XFX RMA on Returning "Equivalent" Cards

jaypro

I've been reading through forums after I shipped my XFX HD 6850 back for RMA because it had stopped working, and apparently, rather than shipping back the same card, XFX will ship back what they call an "equivalent" card.  Which in this case, I would guess would be like the 7770.

However, I've been running the cards in Crossfire, and I emailed them telling them that I actually want a 6850 back so I can keep them in crossfire.  They've made no response.  Am I just boned if they just ship me back a 7770 anyway?

You could sell the other 6850 and get another 7770 or vice versa

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

The 7770 will be better, about 90% as good as the crossfire setup. they cant do anything about your 6850 as there are no available spare parts, they arent being manufactured so a 7770 will be quite a good choice. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I've been reading through forums after I shipped my XFX HD 6850 back for RMA because it had stopped working, and apparently, rather than shipping back the same card, XFX will ship back what they call an "equivalent" card.  Which in this case, I would guess would be like the 7770.

However, I've been running the cards in Crossfire, and I emailed them telling them that I actually want a 6850 back so I can keep them in crossfire.  They've made no response.  Am I just boned if they just ship me back a 7770 anyway?

typically they'll send you something of equal value,not equal performance.

so they would probably ship a card worth a similar amount,like a 7850/7870

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Thanks for the reassuring responses!

I'll make sure to post back what they end up shipping back to me.

I just got my replacement for my RMA'd XFX 6870 back a few days ago. It was an other 6870.

(Aftermarket heatsink instead if the original reference). I can't be sure if it's a new one or a refurb (box condition would suggest refurb) but I ended up with the same card regardless. If they can send you a refurb, they'll do that before sending you a new one.

As far as what they would replace it with if not a 6850, it's hard to say. In the paperwork they had me print out, it said replacements would be of equal preformance, contrary to what mvitkun said. But that's just what the paperwork said and being my first ever RMA, I can't say what is typical, generally, across all bands or XFX specifically. In the paperwork, it also said it could be an equivalent card from either AMD or Nvidia, potentially screwing you out of your Crossfire setup in that way as well.

Also, as a side note, don't expect to hear back from them. After the email saying the RMA was approved, the only thing I got was an email with a tracking number for the return. No email saying they got it. No repair status. No shipment confirmation. Nothing. An annoyance but I got my card replaced (actually runs 20 degrees C cooler) and it's holding up so far so I'm happy with how things turned out.

Just my two cents since I just finished the RMA process with XFX myself.

Not sure if the laws in US and Canada work the same, but for things like that here, if they can't give you the card you bought (6850) they absolutely have to give you a current gen equivalent MODEL (not equivalent performance). So a 7850.

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

XFX customer service is legendary, I had a friend who had a failed 6970, they sent him back a 7970 Ghz edition lol !

I just got my replacement for my RMA'd XFX 6870 back a few days ago. It was an other 6870.

(Aftermarket heatsink instead if the original reference). I can't be sure if it's a new one or a refurb (box condition would suggest refurb) but I ended up with the same card regardless. If they can send you a refurb, they'll do that before sending you a new one.

As far as what they would replace it with if not a 6850, it's hard to say. In the paperwork they had me print out, it said replacements would be of equal preformance, contrary to what mvitkun said. But that's just what the paperwork said and being my first ever RMA, I can't say what is typical, generally, across all bands or XFX specifically. In the paperwork, it also said it could be an equivalent card from either AMD or Nvidia, potentially screwing you out of your Crossfire setup in that way as well.

Also, as a side note, don't expect to hear back from them. After the email saying the RMA was approved, the only thing I got was an email with a tracking number for the return. No email saying they got it. No repair status. No shipment confirmation. Nothing. An annoyance but I got my card replaced (actually runs 20 degrees C cooler) and it's holding up so far so I'm happy with how things turned out.

Just my two cents since I just finished the RMA process with XFX myself.

Cool.  Maybe they will still have Refub 6850s for me to get.

About the Nvidia or AMD thing: That is written there just for the XFX Nvidia Cards that they made long time ago that still have lifetime warranty.  Since they don't make Nvidia cards anymore, they ship AMD cards out.

XFX customer service is legendary, I had a friend who had a failed 6970, they sent him back a 7970 Ghz edition lol !

I must have been screwed over then. :p

I must have been screwed over then. :P

maybe I can get a Titan or 7990 for my 7850 I Gb. It was on sale for 145$ from 180-190$$. Who Knows. I'd ur friend do it. 

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.