WD Purple for desktop use?

Octavialicious
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey, I was wondering about using a WD purple as a storage drive. Sure they are made for surveillance systems, but would they be fine in a desktop environment? they are meant to be reliable & durable and they are still fast, so speaking they are only a few more dollars than the WD Green would they be worth it?

Hey Octavialicious,

WD Purple drives are designed for surveillance environments and have different features in the firmware to make them great for that purpose. You shouldn't have problems using them in a regular desktop, but I would recommend simply going with WD Green or WD Black for data storage (depending on what speed you are looking for). 
WD Red are NAS/RAID class drives but they should work just as good in a regular desktop. :)
You can check all drives' specs and advantages here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

Hey, I was wondering about using a WD purple as a storage drive. Sure they are made for surveillance systems, but would they be fine in a desktop environment? they are meant to be reliable & durable and they are still fast, so speaking they are only a few more dollars than the WD Green would they be worth it?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

but why not make your life simple and get a blue?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

but why not make your life simple and get a blue?

I need 2 TB :c I have a 1 TB blue and I love it but I need more storage :(

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

After doing some reading on WD threads you should not as Purple have a higher risk of data corruption in a desktop environment

I would recommend Blues or Blacks. 

one more thing is be careful with Greens as they have allot of eco and power saving stuff that hinders performance. 

HTID

I wouldn't recommend getting a WD purple if they are used for surveillance only they probably suck....... Get a WD Green 2TB 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

i think i just got the worlds craziest idea...

BUY ANOTHER BLUE

1+1=2

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

The difference from the purple is that they are made for duracability and to be reliable ( what you said) -

GREEN is a power saving focused hard drive and will run at lower speed but also lower power (wattage).

CHECK THIS OUT

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

i dont think you will run into any problem but you can try it out ( it might also have better security)

IMO the Green 2TB are not as bad as many think

it just slower with access/seek time

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i think i just got the worlds craziest idea...

BUY ANOTHER BLUE

1+1=2

Not enough room :/ I already have to mount this in a 5.25 bay via an adapter lol

Not enough room :/ I already have to mount this in a 5.25 bay via an adapter lol

oi :c

Should I just get a red instead? a WD Black is out of my budget  -_-

Should I just get a red instead? a WD Black is out of my budget  -_-

nope

Red are meant for NAS

pick the Green

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

nope

Red are meant for NAS

pick the Green

but I hear they fail a lot  <_<

but I hear they fail a lot  <_<

rubbish!

i using them and i dont see mine failing

rubbish!

i using them and i dont see mine failing

Still, on newegg 1/3 reviews are 1 Egg :3

Still, on newegg 1/3 reviews are 1 Egg :3

never believe the reviews

and you got warranty for a reason

never believe the reviews

and you got warranty for a reason

you still lose data and you have to wait for them to ship you a new one  :(

Hey Octavialicious,

WD Purple drives are designed for surveillance environments and have different features in the firmware to make them great for that purpose. You shouldn't have problems using them in a regular desktop, but I would recommend simply going with WD Green or WD Black for data storage (depending on what speed you are looking for). 
WD Red are NAS/RAID class drives but they should work just as good in a regular desktop. :)
You can check all drives' specs and advantages here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

you still lose data and you have to wait for them to ship you a new one  :(

backup backup backup

i make 3 copies of my video after losing my USB harddisk which has all my movies and anime

Hey Octavialicious,

Captain_WD.

Thanks! I think I will go for the red due to it having a longer warranty, and I can't afford a black anyways :P

Thanks again for your help :D

I assuming the drive won't have a lot of airflow in the 5.25 bay, in which case the lower power consumption, and hence lower heat output, green drive would be a good choice.

I assuming the drive won't have a lot of airflow in the 5.25 bay, in which case the lower power consumption, and hence lower heat output, green drive would be a good choice.

My boyfriend accidentally ordered a WD Purple anyways :( Maybe I could ghetto mount a fan up there?

My boyfriend accidentally ordered a WD Purple anyways :( Maybe I could ghetto mount a fan up there?

@Monkey Dust great suggestion! 

WD Green, WD Red and WD Purple all have Intellipower which means they are energy-efficient drives that run cool, quiet and with less vibration. I don't believe you will need to mount an additional fan to cool that drive or if its heat will affect your other components. You should be good with either of those three. :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/