Why does it seem like the price/performance ratio is better with AMD cards

clarkmcc

Why does it seem like the price/performance ratio is better with AMD cards at least for the cheaper cards. It seems like I have to spend at least 250-300 to get a working Nvidia card but I can get a new AMD card that blasts games out of the water for the same price? Am I missing something?

Because it is.

They use a larger manufacturing process, cheaper components (less efficient, more heat, more power hungry).

They are also priced more aggressively.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because it is.

They use a larger manufacturing process, cheaper components (less efficient, more heat, more power hungry).

They are also priced more aggressively.

What do you mean by priced more aggressively? Is it worth it to go with AMD cards if they use cheaper components?

AMD has the mid range on lock down, thats about it.

I brought a 270 for my pc and in NZ I would of spent atleast another $100 on a equal nvidia... Kinda stupid.

Also GTX 970s cost 600+ in NZ.

I brought a 270 for my pc and in NZ I would of spent atleast another $100 on a equal nvidia... Kinda stupid.

Yeah I just got an R9 270x Toxic for $125 that runs circles around my FTW 750 ti. I can't even get a nvidia card for that.

What do you mean by priced more aggressively? Is it worth it to go with AMD cards if they use cheaper components?

Priced more aggressively to compete in the market. Even though Nvidia GPUs are generally more expensive, a lot of people still buy them because of features, preference, and other reasons such as heat or efficiency.

The cheaper components used on AMD GPUs is fine, its not "worse quality" but rather "older technology" that is cheaper to manufacture.

Their performance is still very good, so if you're on a tight budget and don't mind a little more heat, noise, or power consumption then chances are an AMD GPU is the choice for you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They use comparable quality components, they just accept thinner margins and probably spend a bit less on R&D

They make less profit off each card they sell.

Cheaper cards + more people buy = AMD

More expensive cards + less people buy = Nvidia

In the end the profit margin for the companies is similar, but for the consumer, AMD is a better choice in the mid range.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

priced more aggressively means they are not making as much per unit compared to other products. For example you have a 1080p 24" IPS 5ms Dell monitor 100% sRGB Dell monitor priced at $255, and Samsung sundenly appear with a monitor with the same specs, priced at $200, the Samsung one was priced more aggressively.

Having cheaper component's is not bad, instead of getting more efficient capacitors for example, they get some that could output more heat; Instead of going for a very sturdy 10 layer PCB they get a more regular 8 layer one, etc. Both cards will last and work the same, one of them is more premium. Also, Nvidia pushes publicity MUCH more harder than AMD, as well as R&D; they have to pay all those people, AMD just doesn't.

As an American, I cri everytim. NZ or Aus, you lot get terrible prices on pc tech that it makes me feel bad.

As an American, I cri everytim. NZ or Aus, you lot get terrible prices on pc tech that it makes me feel bad.

Yeah its pretty bad here, although its not really the retailers fault as people usually presume, its the fact that the 'cost' price from the distributors is so damn high.

Yeah I just got an R9 270x Toxic for $125 that runs circles around my FTW 750 ti. I can't even get a nvidia card for that.

125 in new zealand?

adding on to what others have already said, Nvidia also uses their branding to sell their products.

"But on a competitive basis things are not so solidly in NVIDIA’s favor. NVIDIA does not always attempt to compete with AMD on a price/performance basis in the mainstream market, as their brand and retail presence gives them something they can bank on even when they don’t have the performance advantage. "

- From a review of the Nvidia 750Ti and 750 from AnandTech

Article Link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell/24

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)