Rest In Pieces - Windows 7 Mainstream support ends today.

ImBleu

Their so called 'Main stream support' truly ended when they started work on Windows 8. Has anyone seen new features added since then?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What's the point of even staying on Win 7. Can anyone give me a good reason?

Because we needlessly (for the most part) hate one 8 despite it having advantages. 

I have windows 7 on my work machine with 3 monitors....dear lord the windows 7 multimonitor workflow is horrible compared to 8.1

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Any Windows 7 users going to switch to Windows 8 now?

Nope, I'll keep Win7 until Win10 shows it is worth. Or until the next Windows is good...or until Linux dominates all.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

They'll issue security updates for another 5 years, so it's all good. Not that I care since I'm using 8.1 (yes, without StartIsBack). :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Better question. What is a good reason to spend 100 dollars to update to Win 8 other than faster boot and is that worth 100 dollars when we have sleep?

The API patch upgrades are dead API's and not used due to market share. Other than boot the "improvements" are lacking, and MOST people that stick with the OS go with classic shell, which is a third party program to "fix" what MS refuses to fix.

If your question was "why choose 7 over 8"? Then yeah. You should go with 8 and install classic shell or another variant. Problem? Most people don't know about or trust third party programs to "fix" what they don't like. MS has only themselves to blame here, but it works in their favor.

Their version of classic shell is the major selling point of 10...so they can make another 100 dollars or better yet a subscription fee, all so "average joe" people can get their start bar back.

Are my games faster in 8 than 7? Nope. I have an AMD GPU that has a better API for the ONE DX 11.1 game. If I had a Nvidia GPU sweetFX  didn't work in 8 trial version, on my GTX 770 when I had it. Last I checked that was still the case.

Metro? Did not have Xbox controller functionability, which would have been the ONE THING many enthusiasts/gamers would have used it for.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

8.1 is kind of crap, so I guess I'll keep using 7 until 10 comes out.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Better question. What is a good reason to spend 100 dollars to update to Win 8 other than faster boot and is that worth 100 dollars when we have sleep?

The API patch upgrades are dead API's and not used due to market share. Other than boot the "improvements" are lacking, and MOST people that stick with the OS go with classic shell, which is a third party program to "fix" what MS refuses to fix.

If your question was "why choose 7 over 8"? Then yeah. You should go with 8 and install classic shell or another variant. Problem? Most people don't know about or trust third party programs to "fix" what they don't like. MS has only themselves to blame here, but it works in their favor.

Their version of classic shell is the major selling point of 10...so they can make another 100 dollars or better yet a subscription fee, all so "average joe" people can get their start bar back.

Are my games faster in 8 than 7? Nope. I have an AMD GPU that has a better API for the ONE DX 11.1 game. If I had a Nvidia GPU sweetFX  didn't work in 8 trial version, on my GTX 770 when I had it. Last I checked that was still the case.

Metro? Did not have Xbox controller functionability, which would have been the ONE THING many enthusiasts/gamers would have used it for.

No Xbox controller functionality? That sucks. I'm able to plug my original Xbox controller into my XP laptop or my main rig and use it. The drivers even get automatically installed as well off windows update.

PMSL

No Xbox controller functionality? That sucks. I'm able to plug my original Xbox controller into my XP laptop or my main rig and use it. The drivers even get automatically installed as well off windows update.

Not that. The controller works fine on 8 for gaming. I mean navigating the Metro interface.

This would have been a major selling point as a HTPC/gaming pc plugged into a TV. You should have been able to navigate the tiles with a wireless Xbox controller, and it should have had a virtual keyboard for the full screen apps. That would have made a lot of sense. There are a ton of people substituting mini itx PC's for consoles. My sister would be one with a mini itx GTX 970.

Absolutely stupid that she needs to navigate with cordless mouse/keyboard when they could have just implemented it for her wireless Xbox controllers. Yeah she can use Steam Big Picture mode, but then she lacks a virtual keyboard for the browser etc. This all should have been in Metro. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Windows 7 is great and windows 8 & 8.1 is crap.

I don't think it's that easy

Fuck no, I'm not moving to 8 even if someone paid me to, I'll keep using 7 for years.

Same here.

I'll switch when they stop with the annoying ass metro UI. looks so....hipster.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Microsoft product cycle: 98>2000>XP>Vista>Win7>Win8/8.1>10

Translates to: Good>POS>good>POS>good>POS>good.

PMSL

ripperino in pepperoni

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It's the option that costs nearly £100  that has to justify itself, not the one that's free.

It is true, it is a tired reason. They should quite ALL support after 5 years.

Get with the times or GTFO is what I say.

Don't like the next OS, tough, get used to it or GTFO.

People don't like being forced to feed corporate greed and buy new supposedly better products all the time. New iPhone every year anyone? (Price of an upgrade is the issue as well.)

PMSL

On no, I only get security updates now and not "new features".

I don't get Direct X 12. Oh wait. I didn't get DX 11.1 or 11.2 (not like any game uses them anyways, my AMD GPU has more support with Mantle).

So how was MS "supporting" Win 7 with "new features" before this? Biggest non story ever. 

Microsoft has no official position on Directx 12 and WIndows 7, so you might not be out of luck.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/

*still using XP on my other rig*

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Yep, I hope it does apply for 10 aswell :P

vista isnt all that bad anymore. its still rather nice. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Same here.

I'll switch when they stop with the annoying ass metro UI. looks so....hipster.

you can ignore it jsut like you do the hipters at starbucks. :D

-Jim Hensen

8.1 with some light mods is pretty damn nice IMHO ^~^

using classic shel (free& better verision of start is back) and changing some minor settings around so that metro interface is never open is realy easy and i feel right at home like i do with my old XP system.

-Jim Hensen

Not that. The controller works fine on 8 for gaming. I mean navigating the Metro interface.

This would have been a major selling point as a HTPC/gaming pc plugged into a TV. You should have been able to navigate the tiles with a wireless Xbox controller, and it should have had a virtual keyboard for the full screen apps. That would have made a lot of sense. There are a ton of people substituting mini itx PC's for consoles. My sister would be one with a mini itx GTX 970.

Absolutely stupid that she needs to navigate with cordless mouse/keyboard when they could have just implemented it for her wireless Xbox controllers. Yeah she can use Steam Big Picture mode, but then she lacks a virtual keyboard for the browser etc. This all should have been in Metro. 

i think if we speak up about this enough that windows 10 might have that.

maybe even like, three different version of windows 10, desktop, console, and pro (which has both) 

-Jim Hensen

you can ignore it jsut like you do the hipters at starbucks. :D

I do that by not going to starbucks at all.

Except when I feel like making them feel ill at ease because someone who open carries is in line trying to get a decent french vanilla cappuccino. 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs