[BUILD COMPLETE] VX-42 (Custom Wall Mounted Home Server)

Complx

Hey everyone, I can't believe I didn't post this on here earlier.

This was my first custom case built from scratch, so I thought I would share.  Im always looking for feedback to help improve my designs.  Sadly I have already completed the project and therefore don't have any way of making a proper build log style updates.

But I made sure to take plenty of pictures of the build which can be found here:  http://imgur.com/a/tnKTh

The premise behind this project was the need for a large amount of storage of various pieces of digital media. (3+TB or more) I have been wanting to build my own home media server for sometime and finally found an excuse to build one. I wanted to be able to stream media to my various mobile devices and run an FTP server, plus since im a gamer, I wanted to be able to host game servers for my buddies and I to play on as well.

My biggest problem was space. My desk was cluttered enough as it was and I didn't have anywhere to put it, even the small ITX cases were too big. That's when I started browsing online for inspiration and thats when it hit me to put it on the wall.

These first few pictures of the completed build I used a piece of smoked acrylic as the base for are the hardware, however, I didn't like it as much as I thought, so I replaced it with a custom cut piece of anodized aluminum.

Kt3nWuy.jpg

oZN5YXE.jpg

JWvMRp6.jpg

D4Idj7Q.jpg

f1wXyvO.jpg

8DLBUQR.png

m7VcANI.jpg

3pUwjBf.jpg

SXe7w20.jpg

yvwGnlq.png

rBG9DzD.png

LPFS8lH.jpg

Aluminum Plate

Re6H9ML.jpg

R5wxx5q.jpg

vXrODFH.jpg

crj1MrL.jpg

After Anodizing:

g9IIFnV.jpg

rrsyIwc.jpg

dU5fKZY.jpg

ctr40Cq.jpg

Etching:

xKV4VyQ.jpg

rAb6TMZ.jpg

pDVfa6b.jpg

Final Design with Aluminum Plate in Place:

jzlMOCk.jpg

I got the it up on the wall in its permanent location along with the rest of my computers.  For those of you who have been following my other thread, this came before I built my monitor stand.

D8T13bOh.jpg  

tuFtq80h.jpg

Ka8pN7ph.jpg

I love the back lighting it provides

Cz1TnV6h.jpg

Hope you enjoyed viewing this project with took many months to complete, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! 

Awesome !

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Wow, absolutely love it! It's unique or at least something I've never seen before. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

OMG that is so cool.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Very creative concept, and nicely executed as well. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

amazing!

i cant understand where is the power supply?

amazing!

i cant understand where is the power supply?

I think he used a sfx psu, or maybe a pico psu.

This is really nice.

Edit: There is a sfx psu on the back, behind the motherboard.

WOW nice setup man looks amazing!

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I like the home terminal look, the central electronic hub sort of thing...very Star Wars-like   :)

What do you do for a living cause this is awesome and I saw some ridiculous hardware in that room of yours.

What do you do for a living cause this is awesome and I saw some ridiculous hardware in that room of yours.

Im just an industrial deisgner, most of the stuff was built up over the years through school and has been built around my needs when I comes to software.  (Heavy CAD use, photoshop, multitasking)

The server was just a fun project that I did.

Well you did one hell of a job and for those applications the hardware you have is awesome still.

Oh yeah!

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

Congrats on build of the week, well deserved! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Wow some very nice stuff man, well done!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Good job brother - You really should see a doctor about this obsessive neatness though! Ha ha ha  See you on the dark side. 

That is one awesome build man you have some mad skills.   :)