Samsung TVs will play PlayStation games without a PlayStation in 2015

XTankSlayerX

Sony and Samsung are teaming up to offer gamers a festive treat: PlayStation games without a PlayStation on Samsung smart TVs.

Samsung's Internet-connected TVs in the US and Canada will be able to access the PlayStation Now service in the first half of next year.

PlayStation Now enables you to stream games from the Web straight to the TV without needing a PlayStation console. You do need a Sony Dualshock controller, but once that's plugged in all you have to do is fire up an app on the TV and you can choose from over 200 PS3 games to start playing immediately.

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-tvs-will-let-you-play-playstation-games-without-a-playstation-in-2015/?

Hype! I love the idea of this!

Streaming games is still completely unfeasible where I live, and even where it is feasible the latency won't be great.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sounds very interresting, the question is just, how expensive is it going to be.. As I assume its not going to be implented in low-end models.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

The end of PlayStation hardware is nigh.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

First nvidea's grid , now Sony's streaming. Cloud gaming is coming pretty quick fast.

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Because everyone has a Gigabit connection

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

The idea sounds great, but streaming it though the web... Latency is gonna be huge for now.

Streaming games is still completely unfeasible where I live, and even where it is feasible the latency won't be great.

This will most likely be streaming of older playstation titles. It won't require fat pipes like you think. 

Sounds very interresting, the question is just, how expensive is it going to be.. As I assume its not going to be implented in low-end models.

I think this is going to be more of a playstation tv built in. A lot of TV's come with some pretty decent hardware these days and can already play games and install android apps. Playstation TV isn't that powerful so it should be pretty easy to implement. 

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationtv/

The idea sounds great, but streaming it though the web... Latency is gonna be huge for now.

Wouldn't be that much of an issue if governments (especially Australian Government) Stop being retarded and actually roll out FTTP

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

So IF this works well on their tvs

and IF internet speeds were up to par

could this mean a big change in the way we know consoles? 

Instead of buying a piece of hardware you simply buy a controller and sign up for a service on your tv

This will most likely be streaming of older playstation titles. It won't require fat pipes like you think. 

What do you mean? Streaming a video signal takes the same exact  bandwidth regardless of how old the game is... and even at low resolutions, the latency would be monstrous.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is pretty crazy. I don't know how well it will actually work but it's an interesting step. I don't think this will become normal for quite a while though (the average Internet speed probably isn't high enough for this to replace a physical console)

Guess my internet would be one of the ones with the gigantic latency.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The end of PlayStation hardware is nigh.

tbh i still want consoles

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

What do you mean? Streaming a video signal takes the same exact  bandwidth regardless of how old the game is... and even at low resolutions, the latency would be monstrous.

but you are interacting with it unlike video so more upstream is needed and latency is more apparent when you are clicking and doing actions in a game via a stream if not local

but you are interacting with it unlike video so more upstream is needed and latency is more apparent when you are clicking and doing actions in a game via a stream if not local

but that is independent from the age of the game, and input doesn't really take that much bandwidth.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

meh on nvidia's grid latency is less than 25ms in california which is more than playable

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Would be cool if it would be In-Home Streaming :D

In home streaming of what? Presumably your PlayStation 3 is already plugged into your TV. I guess you could also stream it to another TV in your house? That'd be incredibly niche though.

but that is independent from the age of the game, and input doesn't really take that much bandwidth.

Not entirely accurate. Bitrate is extremely important for visual fidelity. It also matters for resolution. Streaming a PS1 game at 480i vs streaming a PS3 game at 720p or 1080p.

Also, because the graphics are much more simplified on older games, a PS1 game could use a much lower bitrate without losing any noticeable quality. Streaming a PS3 game will require a much higher bitrate to still look good.

Video isn't just video. Compare a 2GB iTunes movie vs a 30GB Blu-Ray movie. The quality difference is quite quite noticeable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I thought it was gonna be PS1/PS2 compatible hardware stuffed in a TV so that you could download games and run them from a library.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

meh on nvidia's grid latency is less than 25ms in california which is more than playable

I don't even get 25ms when I ping google, I can't imagine what would happen with grid streaming ^^ California is a lucky place, most of the world just isn't ready yet.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

First nvidea's grid , now Sony's streaming. Cloud gaming is coming pretty quick fast.

cloud is the future ;)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Not entirely accurate. Bitrate is extremely important for visual fidelity. It also matters for resolution. Streaming a PS1 game at 480i vs streaming a PS3 game at 720p or 1080p.

Also, because the graphics are much more simplified on older games, a PS1 game could use a much lower bitrate without losing any noticeable quality. Streaming a PS3 game will require a much higher bitrate to still look good.

Video isn't just video. Compare a 2GB iTunes movie vs a 30GB Blu-Ray movie. The quality difference is quite quite noticeable.

Oh, I see what you mean. I was assuming these games would all be streamed at 1080p considering processing power wouldn't be an issue any longer, but who knows... I was saying that if the streaming quality and resolution is the same it doesn't matter how old the game is (I think I would notice if quake was streamed at a low bitrate to be honest, it's not so much a question of how good the game looks but rather of not having a blocky image, which would be noticeable regardless).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Anyone old enough to remember the "Sega Channel"?

this is nothing new.