PU Leather vs Velour pads: Sound Quality

PlayModeOn

Hello,

I own an Over-ear Sennheiser HD 439 which has Velour cushion pads and not leather.

Now I heard that Leather or even PU Leather (fake) is better at sound isolation and bass than velour.

Is this true? Because it does seem the HD 439 is very bad at isolation even though the packaging said otherwise and I am about to buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Cushion-Ear-Pads-HD-418-419-428-429-439-438-448-449-Headphones-/281505998815

And I don't like velour anyway, but I want to make sure first that I am not wasting my money.

Thanks!

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

LinusTechTips Audio section is dead as always. I just bought it.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

First post at 10:17, and 17 minutes later jumped to the conclusion that this forum is dead, because no one is replying. 

I'm actually amazed that you're ok with buying stuffs online. You know, with all the waiting for the stuff to arrive...

Sssh, audio forham is dead. 

That is not dead which can eternal lie; with strange eons even death itself may die.

Love hoe this was completely derailed, some great comments :P hahah 

BAck to the question, leather isolates more and velour is more comfortable. So that's my take on it :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Compared to like 90% of LinusTechTips boards/topics the Audio section is the only ones that I don't get a reply in less than 15mins :P

It's not my first time here, it is always that slow hehe.

In General Discussions and CPU/Motherboard/RAM/GPU/etc I always get a reply within 1min, its amazing! xD

People are so much faster over there.

Love hoe this was completely derailed, some great comments :P hahah 

BAck to the question, leather isolates more and velour is more comfortable. So that's my take on it :P

Yea I guess. I bought the PU Leather (aka fake leather / pleather / leatherette that is in 80% of headphones), I don't know if it is better in sound isolation than velours or real leather.

Compared to like 90% of LinusTechTips boards/topics the Audio section is the only ones that I don't get a reply in less than 15mins :P

In General Discussions and CPU/Motherboard/RAM/GPU/etc I always get a reply within 1min, its amazing! xD

Yea I guess. I bought the PU Leather (aka fake leather / pleather / leatherette that is in 80% of headphones), I don't know if it is better in sound isolation than velours or real leather.

It's because it is a more popular sub, and it's also much easier for people over there to pretend they know what they're talking about.

Because people can parrot all they want over there and not be wrong. In here, you gotta know your shit or you're wrong. Parroting doesn't get you anywhere. 

That is not dead which can eternal lie; with strange eons even death itself may die.

Are you TRYING to turn me gay?

gallery_40059_1318_471418.gif

No pains, just dreams....

In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

I recently went from pleather to velour and I thought the velour was better at trapping the sound within, or at least it does a better job of noise cancellation around me, thats for sure.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

what does it matters if it isolates more ?

does it sound good ?

can you wear them for more than an hour at a time ?

headphones with a million features are over rated.

comfort is the keyword with headphones. worse case senario you can get asio4all with a vst eq to ajust your listening experiance.

You know, SSL has never been confirmed any gender, for all we know "he" could identify as tossed salad. 

Or he could be Linus' alter ego....

If I were SSL, I would take that as an insult, I wouldn't want to be equated to Linus. 

If I were SSL, I would take that as an insult, I wouldn't want to be equated to Linus. 

^

what does it matters if it isolates more ?

does it sound good ?

can you wear them for more than an hour at a time ?

headphones with a million features are over rated.

comfort is the keyword with headphones. worse case senario you can get asio4all with a vst eq to ajust your listening experiance.

The HD 439 has a mod where you open up the headphone and drill a hole in a specific spot to have more air enter the drivers, it produces more bass as a result. Look up the mod "HD 429 / HD 439 mod".

I care about the sound more than comfort though. People hate leather because it makes you sweat more but I don't care, just give me the baaassss....

I recently went from pleather to velour and I thought the velour was better at trapping the sound within, or at least it does a better job of noise cancellation around me, thats for sure.

I looked around other forums about this issue (after I made a post here) and you are the only person who says that. One person said at hifi.com forum or something that his velour headphone actually can be heard throughout his house, same with mine, he fixed the sound leak by replacing the earpads with leather. So I am doing that now. But it will take 2 weeks for it to arrive :(

Nice, let me know what you think of the difference once you get a a chance to try them. :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

But isn't that something any alter ego would want? .....!

The HD 439 has a mod where you open up the headphone and drill a hole in a specific spot to have more air enter the drivers, it produces more bass as a result. Look up the mod "HD 429 / HD 439 mod".

I care about the sound more than comfort though. People hate leather because it makes you sweat more but I don't care, just give me the baaassss....

You don't drill a hole, you merely take off a piece of tape which is already covering some holes.

Nice, let me know what you think of the difference once you get a a chance to try them. :)

Coming in two weeks lol

But isn't that something any alter ego would want? .....!

You don't drill a hole, you merely take off a piece of tape which is already covering some holes.

Instead of taking off the tape you can just poke a hole in it or "drill" with a pen or screwdriver.

Sorry if my words confused you.