Is mining with the GTX 970 at 650 MH/s worth it?

I've gone ahead and overclocked my GTX 970 with +270 MHz. Don't ask my electricity bills because I'm pretty sure that they're similar everywhere, and I don't know them.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I've gone ahead and overclocked my GTX 970 with +270 MHz. Don't ask my electricity bills because I'm pretty sure that they're similar everywhere, and I don't know them.

No, dont bother at all, GPU mining is basically dead

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As long as you don't have to pay the electric bill, go ahead.

But if you are the bugger that pays the bills, then don't bother, it's not worth it.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

That's not much better than a GTX 680 i think. So, no. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Oh, how specific!

Seriously though, not much could be any amount.

Like about $0.05 from a week to two weeks.. Just stay away from it, if it was 8 months ago, we'd all probably have to pay $800ish for a r9 290 instead of $250...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Oh, how specific!

I wouldn't go to this forum to ask anything that is even remotely related to mining.

That's about the best advice i can give. I'm pretty sure the couple regulars gave up a while ago.. started lurking more? :P

Edited by tobben

Oh, how specific!

Because you're not specifying a coin/algorithm I'll assume Bitcoin.

Less than 2 cents a week at current difficulty and mining 24/7.

About 0.002841 cents per day.

Running costs will be 60 cents - $1 per day. Even if you're not paying it, someone else is and you're essentially stealing from them.

Keep in mind, this will run your GPU into the ground pinning it at constant 100% making your computer for the most part unusable while mining.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

If you'd like to make 2 cents for every $1 of power, go ahead. You'll break your GPU pretty quickly.

You also never mentioned a coin at all, they're all different.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

No

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Litecoin tanked from 15usd per coin to sub 4 with much higher difficulty than it was before on top of that. As already stated, you'll have maybe a handful of deluded dedicated people who claim we're all dumb and to keep mining while the rest with common sense jumped off that sinking ship ages ago.

There is a reason the R9 290 is cheap now vs being hyperinflated months ago. 

No

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

• 3 weeks later...

the only reason i gpu mined it to learn the basics and if you want do see income you will nee meny gpu use an AMD based not nvidia very slow even a 980 will run at 600 mh/s and one 980 cots 500+ $ you can pay 50 $ for 10gh/s here https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage-new-products/10-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html so if you were thinking of buying a gpu for mining take the price that you were going to pay and fing a asic miner for that price 

If you look at some alternate scripts such as X11 or X13 you could bring it a bit more then Scrypt, but if this is for just a bit of fun while your PC isnt gaming and your not paying the bills, just jump on something like www.multipool.us/ and let that do all the work.

Litecoin tanked from 15usd per coin to sub 4 with much higher difficulty than it was before on top of that. As already stated, you'll have maybe a handful of deluded dedicated people who claim we're all dumb and to keep mining while the rest with common sense jumped off that sinking ship ages ago.

There is a reason the R9 290 is cheap now vs being hyperinflated months ago. 

OMG lolol this post hahaha

If you are thinking you can make a lot of money off of mining with the 970, then think again.

If you are new to mining and want to learn more of the process of doing so, then maybe mine for a little while, but don't expect to earn a significant amount of money, unless of course the value of the particular coin rises significantly or something

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

GPU mining is dead. They have machines dedicated to running the hash now that do it much more efficiently. :)

Sadly its not worth it. Either go buy an r9 290x or go with an asic based solution.

Well how much am I making?

Your question should be : How much am I loosing ?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I've been trying to OC the 970 for a while now and the safest I can go is +125.

On-Topic: Mining nowadays is dominated by dedicated hardware and people running their rooms of GPUs.