Moving games from one machine to another

Wrathfulram

Hello, the question I have is if I can move game files from one machine to another? Steam, Origin, Uplay games to be precise. Or do I have to start fresh and download them all again once I build the machine?  

Also, the machine im trying to move files from is win 7 while the machine im building will be win 8.1. Will this be possible? 

All you need to do is copy your Steam/Origin folders...

Once you have your new machine setup, you can paste those folders into your new hard drive/ssd.

Go into the settings of Steam/Origin and point to those folders as installation folders.  Orgin might flip out and say "downloading" if you click on those games, but it's just verifying the files.  Steam on the other hand will recognize your games immediately.

hope that helps

Hello, the question I have is if I can move game files from one machine to another? Steam, Origin, Uplay games to be precise. Or do I have to start fresh and download them all again once I build the machine?  

Also, the machine im trying to move files from is win 7 while the machine im building will be win 8.1. Will this be possible? 

You need to move the steam folder in your SSD or HDD and any affiliated game data manually, I've done it a few times before, it saves a lot of time downloading everything including bandwidth. As for windows 7 to 8.1 I don't believe there are any issues with transferring it.

Say one of the SSD has all the game files on it and doesnt have the OS installed, can i just put the SSD into the new machine and be able to use it with no problems?

Say one of the SSD has all the game files on it and doesnt have the OS installed, can i just put the SSD into the new machine and be able to use it with no problems?

You may need to remap the location to tell where the folder is located but i shouldn't be a problem, but if you have steam and everything on the SSD itself you can run off it directly. 

As stated above it's easy. Have in mind that save files are stored in another place. Usually c user documents or the hidden folder roaming app data in c user documents. 

I did this quite recently. Steam recognized them instantly. In Origin you tell the client where the game folder is. It won't show you that the games are installed yet. Click download and the client will notice that the game is already there an installed. From there on everything should run smoothly.

MSI X99S SLI PLUS  // Intel Core i7-5960X Processor (8 x 3.0 GHz) // Corsair Hydro Series H80i Cooling // 32 GB DDR4 High End Crucial 2133 MHz RAM

2 x 4096 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 //2 x 500 GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD // 4000 GB SATA III, 7200upm // 1000 Watt Silverstone Strider SS //Creative Sound Blaster Z

Cooler Master Cosmos II Big Tower (ATX)