Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi i am kind of a noob at freenas and all that so yeah. I installed it on my old pc and everything works. Except one thing. When i shared the network on my freenas IP i went to my MacBook And opened Finder (Which is kinda like file explorer for mac) Anyway and i could find my server i could upload to it and everything but when i went to my PC I opened file explorer and went to the network tab. But nothing showed up. So im kinda confused My PC Is running Windows 8.1 Pro, My Server PC is some Compaq pc and my MacBook is running OSX Yosemite And its the 2012 Macbook Pro. Thanks any help is appreciated  

What kind of share did you make?

Windows (nativley) only supports CIFS/SMB while Mac OS X supports both AFP abd CIFS/SMB.

edit: What version of FreeNAS are you running and what are the specs of the PC it's  installed on? 

CPU: i5-3490k @ 4.0Ghz | CPU & GPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop |  Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1866Mhz | Graphics Card: ASUS R9 290

HDD: Seagate 1TBx2 + 240GB Plextor M6e | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 | Monitor: 2 Random 21" TVs

What kind of share did you make?

Windows (nativley) only supports CIFS/SMB while Mac OS X supports both AFP abd CIFS/SMB.

edit: What version of FreeNAS are you running and what are the specs of the PC it's  installed on? 

Hi there i have made a CIFS Aka windows share and my Server pc is running Freenas 9.3 and has 2GB Of ram some Compaq motherboard (HT2000 I think) And an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ CPU. Its not the best pc but it can run it 

Hi there i have made a CIFS Aka windows share and my Server pc is running Freenas 9.3 and has 2GB Of ram some Compaq motherboard (HT2000 I think) And an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ CPU. Its not the best pc but it can run it 

Ok, in CIFS setting what is the Server maximum protocol: ? If it is set to SMB3 or SMB3_00 change it to SMB2_24 since there are compatibility issues between Windows 8.1 and SMB3 running on Samba 4 (what freenas uses for CIFS), after a few new protocols were introduced. 

Also irrelevant to the issue bu nonetheless useful to know, are your disks configured as UFS or ZFS. If they are using ZFS with such a low amount of (I assume) non ECC ram there is a possibility of data loss in the longer term.

There have been multiple threads on the freenas forums about this.

CPU: i5-3490k @ 4.0Ghz | CPU & GPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop |  Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1866Mhz | Graphics Card: ASUS R9 290

HDD: Seagate 1TBx2 + 240GB Plextor M6e | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 | Monitor: 2 Random 21" TVs

Ok, in CIFS setting what is the Server maximum protocol: ? If it is set to SMB3 or SMB3_00 change it to SMB2_24 since there are compatibility issues between Windows 8.1 and SMB3 running on Samba 4 (what freenas uses for CIFS), after a few new protocols were introduced. 

Also irrelevant to the issue bu nonetheless useful to know, are your disks configured as UFS or ZFS. If they are using ZFS with such a low amount of (I assume) non ECC ram there is a possibility of data loss in the longer term.

There have been multiple threads on the freenas forums about this.

Mine is set to SMB2... I set it to SMB2_24 And clicked OK. After that the same thing happend. On my mac i can connect and write but on my PC Still nothing. I am not using ZFS Because i dont plan on storing Important files on this server. I will use it for home sharing. 

Mine is set to SMB2... I set it to SMB2_24 And clicked OK. After that the same thing happend. On my mac i can connect and write but on my PC Still nothing. I am not using ZFS Because i dont plan on storing Important files on this server. I will use it for home sharing. 

Another thing to check is if both you PC and NAS are on the same workgroup (WORKGROUP by default).

You should also try accessing the nas by typing \\<nas ip>\ in bar that has the filepath in file explorer. see if that works.

Another thing to check is if both you PC and NAS are on the same workgroup (WORKGROUP by default).

You should also try accessing the nas by typing \\<nas ip>\ in bar that has the filepath in file explorer. see if that works.

By Workgroup im guessing you mean Internet Connection ? My PC and server are connected to a router so yeah we are on the same network. I have tried putting the server name and the ip in file explorer and nothing showed up.

By Workgroup im guessing you mean Internet Connection ? My PC and server are connected to a router so yeah we are on the same network. I have tried putting the server name and the ip in file explorer and nothing showed up.

No, the workgroup is the working network group the machine is connected to.

Have a read of this article

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Also are you running a software firewall in windows?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

No a workgroup is not the network. It's a windows thing.

Here is how you can check/change it in windows.

in freeNAS it is located in CIFS setting. It must be set to the same value as the windows machine (the default is WORKGROUP)

Also try accessing it by typing \\FREENAS in file explorer.

PS. you can revert to SMB2 in the freenas settings.

EDIT: Check if network discovery is enabled on your pc

No, the workgroup is the working network group the machine is connected to.

Have a read of this article

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Also are you running a software firewall in windows?

I am Running ESET Smart Security 4 

No a workgroup is not the network. It's a windows thing.

Here is how you can check/change it in windows.

in freeNAS it is located in CIFS setting. It must be set to the same value as the windows machine (the default is WORKGROUP)

Also try accessing it by typing \\FREENAS in file explorer.

PS. you can revert to SMB2 in the freenas settings.

EDIT: Check if network discovery is enabled on your pc

I have tried to access it by \\FREENAS But still nothing 

Network discovery is on and i have reverted to SMB2

And i am on the same workgroup as my server. Like i said im a newbie at this stuff and want to learn.

Thanks guys very much but after i have restarted my Own PC and my server everything works Thanks for all the help

NP & Gratz bud :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)