Achieving higher overclocks? +questions about i7 4790k

Hello friends! Recently I've been competing with some friends overclocking the i7 4790k.

My weapon of choice has been the MSI z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and a corsair CX750m

My cooler is a Corsair H100i running push/pull outside of my case.

Currently I've been able to stay stable at 5.67Ghz 1.3v and my hottest core at 63C under 100% load.

I've already disabled hyper-threading and have been considering disabling cores.

Is there anything else I can do to get higher clocks?

Also I understand 1.3v is supposed to be the max safe voltage. Can I run my cpu over 1.3v if the temps stay low? I've seen a lot of mixed answers regarding the max safe temps for this cpu  but the general conclusion is that it shouldn't pass 72C? Can anyone confirm this?

post-165110-0-56656100-1418366386.png

You're so lucky. You hit the jackpot with that CPU.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You're so lucky. You hit the jackpot with that CPU.

Jackpot?

Jackpot?

Yeah, you got a good CPU in the silicon lottery. Thus the jackpot. With just an H100 you got 5GHz+. That's insane.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Yeah, you got a good CPU in the silicon lottery. Thus the jackpot. With just an H100 you got 5GHz+. That's insane.

: D I never thought there was a big difference in off the shelf cpu's. I mean i know there are slight variations but I figured it was very minuscule. I'm still trying to figure out about the max voltage though and what I can do to get higher clocks (without having to use ice/LiqNitro)

85C and lower for 24/7 use is considered safe.  1.3v and lower is also considered safe.  Of course you can push it higher, but that is when you enter the more risky temperatures and voltages.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hello friends! Recently I've been competing with some friends overclocking the i7 4790k.

My weapon of choice has been the MSI z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and a corsair CX750m

Currently I've been able to stay stable at 5.67Ghz 1.3v and my hottest core at 63C under 100% load.

I've already disabled hyper-threading and have been considering disabling cores.

Also I understand 1.3v is supposed to be the max safe voltage. Can I run my cpu over 1.3v if the temps stay low? I've seen a lot of mixed answers regarding the max safe temps for this cpu  but the general conclusion is that it shouldn't pass 72C? Can anyone confirm this?

Any chance on getting a CPU-Z validation on that? ---> http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.71.1-setup-en.exe

I trust Win 8.1 task manager about as much as a clepto. Sorry to be a downer here, but there's no way that thing is running 5.67 @ 1.3v.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I'm running mine at 4.8 @ 1.3V using a H100i and that's a quite good cpu as by what i've seen so far. How the hell did you get to that frequency at the same voltage? Makes no sense at all.

Sure I'll be able to post it sometime tomorrow. I just powered her off for the night.

I'm running mine at 4.8 @ 1.3V using a H100i and that's a quite good cpu as by what i've seen so far. How the hell did you get to that frequency at the same voltage? Makes no sense at all.

because it's not. Common problem with Win 8.1 and task manager

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1111079-task-manager-reporting-wrong-cpu-frequency/

To get anything remotely close to that clock you would need to be running North of 1.65v and on LN2 or Phase http://lab501.net/intel-core-i7-4790k-intel-pentium-g3258-overclocking-study/25/

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Very disappointing Cupz says it's only at 5.1 wtf makes task manager say that?????

Yeah I have a very hard time believing that these clocks are true especially just on an h100... Please post screenshots and validate your claims. Even 5.1 seems ridiculous at 1.3v only hitting 63 degrees. 

Yeah I have a very hard time believing that these clocks are true especially just on an h100... Please post screenshots and validate your claims. Even 5.1 seems ridiculous at 1.3v only hitting 63 degrees. 

will do. I think something may have failed though. I'm just getting 5 beeps when i turn her on. Good thing I got insurance.

will do. I think something may have failed though. I'm just getting 5 beeps when i turn her on. Good thing I got insurance.

Reset CMOS and that should get you back into the BIOS. If you were actually at 1.3v it's a miracle it made it to the desktop at 5.1. If you didn't manually set the voltage and left it on auto or adaptive, or used OC tuning software, you may have been drawing well over 1.3v and could have caused some damage.

Post a cpu screen shot and a cinebench score so we can take you and this claimed stable oc seriously

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Post a cpu screen shot and a cinebench score so we can take you and this claimed stable oc seriously

I will as soon as I determine that I can safely run this clock again. Give me a few min .

Reset CMOS and that should get you back into the BIOS. If you were actually at 1.3v it's a miracle it made it to the desktop at 5.1. If you didn't manually set the voltage and left it on auto or adaptive, or used OC tuning software, you may have been drawing well over 1.3v and could have caused some damage.

I was using software to OC not the Bios. Pulling the Cmos battery let me boot. I booted in safe mood and disabled the program.

I was using software to OC not the Bios. Pulling the Cmos battery let me boot. I booted in safe mood and disabled the program.

Oh sweet jesus. DO NOT USE OC SOFTWARE! Especially when plugging in that multiplier. The way a majority of OC software works is that you set a multiplier, it will apply as much voltage as it deems necessary to hit that clock. AND it will vary that voltage delivery, much like adaptive. Sooooo if you go trying to start a bench in XTU, Prime95, whatever; it may in fact say 1.3v when you're looking at the desktop, but as soon as you start a bench it could throw 1.5v+ at it.

What you are doing is dangerous for your CPU and board.

If you want to OC take the time to learn how to do it manually. This is a good place to start: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Temps better than custom loop on xeon. Guess that tells you something about TIM of haswell...

You are the luckiest person to get that overclock, like seriously.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG