"Star Citizen is too Ambitious"

brockelley

I say yeah, actually I say hell yeah.. and I'll explain why.

Two years ago I built a PC and soon learned what Star Citizen was all about. Back then it was just another Kickstarter with quite a lofty goal: raising $4,000,000.. 

Two weeks ago RSI announced it had surpassed $65,000,000.

Chris Roberts being the Adonis he is, decided he would give back, seeing stretch goal after stretch goal being reached week after week he decided to add..

First it was some extra ships

After passing his initial goal he decided to add star systems

A lot of star systems

Then a campaign

Frigate and Corvette class ships started showing up

All of this was well and good, and it is today too, but today we see a lot more stretch than " adding bobbleheads to cockpits"

Now we're getting fully realized planetside modules, First Person Shooter modules.. and two things came to mind: WHAT! THIS IS GOING TO ROCK! And, there are entire games that comprise of only "First person shooter modules", full games that exist only to be "planetside exploration modules"... Is Chris Roberts a FPS expert or a RPG expert? Cause the last time I checked, he's received over $69,000,000 for being a Space Sim expert.. and I've seen what there is to play, it's all buggy, all of it. I realize Elite Dangerous has already been released but they started development around the same time (in the same fiscal quarter) and Elite Dangerous seems more polished in.. pretty much every aspect. I also understand that Star Citizen aims to be much more than Elite Dangerous, but that's my point.

All I'm saying, I've seen game's that need less polish with more time until the release date be riddled with bugs.. and those are games that stick to 10 and 2.. and by that I mean they stay in their own lane, and by that I mean they aren't Space Sim developers making First Person Shooters. (it is cryengine though, so my hopes are high)

I want this game to be good more than anything.. This game is just begging to be played with my Xbox One controller right next to my Warthog HOTAS, with Oculus rift on my eyes and hifi cans on my ears.. it's going to be amazing, but when I watched the Imagine trailer (linked below) the first thing that came to mind was " My goodness, how much would it suck if this game falls short of how dauntingly amazing it seems it will be".

Would you guys agree or not? From the familiar EDM build up to the, almost forced WUBWUBWUB in the video.. I feel the song tells the same story as Star Citizen's development thus far: It reels you in so hard you'd think you were out on a first date; as it progresses you realize how undone she is, how wanting the development, how easy to pick apart all the little flaws in this albeit unfinished game thoroughly saturated with our dollars. A lot of big words, but you guys get what I'm saying.. I don't know how to say it any other way, I'm worried. 

should i be?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY

Gaming since 97, aka the Almost No Longer a Noob Squad

IMHO let them take 2 or 3 more years to release as long as they get it right.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

They have like 65mill. I don't think they will fall short. They have allowed plenty of time for development in my opinion.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

As a non-fan of star citizen, I kinda see it the same way as you. 

I see it as being a bit too ambitious, and that having too many things promised, could mean that there are many things that could potentially be undelivered. 

For me it's not worth the high hopes and expectations, especially considering how long it will take to actually release.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

This times a million. Agreed man, I'd be willing to wait until Displayport 2.0 came out, because there's no way I'm going to want to play this below 2K and there's no way I'm going to settle for 60hz.

They have like 65mill. I don't think they will fall short. They have allowed plenty of time for development in my opinion.

They have time to fix bugs, but the bugs still exist.. I try and stay pretty up to date on all of it, and none of it seems as polished as Elite Dangerous.

As a non-fan of star citizen, I kinda see it the same way as you. 

I see it as being a bit too ambitious, and that having too many things promised, could mean that there are many things that could potentially be undelivered. 

For me it's not worth the high hopes and expectations, especially considering how long it will take to actually release.

Well I'd rather be disappointed than to not be able to fully realize a games brilliance if it does happen to be that one in a million game to actually get it right. An unabashed optimist, though you are right most of the time a game does fall short, which really makes me an idiot bashed by my optimism. 

Well I'd rather be disappointed than to not be able to fully realize a games brilliance if it does happen to be that one in a million game to actually get it right. An unabashed optimist, though you are right most of the time a game does fall short, which really makes me an idiot bashed by my optimism. 

I always wait for a game to be released before buying it.

If it is those "one in a million games" then I'll buy it when it's released :P

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I'm content to wait and see how it goes. I already purchased the game so I'll just sit back and enjoy the development ride.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I thought there was no traditional full release?

That it's just coming out in modules..

I thought there was no traditional full release?

That it's just coming out in modules..

Well there's a sort of release... the main module release which is everything except you controlling the person on planets or in fps mode I think is coming out all as one package.

They have time to fix bugs, but the bugs still exist.. I try and stay pretty up to date on all of it, and none of it seems as polished as Elite Dangerous.

From what I know SC is a lot more ambitous then Elite is. From what I know Elite is a space sim. SC aspires to so much more. I don't actually stay up to date on this stuff though.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Final game isn't expected to release for another few years. But CIG has told us that there is a huge amount of PU content already in development and is nearly ready for alpha/beta testing. The actual PU side of the game with a shit ton of features is expected to enter public testing by the end of this year. Although it could very well be delayed to the start of 2016.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

You cannot rush perfection.

I do not think he is too ambitious. He and his team proved so far they always do what they say they would. We have AC, Racing and soon FPS. And then after that, SQ42 and Persistent Universe.

He's a  God among game creators.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You cannot rush perfection.

I do not think he is too ambitious. He and his team proved so far they always do what they say they would. We have AC, Racing and soon FPS. And then after that, SQ42 and Persistent Universe.

He's a  God among game creators.

^ This.

People thought WoW was too ambitious.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

From what I know SC is a lot more ambitous then Elite is. From what I know Elite is a space sim. SC aspires to so much more. I don't actually stay up to date on this stuff though.

yeah.. I talked about that in the post

^ This.

People thought WoW was too ambitious.

I'm not doubting any of it.. I'm merely commenting on the progress thus far, and how underwhelming it is.

I don't know how to say it any other way, I'm worried. 

should i be?

You should be cautiously, rationally skeptical. I don't know if you need to be "worried," but I think it's good that you aren't hyped. And everyone should be extremely careful about investing money into it, because the game is currently somewhere between a pre-order and Early Access.

I think it's important to point out that the stretch goals keep coming because the money keeps coming. With the business model they have, the money is likely to keep coming for a long, long time—probably for as long as they continue to have progress to show and new modules to play. I think they broke a record for the biggest crowdfunding effort of any kind, about $30 million ago. By the time they near a launch build of the game, they may have accumulated hundreds of millions of dollars in total.

A lot of their success is going to hinge on business management. If they can accurately measure their stretch goals against the money that's actually coming in, they may have no trouble completing them all.

I think what I'm most concerned about is that the game won't ever have a true, hard "launch," but exist as an ongoing series of early access modules in various states of "done-ness" for years. One has to assume that at some point enough of the game will be playable this way that we'll be actually playing the game. As opposed to just floating around for a bit in Arena Commander. I'm not sure I like that, personally.

I think it's important to point out that the stretch goals keep coming because the money keeps coming. 

You realize they haven't added a stretch goal in over a month, and still made 4.5Million since the last goal.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You realize they haven't added a stretch goal in over a month, and still made 4.5Million since the last goal.

I don't follow the game closely enough at this point in development to have noticed, but I think that underscores my point. I think that shows some restraint and caution when it comes to stretch goals.

I think what I'm most concerned about is that the game won't ever have a true, hard "launch," but exist as an ongoing series of early access modules in various states of "done-ness" for years. One has to assume that at some point enough of the game will be playable this way that we'll be actually playing the game. As opposed to just floating around for a bit in Arena Commander. I'm not sure I like that, personally.

That was my concern too but we do have some soft release dates.. in the first quarter of this year we should see some of the squadron 42 missions coming, and later on in this year pretty much every aspect of the game is supposed to release besides. 

The actual release date for the entire game is 2016, but it really doesn't make sense to wait until then to buy it.. it does seem bait and switchy I agree.. but I'm thoroughly convinced we will get a decent game.

That was my concern too but we do have some soft release dates.. in the first quarter of this year we should see some of the squadron 42 missions coming, and later on in this year pretty much every aspect of the game is supposed to release besides. 

The actual release date for the entire game is 2016, but it really doesn't make sense to wait until then to buy it.. it does seem bait and switchy I agree.. but I'm thoroughly convinced we will get a decent game.

There is no release date. There is a estimate but no hard date or window has been selected yet.

There is no release date. There is a estimate but no hard date or window has been selected yet.

Yes and they could push everything back farther, but if they do they'll be welcoming even more judgement than even I am throwing at it... I mean I love it, but if it get's pushed deep into 2016 I'm going to have to say hey, obvious cash grab.. even though it probably isn't they just want to release a great game.

I really wouldn't care if PU didn't get released until late 2017 It would be great to see arena commander out in early 2016 though.

I really wouldn't care if PU didn't get released until late 2017 It would be great to see arena commander out in early 2016 though.

Honestly the dog fighting is the last thing I care about.. I'm in it for the persistent world, protecting cargo, salvaging derelict ships.. the whole bit.