Apple (OSX) vs The Rest (Windows)

Now before I begin I don't want this to turn into a flaming thread about OSX vs the rest - if it does I will just lock it. Now the general consensus among many people is that Apple laptops are grosly overpriced for what they are. In my hunt for a new laptop I came across something rather interesting - some very different pricing. Keep in mind that these prices are for Australia so they may vary around the world.

z9gplvV.png

Note the Dell M7700 does not exist. It was a typo. It was meant to read M6700.

I have adjusted each laptop on their website to have roughly the same specs. The price on the Dell M6700 is a little highe due to a $300 addition to get the Quadro card. I do also understand that you're comparing Firepower and Quadro cards to a GTX series card however they perform similarly in benchmarks and in the case of the M6700, that does not excuse the price delta.

Now I know that Apples pricing on their lower end laptops isn't exactly amazing but I think the 'overprice'ness is extremely overrated when looking at these laptops.

So this is just some food for thought and a bit of a reality check.

I already knew this... because i'm not ignorant.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Yah I agree that they aren't "overpriced" but thats only when they first come out with a new model. Linus talked about this on the live stream the other day as you probably know, and yah I don't find it that hard to believe that when a new reboot of apples older models comes out, like now with the mac pro, that they are a competitive solution for the time. With that being said, when they become "overpriced" is when apple doesn't really do much of an update for that model in about 5 years and apple still has the older tech  in the device and is charging the same price for that product as they had been in the previous 5 years.

When i went about 8 years ago in Dell store, there was an overpriced dell laptop on a fancy stand. It was really thick, and it was not running any app, and on tuch the keyboard was hot! True that it was summer but still... We ended up buying HP lappy.

Dell has low quality and high price laptops i guess... at least thats my experience not sure  how quality has improved lol.

You're looking at the top tier professional laptops here. Of course there are overpriced Windows laptops as well (most famously, Alienware). I'm sure you can find laptops similarly specced to the Macbook Pros for a lot less.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Depending on your usecase, some apple products are not overpriced at all. Also you can still install Windows if you want to :P (i would).

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Yah I agree that they aren't "overpriced" but thats only when they first come out with a new model. Linus talked about this on the live stream the other day as you probably know, and yah I don't find it that hard to believe that when a new reboot of apples older models comes out, like now with the mac pro, that they are a competitive solution for the time. With that being said, when they become "overpriced" is when apple doesn't really do much of an update for that model in about 5 years and apple still has the older tech  in the device and is charging the same price for that product as they had been in the previous 5 years.

Every pre built computer is overpriced when they are nearing the end of that particular update cycle. Linus' argument was more specific towards the Mac Pros, as they have very long update cycles. Apples laptop doesn't.

You're looking at the top tier professional laptops here. I'm sure you can find laptops similarly specced to the Macbook Pros for a lot less.

I did that research based on processor mainly then scaled them evenly with their hardware. The I7 3840QM alone is $600 according to Intel. 

There is nothing that can compete with the Macbook Air.

There seems to be a thing amongst the children here where they hate everything just because it has an Apple logo on it.

because quadro/firepro cards are stupid expensive? :D

Something like a ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ-DB114H has the same stuff like a Macbook, even retina display... 1699€

vs Standard Macbook pro 15" retina 2199€.

Thats 500€ difference for the brand..Zenbooks have a epic build quality so you can't say apples unibody would cost 500€ more

Every pre built computer is overpriced when they are nearing the end of that particular update cycle. Linus' argument was more specific towards the Mac Pros, as they have very long update cycles. Apples laptop doesn't.

True but I still don't think they update them enough, specifically the mac pro. I mean I realize it takes time to design a new product but the thing that is really a ripoff is that they are going to charge full price for a piece of tech that is 4 or 5 years old.

I did that research based on processor mainly then scaled them evenly with their hardware. The I7 3840QM alone is $600 according to Intel. 

This, and the fact that those MacBook Pros are considered pro grade laptops (albeit without pro grade gpus)

Something else people don't factor in is that the quality of the MacBook range, they shit all over anything else.

Linus also said in the stream that companies have caught up.... HAVE. THEY. FUCK. They still make cheap shit, but make it LOOK premium. Just copying apples design queues is enough to give a false sense of quality among consumers.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Something else people don't factor in is that the quality of the MacBook range, they shit all over anything else.

Linus also said in the stream that companies have caught up.... HAVE. THEY. FUCK. They still make cheap shit, but make it LOOK premium. Just copying apples design queues is enough to give a false sense of quality among consumers.

Agree. It's a little bit like when HTC made the One X. Everyone kepr raving on about how good the polycarbonate body was and that it rivaled the best in build quality. It just didn't. It was OK and didn't break, but it wasn't premium. When they launched the One though, that was really something.

I would compare most laptops out there to the HTC One X, good quality, looked good when it came out and all that. I would compare MacBook Pros to the HTC One. Outstanding

Yeah, the HTC one is actually very solid. No complaints with that at all.

Well that was an eyeopener, thanks Windspeed. I think statistically we (Australians) pay a lot more for electronics. There was a segment on the news about it recently. 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Does bootcamp emulate windows flawlessly?

Windows and Linux is important imo

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Does bootcamp emulate windows flawlessly?

Windows and Linux is important imo

As far as i know there is no emulation done with bootcamp, its just a proprietary kind of dual/multi boot. Also you could just get rid of OSX and install Windows/Linux instead i think.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Bootcamp just installs all the drivers on windows and gives you the loading screen. It works just like normal windows... I have gamed on it all the time.

But the other thing that people overlook: apple's battery quality. Apple computers continually last longer, and dont degrade as fast as any of the other brands out there.  My current Mac book pro, early 2011, so over 2 years old, has 246 cycles and 89% of its battery capacity left. Thats ridiculous. I still get 5+ hours of battery life and i have a i7, 16gb of ram, 6750m graphics card, and a 512 ssd. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

To be honest, I love Apple hardware. They're beautiful and generally well-built. And as NeoZeon mentioned, the battery life is awesome.

Ill do this again hopefully tonight with a different price/hardware aim.

Yeah, it is quite overpriced when on the other side you get quadro cards, proper work station cards, so sad apple, you make such beautiful laptops. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Sorry I don't know what i5 either of them are, I think they were the same, but I can't be sure as I made this a while ago, I agree that some of their products are competitive money wise, some are not, but personally I don't like OSX :)

21119 4034365397503 1714340821 N

Oh also sorry about the cheeky 'why would you buy Mac?' at the bottom I made this for a mate that wanted the Air. :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I'm confused as to what you are comparing?

The build quality is not the same and the specs are not the same.

I agree that sometimes apple is not as overpriced as it seems but I don't get what this really proves, the quoted machines are not a fair comparison. If we are comparing an aluminum notebook to a plastic one compare it to something like an msi force, alienware m15x, or a Sager np8250. You can save a couple hundred from a computer with the same specs and 1080p screen. You just won't be getting the aluminum frame and retina display. Once the 3k msi laptop comes to market we can compare screen resolution also.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I'm confused as to what you are comparing?

The build quality is not the same and the specs are not the same.

I agree that sometimes apple is not as overpriced as it seems but I don't get what this really proves, the quoted machines are not a fair comparison. If we are comparing an aluminum notebook to a plastic one compare it to something like an msi force, alienware m15x, or a Sager np8250. You can save a couple hundred from a computer with the same specs and 1080p screen. You just won't be getting the aluminum frame and retina display. Once the 3k msi laptop comes to market we can compare screen resolution also.

I did note that the GPU's though not the same were of similar performance in benchmarks and did not exactly justify the price delta. I also couldn't find any of those laptops available here in Australia.