Rest In Pieces - Windows 7 Mainstream support ends today.

ImBleu

i think if we speak up about this enough that windows 10 might have that.

maybe even like, three different version of windows 10, desktop, console, and pro (which has both) 

Yeah. THAT is the kind of stuff that will get me to upgrade. With holding an API so that it slows adoption and my games are hindered? All that does is tick me off and make people like me want Direct X to die a horrible death. 

Integrate metro with my wireless Xbox controller/virtual keyboard? Give us the OPTION to choose between the two (they are already doing this), and most of all STOP paying to delay or keep games off PC. I will line up for the first copy. As will my sister.

People think I hate MS without reason. I hate MS because they don't innovate, seem to care about PC Gaming whatsoever and they just want to hold a gun to our head with an API. It is not super hard to integrate the options I asked for. This is MINIMAL work. 

MS you already have the ultimate console. It is called a PC. Start caring about it, stop screwing us over and we will buy your OS's like crazy. Hell, make the Xbox One stream games, and you just might get people with a BIG desktop that they don't want to move near a TV to buy the dumb console as well.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I knew it was ending, but I didn't know it was this early. What does this mean for me as a Windows 7 user? Will I face security risks? What do I lose because support ended?

Short answer: There are no security risks. See my post above: Mainstream Support is over, but Extended Support continues until 2020. You will continue to get Security Patches and Hot fixes until 2020. You just won't get any new features (Which you weren't getting anyway, with a new OS due out this year), and if you call Microsoft, you'd have to pay for phone support. That's it.

so they will send out security updates for years to come, but won't 'support' it? wat?

They are still supporting it. The title is misleading. Mainstream support is over but Extended Support continues until 2020. See my post above.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

well, my windows isnt supported anymore, my gpu isnt supported anymore. i think theyre trying to get a message across

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

My work if just now migrating from XP to 7.  

As are many businesses. We just ordered 30 Windows 7 PC's from Dell. Extended Support continues until 2020, so it's not a big deal.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

#Windows10FTW

If I had the time and patience I'd make a linux-based open source OS and crowd source features from here

Then I'd sell it for $20 untill I make my money back then just give away copies with a suggested donation of $10 or $20 to LTT

well, my windows isnt supported anymore, my gpu isnt supported anymore. i think theyre trying to get a message across

Windows 7 is still supported until 2020. The OP did a poor article, and a click bait title. So enjoy your Windows 7 :)

#Windows10FTW

If I had the time and patience I'd make a linux-based open source OS and crowd source features from here

Then I'd sell it for $20 untill I make my money back then just give away copies with a suggested donation of $10 or $20 to LTT

That's quite the endeavour. Making an OS, even one based on the Linux Kernel, is no easy feat. Why do you think no Linux distro has ever even remotely made it mainstream? Ubuntu is probably the closest, and their market share has got to be under 5%.

Plus, polishing it and making it user friendly and easy to use is very difficult and time consuming - this is one of the two areas that Linux fails at:

1. Making it look GOOD (Ubuntu does a decent job of this IF you like their design style)

2. Application Support (Yeah there are a lot of open source alternatives, but there are still plenty of Windows Programs that you can't get on Linux without WINE or emulation - if even then).

Not to mention the fragmented experience. Linux will never become mainstream until ONE distro becomes "dominant", and then that one distro might become mainstream.

Yeah. THAT is the kind of stuff that will get me to upgrade. With holding an API so that it slows adoption and my games are hindered? All that does is tick me off and make people like me want Direct X to die a horrible death. 

Integrate metro with my wireless Xbox controller/virtual keyboard? Give us the OPTION to choose between the two (they are already doing this), and most of all STOP paying to delay or keep games off PC. I will line up for the first copy. As will my sister.

People think I hate MS without reason. I hate MS because they don't innovate, seem to care about PC Gaming whatsoever and they just want to hold a gun to our head with an API. It is not super hard to integrate the options I asked for. This is MINIMAL work. 

MS you already have the ultimate console. It is called a PC. Start caring about it, stop screwing us over and we will buy your OS's like crazy. Hell, make the Xbox One stream games, and you just might get people with a BIG desktop that they don't want to move near a TV to buy the dumb console as well.

please write them letters. 

please.

this is the most well-worded and down to earth opinion i have heard put to words in years. 

*hugs and high fives* 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

What's the point of even staying on Win 7. Can anyone give me a good reason?

1) The start screen is horrendous on a desktop.

2) You get thrown around between desktop and metro because some things are metro only and some things are desktop only. Terrible user experience.

3) Sometimes when I go to close a program the charm menu appears and that means that I have to move my cursor a quite long distance to make the charm bar disappear (just moving it down a bit doesn't help, have to move it in a special direction).

4) The new default search is really weird. Why does it try to search for stuff on the web with the God awful Bing search engine? I want to find something on my computer. If I want online I use my web browser.

5) The metro programs are completely unusable on desktops. Windows 10 fixes this by making it possible to run them in windowed mode but in Windows 8 does anyone seriously use the metro programs? You'd have to be a masochist to enjoy them.

6) Before you say "just install X and Y and change Y and it will be just like Windows 7!". If it ends up being the same as Windows 7 then what's the point in me spending over 100 dollars on it!?

Probably a bunch of other reasons as well. For example there were quite a few driver issues at launch but most of them should be fixed by now.

It is true, it is a tired reason. They should quite ALL support after 5 years.

Get with the times or GTFO is what I say.

Don't like the next OS, tough, get used to it or GTFO.

That's a terrible idea.

Grow up, literally the only real difference is the start menu, and that can be replaced in about 2 minutes.

LITERALLY the only real difference is the start menu? Then why should I spend over 100 dollars on it?

And as a bunch of people have already pointed out, the title is mostly click-bate. The only important implication this has is that it's now confirmed that Windows 7 will not get DirectX 12, which I think is a terrible mistake from Microsoft.

Pretty much the only thing Windows 7 have gotten in the last years are security patches, and those will continue to be released for 5 more years. After that we are fucked... Unless Microsoft don't fuck up Windows 10 (lots of rumors hinting that they will).

Really isn't. There's so many stupid little time wasters that it adds up to a huge fucking pile of annoying shit you have to deal with constantly. Look, if you're a user who never learned alt-tab im sure it works just the same for you, but between the interface split into 3 different kinds of UI, multiple settings menus for the same thing that change different options, that broken ass charms shit that you can't even disable with a regedit, you are one delusional motherducker if you think it's fine.

God damn win 8 apologists everywhere.

What time wasters?  What three UIs?  Desktop, Metro, and... Metro apps?  You're not suppose to use metro apps, they're default programs for viewing media.  Just like in Windows 7 and earlier, you're suppose to replace these programs with things like VLC, Winamp/Foobar, a PDF viewer (or use Chrome/Firefox), etc.  There is no scenario where metro apps are a legitimate problem unless you're intentionally failing to replace them with something better.  Are they bad?  Yes.  Are they dumb?  Yes.  But if you're using them, you're doing it wrong.  I assume by multiple settings menus you're talking about the lack of continuity between certain settings windows opening in metro style boxes instead of popups, which is a totally valid criticism.  It's stupid.  But it doesn't make the OS harder to use, nor is this issue even that often faced.  If you're still complaining about charms, you've never even tried Startisback/Start8/ClassicShell.  There are EXTREMELY easy ways to disable charms.

Is it perfect?  No, far from it.  Is it fine?  Yes.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

No it didn't. Microsoft posts the End Of Support dates for every OS right before - or during - the launch of that OS. We've known Mainstream Support was going to end today 5 years ago. Also, it's just mainstream support - which is irrelevant now anyway. Extended Support, which includes security fixes and Windows Updates, will continue until 2020.

Just because they might have released the the information long ago does not mean I knew. So again, it came out of left field for me.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I will continue to use Win 7 until 2020, then I guess I will be forced to use something else. Not gonna worry about that now though.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

What will you do when dx12 games start to roll in.

Continue using windows 7, maybe dualboot 10 for those games.

Grow up, literally the only real difference is the start menu, and that can be replaced in about 2 minutes.

There are many many more differences between 7 and 8, or 7 and 8.1 than just the start menu, the file system is different, the look of it is different, control panel is different, connecting to wireless networks is different and imo a lot shittier, and so many other things.

I'd say its more of you needing to grow up, right now it looks like you can't handle the fact that other people think differently than you do and have different opinions.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I myself like how Win 8 was just announced and pushed not a year or year and 1/2 ago and all of the sudden we are up to 8.1 because 8 kind of failed and now 10 is announced. :lol:. Brings back Vista days. Win 10 it is. Cheers!!!!

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

I will continue to use Win 7 until 2020, then I guess I will be forced to use something else. Not gonna worry about that now though.

Some people still use XP even though its completely un-supported now, so I doubt you'll really be forced to use something else.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Some people still use XP even though its completely un-supported now, so I doubt you'll really be forced to use something else.

You're right. I still use XP on my old laptop. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

NT 6.3+ is all around superior anyhow. Windows 10 will cradle to those who are too stubborn to adapt to a full screen start menu over the classic.

Definitely not going to switch to win 8, and only once they have fixed a few things will I go to 10. Windows 7 is strong enough for what I do.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

What's the point of even staying on Win 7. Can anyone give me a good reason?

windows media center works the best with TV tuners that use cable cards and it's free

There is no metro and has a start menu. And the to me doesn't have the lousy flat looking gui. Personally I find windows 7 a lot nicer looking.

I'd go right to windows 10 if they had a classic desktop with the windows 7 skin

NT 6.3+ is all around superior anyhow. Windows 10 will cradle to those who are too stubborn to adapt to a full screen start menu over the classic.

Well excuse me, Princess (!) for not upgrading to a touchscreen monitor for my primary screen on my gaming/AV editing rig, when I don't need anything Win8/8.1 "offers" over a solid Win7 Pro/Ultimate installation.

There is NOTHING that Win8/8.1 currently offers that I need or is useful for my day-to-day system usage, and that which it does offer I already have in Win7.

Well excuse me, Princess (!) for not upgrading to a touchscreen monitor for my primary screen on my gaming/AV editing rig, when I don't need anything Win8/8.1 "offers" over a solid Win7 Pro/Ultimate installation.

There is NOTHING that Win8/8.1 currently offers that I need or is useful for my day-to-day system usage, and that which it does offer I already have in Win7.

An average user like yourself wouldn't understand the underlying improvements that the NT 6.3 kernel has made in comparison to the hacked up Vista kernel that Windows 7 runs. If Windows 7 works for you then so be it no one is forcing you to upgrade. Tho if you think Windows 8 is horrible because a very few people like yourself cannot adapt to the superior functionality of the new start menu then you're already out of your league. The same kind of people who buys a car because it looks nice and wonders why it breaks down every 50 miles.

7 unless 10 is good for me.

8 is just a pain in the balls I don't need

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO