Rest In Pieces - Windows 7 Mainstream support ends today.

ImBleu

Microsoft has no official position on Directx 12 and WIndows 7, so you might not be out of luck.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/

I got directX 10 and 11 working on XP, so I'm pretty sure that DirectX 12 will work.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Microsoft product cycle: 98>2000>XP>Vista>Win7>Win8/8.1>10

Translates to: Good>POS>good>POS>good>POS>good.

sadly the actual OS versions are: 

95 = 4.0

98 = 4.1

ME = 4.2

2000 = 5.0

XP = 5.1

XP 64 bit = 5.2

Vista = 6.0

Win 7 = 6.1

Win 8.0 = 6.2

Win 8.1 = 6.3

Win 10 = 6.4?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/desktop/ms724832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

internally they haven't even made it to windows 7 yet.

And people say CoD is the same game every year...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I do that by not going to starbucks at all.

Except when I feel like making them feel ill at ease because someone who open carries is in line trying to get a decent french vanilla cappuccino. 

salted caramel, extra whip cream, use the coffie canister i hadn to them, shake twice, 165 degrees. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

95 = 4.0

98 = 4.1

ME = 4.2

2000 = 5.0

XP = 5.1

XP 64 bit = 5.2

Vista = 6.0

Win 7 = 6.1

Win 8.0 = 6.2

Win 8.1 = 6.3

Win 10 = 6.4?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/desktop/ms724832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

^^^ this ^^^

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Get with the program, MS is a business.

Don't like it, move to Linux.

Your translation is wrong, Windows 2000 was way better than 98 and miles ahead of XP, pre-SP1, people remember things like they want to, but fact is XP was a disaster when it launched.

I've still got computer's that use 98, 2000 and xp, I think I can give my opinion on them.

As for moving to Linux, I actually did have a dual boot set up with Mint, but its HDD died and I can't fit 2 OS on my SSD so I'm stuck with Windows again.

PMSL

salted caramel, extra whip cream, use the coffie canister i hadn to them, shake twice, 165 degrees. 

Meh. The new keurig thing we got does a better job with store bought dehydrated stuff compared to the sludge I've gotten from starbucks. Most of the time they only have hazlenut, which they claim is the same.

it is not, not by a long shot.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

95 = 4.0

98 = 4.1

ME = 4.2

2000 = 5.0

XP = 5.1

XP 64 bit = 5.2

Vista = 6.0

Win 7 = 6.1

Win 8.0 = 6.2

Win 8.1 = 6.3

Win 10 = 6.4?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/desktop/ms724832(v=vs.85).aspx

Actually, it was more:

95 - NT 3.51

98/SE - NT 4.0

ME - NT 4.9

ME was cut-down NT 5/Win 2K, but NT 4 was the counterpart to 98/SE and NT 3.51 was the counterpart to Win 95 (launching 3 months before 95 and 9 months after NT 3.5)

NT 4 was the fourth version of NT, they just started the NT line numbered at 3.1 to match up with Win 3.1x at the time.

People don't like being forced to feed corporate greed and buy new supposedly better products all the time. New iPhone every year anyone? (Price of an upgrade is the issue as well.)

How are you being forced to buy a new iPhone every year? The iPhone 4 was still supported until last year. Android devices aren't supported for anything like as long as iOS devices are.

I don't see the problem with companies having upgraded products, either, as long as the old ones don't become artificially gimped to encourage takeup of the new one.

95 = 4.0

98 = 4.1

ME = 4.2

2000 = 5.0

XP = 5.1

XP 64 bit = 5.2

Vista = 6.0

Win 7 = 6.1

Win 8.0 = 6.2

Win 8.1 = 6.3

Win 10 = 6.4?

No that's wrong. Windows 2000 was the same thing as Windows NT 5.0. Windows NT 4.0 was not the same thing as Windows 95. Windows 2000 represented the discontinuation of the old 9x series and the merging of the home OS and the business OS.

95 = 4.0

98 = 4.1

ME = 4.2

2000 = 5.0

XP = 5.1

XP 64 bit = 5.2

Vista = 6.0

Win 7 = 6.1

Win 8.0 = 6.2

Win 8.1 = 6.3

Win 10 = 6.4?

I know that's the way things went, but 95 wasn't as good as 98 (I actually got told not to put 95 on a computer I'm restoring, and to use 98 even if parts don't have drivers compatible with 98), ME wasn't around long, XP 64bit was released shortly before Vista and was never that common. I get what you mean with the NT Kernels, but Microsoft does need make their OS appealing so they don't use the numbers.

How are you being forced to buy a new iPhone every year? The iPhone 4 was still supported until last year. Android devices aren't supported for anything like as long as iOS devices are.

I don't see the problem with companies having upgraded products, either, as long as the old ones don't become artificially gimped to encourage takeup of the new one.

No that's wrong. Windows 2000 was the same thing as Windows NT 5.0. Windows NT 4.0 was not the same thing as Windows 95. Windows 2000 represented the discontinuation of the old 9x series and the merging of the home OS and the business OS.

I personally don't buy a new iPhone every year (gone back to my old Sony since the battery in my 4S died-and the 4S was my first iPhone), just look at all of the apple fanatics that crowed stores on release days-apple made that behavior normal for their customers.

PMSL

I still don't feel that it's necessary to upgrade so I won't.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Fuck no, I'm not moving to 8 even if someone paid me to, I'll keep using 7 for years.

What will you do when dx12 games start to roll in.

I get what you mean with the NT Kernels, but Microsoft does need make their OS appealing so they don't use the numbers.

Oh I agree. It's hard to market windows 6.2 or 6.3 to someone that has windows 6.1.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Oh I agree. It's hard to market windows 6.2 or 6.3 to someone that has windows 6.1.

Programs know however, had a few that mentioned 'NT 4.0' was required to install.

PMSL

imho, Windows 8.1 is superior to windows 10TP.

Windows 8.1 is an established release build that has already had a service pack applied. W10 technical preview isn't even in beta yet. So yeah, 8.1 will be better right now.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

lol, 8.1 is fine. Stop circlejerking

Really isn't. There's so many stupid little time wasters that it adds up to a huge fucking pile of annoying shit you have to deal with constantly. Look, if you're a user who never learned alt-tab im sure it works just the same for you, but between the interface split into 3 different kinds of UI, multiple settings menus for the same thing that change different options, that broken ass charms shit that you can't even disable with a regedit, you are one delusional motherducker if you think it's fine.

God damn win 8 apologists everywhere.

I knew it was ending, but I didn't know it was this early. What does this mean for me as a Windows 7 user? Will I face security risks? What do I lose because support ended?

Fuck no, I'm not moving to 8 even if someone paid me to, I'll keep using 7 for years.

Grow up, literally the only real difference is the start menu, and that can be replaced in about 2 minutes.

so they will send out security updates for years to come, but won't 'support' it? wat?

SPAAAAAACE!!!

We knew this was coming. You know what it's time to do?

Turn your old window 7 desktop into a server! Move all your PCI-E cards, drives, and data over to your new PC, then use it as an internetless box to serve up media, storage, do backups, etc.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well that came out of left field for me. 

No it didn't. Microsoft posts the End Of Support dates for every OS right before - or during - the launch of that OS. We've known Mainstream Support was going to end today 5 years ago. Also, it's just mainstream support - which is irrelevant now anyway. Extended Support, which includes security fixes and Windows Updates, will continue until 2020.

lol why would anyone on windows 7 move to windows 8 just because of no new features?

its not like windows 7 needs any new features...as long as it gets security patches nobody cares about new features.

if you want new features then you should already be using windows 8.1

Pretty much. Anyone still using Windows 7 at this point, doesn't give a shit about the new features in Windows 8.1. Therefore, the end of Mainstream support will have zero impact on them.

FUCK. I LITERALLY JUST FUCKING INSTALLED WINDOWS 7 A MONTH AGO.

And? You still get support until 2020. The title is ridiculously misleading. The article itself might specify that this is only mainstream support, but the title does not.

This.

I'm surprised at how abrupt they're pulling support. Especially since MS said that you can upgrade from Windows 7 straight to Windows 10 once that releases, so one would think they'd keep support up for at least that long.

They're not pulling support, and they're not being abrupt about it. We've known that Mainstream Support would end today for 5 years. What's abrupt about that? Not to mention that Extended Support (Which is all that matters at this point - Security Fixes and Windows Updates) will continue until 2020, as planned.

Microsoft said they'd end support of Windows 7 back when they announced it. They gave it a 5 year life span.

This is only partially true. Yes, they announced the end of support dates way back when it was released, but it has a 10 year life span. Extended Support continues until 2020, as per the original plan. FYI, your title is ridiculously misleading. Look at how users here are already freaking out about "end of support", because they saw the title and assumed it meant all support is over.

Windows 7 will still receive support until 2020.  The thread title is a bit misleading.  This is when essentially free customer support ends.  You will still receive your usual Windows Updates.  Don't worry about it!

This. Very much this.

Very missleading title.

The _ONLY_ difference is that Microsoft support on Windows 7 is now a payed service (So if you call them or write them an email with a question) and there wont be added new features (Like DX12)

You'll still get securty patches and hotfixes, which may lead to a service pack at some point....

Again, this. End of Mainstream support is entirely meaningless at this point. We still get security fixes and Windows Updates until 2020.

The tittle is so misleading.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yuuuup.

Rest in peperronies even tho I like Win 8 more than 7 but damn this was way quicker than XP. 

XP needed to go die in a hole 5 years ago, but people clung to it like a little kid clinging to their dead parents during the Black Death (Yeah I went a bit too far lol). Anyway, Windows 7 will continue to be supported until 2020, as per the original plan released by Microsoft when Windows 7 went live.

You will get updates up to 2020, don't worry :P

This.

If I was them I eoukd have waited until win10 release.

They are waiting until Windows 10 release. This is just the end of Mainstream Support. Windows 7 will continue to get Extended Support (Security fixes and Windows Updates) until 2020. Windows 10 will have been out for 3-4 years by then.

This is a tired reason for ending support. The 5 year life span may have made sense 5 years ago, but when your next OS is a major flop from the public adoption standpoint, and Microsoft comes out and says they want you to forget windows 8, this is highly illogical and the plan should be changed. What are people supposed to do, upgrade to 8 when 10 is coming out very shortly. Microsoft has no logical choice but to extend windows 7 support until 10 is released. DUH

The 5 year cycle is only for mainstream support, which is entirely irrelevant by now. Extended support will continue until 2020, which includes security fixes and Windows Updates.

What the heck are you talking about!

Windows 7 is still supported. All that has ended is the support is the support for new features and non-security related bug fixes.

Windows 7 will still have security updates.

Windows 7 supports ends in 2020

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

System are still being sold with Windows 7 as option.

Please get your facts straight!

Yep.

Microsoft is ending mainstream support. So yes, the title is correct. Extended support ends in 2020.

My facts are straight.

Yes, ending MAINSTREAM support. Please change your title to reflect that. People are mistakenly assuming that you mean all support is over. Extended support, as you put it, ends in 2020, and therefore, "Windows 7 support ends today" is an incorrect title. A more accurate title would be "Some (but not all) Windows 7 support ends today". Windows 7 is by no means dead now. You can still buy OEM computers with Windows 7 licenses. We just ordered 30 PC's from Dell with Windows 7 on them.

Extended support applies to everyone.

winsupporttable.PNG

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

So your title is incorrect. Windows 7 is still supported.

Agreed.

Never said they didn't apply to everyone. Read the OP. Mainstream/Extended support might not mean what you think it means.

He knows what the differences are. The title itself is misleading, not the OP. Please fix the title. The OP is fine.

What's the point of even staying on Win 7. Can anyone give me a good reason?

Because it still has support until 2020? The end of Mainstream Support will affect you in exactly zero ways. Unless you need to upgrade, because you want new features that Windows 8 has, or you want the improved performance, then you can continue to use Windows 7 with no problems until 2020.

Microsoft product cycle: 98>2000>XP>Vista>Win7>Win8/8.1>10

Translates to: Good>POS>good>POS>good>POS>good.

This is missing a lot of the Windows os's, including ME. Also, 2000 was widely considered excellent. Furthermore, XP was worse then Vista at release. XP was fucking HORRIBLE AND BUGGY pre SP1, and didn't really get good until SP2. And Vista is actually a great (if ugly) OS once you've installed SP2. Definitely obsolete, but it's not the shitfest it was on release (which was still better then the XP release).

Oh wow, I didn't expect it to come that quick. Well fuck you too Microsoft, I'm sticking with Windows 7 to the end.

Microsoft hasn't given you the middle finger. They stated the end of support dates on their website the moment Windows 7 came out. Furthermore, Extended Support continues until 2020. End of Mainstream support will not affect you at all.

95 = 4.0

98 = 4.1

ME = 4.2

2000 = 5.0

XP = 5.1

XP 64 bit = 5.2

Vista = 6.0

Win 7 = 6.1

Win 8.0 = 6.2

Win 8.1 = 6.3

Win 10 = 6.4?

Yep this is a more accurate representation of the Windows OS history.

Seriously, people are freaking out over nothing, and/or not fully reading the OP - The incredibly misleading title doesn't help, mind you. Windows 7 will continue to get Windows Updates and security patches/hot fixes until 2020 guys. Relax. The end of Mainstream Support DOES NOT MATTER for 99% of users. It means:

1. No phone support anymore - which most people didn't use anyway

2. No new features - which doesn't matter, since there's a new OS out (Windows 8.1) and another new one due (Windows 10) this year.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)