift in audio quality rather than a upgrade.

I would recommend looking into a DAC to really get the most out of any speaker set you purchase.

A good DAC might cost more than the speakers he is looking for ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Bose is like B&O, 999/1000 way too overpriced.

How would I go about finding one of these shops in my area? If i google Audio shop I just get Car Audio Shops near my area

Really depends where you are from. But big electronics retailers usually have a Hifi Section, mostly even with noise isolated rooms you can go listen to different speakers and amps.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I am going to buy the  Corsair SP2500s today i think..Or the Klipsch PM 2.1..

I wouldn't buy speakers from "computer companies" like Corsair, Logitech, etc.

Look for brand who manufacture active studio monitors like Adam, Behringer, KRK, Genelec, etc.

Good value for money are Audioengine A2 (under 200$) and A5+ (under 400$) ;)

I'm actually really interested in the Audioengine A2's, but I'm afraid to spend $200 on something that I've never heard before.  Are these available at any physical store?

Edit: it seems you are from Europe, so you probably don't know about US store ;o.  I may just cave and order them on Amazon and just hope they meet or exceed my expectations.

Please, never give advice on audio again.

Bose are pricey but in my experience there damn good. Your not getting as much sound for the money as you would with hifi but just for getting and plugging in its pretty good.

Also i'm not on about the £1000 bose stereo's or whatever. I'm on about there cheaper stuff.

hello

I'm actually really interested in the Audioengine A2's, but I'm afraid to spend $200 on something that I've never heard before.  Are these available at any physical store?

Edit: it seems you are from Europe, so you probably don't know about US store ;o.  I may just cave and order them on Amazon and just hope they meet or exceed my expectations.

They are really good deal for the money. Keep in mind that they sound even better after some days, as they need some "break-in" time ;) If you order them directly online at Audioengine Store you can test them for 30 days and if you don't like them, just send them back and you will get a full refund. (actually most "better" speaker brands offer such "trial periods")

Bose are pricey but in my experience there damn good. Your not getting as much sound for the money as you would with hifi but just for getting and plugging in its pretty good.

Also i'm not on about the £1000 bose stereo's or whatever. I'm on about there cheaper stuff.

You said that for the money they are good. For the same money for even entry level bose you can get a decent quality equipment.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I wouldn't go a2 or a5. if you're set on audioengine you can get a lepai amp for $20 and audioengine p4(passive a5's) for $250

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I wouldn't go a2 or a5. if you're set on audioengine you can get a lepai amp for $20 and audioengine p4(passive a5's) for $250

I'm not set on anything.  I don't have any brand attachment to any particular audio company.

I just really like to 'hear' before buying, and if that's not possible, then there is not much else I can do but just take other peoples word for whats worth it and whats not.

Is there anything you would recommend, any brand?