Seagate now shipping $260 8TB HDD, 3 cents per gig

Seagate has like the highest failure rate in hdd market, I wonder how these will be

source?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Seagate has like the highest failure rate in hdd market, I wonder how these will be

I am assuming you got that data from the Blackblaze test? I saw that too, but it's not correct.

Blackblaze's data is not accurate at all, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Their methodology is extremely flawed and they have not given enough information to be able to make an informed conclusion.  

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

Thanks @Blade of Grass  ;)

Quote from here - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/261947-how-much-better-is-wd-black-than-blue/?p=3575391

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

This is absolutely insane for the price. I won't be picking one up, but it's still really good to see.

I think at some point we will pick up a few 8 TB drives - when they are like $100 or so. A few of these could certainly hold all steam games.

It's from a test on BlackBlaze. Tweak town has shown it to be invalid though

source?

Pics or it didn't happen /sourcepls

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

It's from a test on BlackBlaze. Tweak town has shown it to be invalid though

thats what i thought

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

What's the price per gigabyte on that beast?

Also my only hdd that's failed was a seagate but it lasted 8 years.

HTID

I actually agree with @topsu.

I've had 3 Seagate HDDs in 4 years of time. All ended up in bad sectors and other failures! Didn't like that!

So now using WD for 3 years! No failures or no performance drops at all.

WD Rocks!

I like Hitachi (a WD company) and Toshiba too! They make good reliable drives.

Source:My personal experience!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Seagate master race. LOL. Good job Seagate.

aha, seagate a master race, might last for a  short period till WD oh look we got 10  xD got both drive types in my workstation so i don't judge but it's still fun to watch.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

aha, seagate a master race, might last for a short period till WD oh look we got 10 xD got both drive types in my workstation so i don't judge but it's still fun to watch.

Nope. I had one and it never failed. Had been using it for 5+ years.

What's the price per gigabyte on that beast?

Also my only hdd that's failed was a seagate but it lasted 8 years.

I'd say 8 years is long enough for 10Tb SSDs to become the same price if this drive lasts that long. Samsung 1250 Pro anyone?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I hate to be "that guy", but your repost link is to this very article.  We might have a recursion error here...We must go deeper!!!

ahh crap i meant to post this in a repost

instead i posted it here lol

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Does anyone find it odd that there is NO RPM value given in any of the material on this thing?

Still, I checked the price here in Norway, it's coming in at around 2.200 NOK which is cheaper than a WD Red 6TB drive. Badass.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Does anyone find it odd that there is NO RPM value given in any of the material on this thing?

Still, I checked the price here in Norway, it's coming in at around 2.200 NOK which is cheaper than a WD Red 6TB drive. Badass.

It, much like the WD Green, probably uses an energy saver intelligent RPM design, somewhere in the range of 5200 to 5900 (Greens and Reds are around 5900), but it will have a fairly large variable range to save power when minor access to the drive is being made.

So no, I don't find it odd. I don't expect this drive to be 7200 RPM.

Edit: Also, this drive is not entirely comparable to a WD Red. They're designed for different usage scenarios. WD Red drives will likely be a little faster, especially since the Seagate drive uses Shingling technology, which inherently means slower reads when different data is in a similar physical location.

The WD Red is also RAID and NAS rated. Does anyone know if these Seagate drives have TLER?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It, much like the WD Green, probably uses an energy saver intelligent RPM design, somewhere in the range of 5200 to 5900 (Greens and Reds are around 5900), but it will have a fairly large variable range to save power when minor access to the drive is being made.

So no, I don't find it odd. I don't expect this drive to be 7200 RPM.

Edit: Also, this drive is not entirely comparable to a WD Red. They're designed for different usage scenarios. WD Red drives will likely be a little faster, especially since the Seagate drive uses Shingling technology, which inherently means slower reads when different data is in a similar physical location.

The WD Red is also RAID and NAS rated. Does anyone know if these Seagate drives have TLER?

You just told me a bunch of stuff I already know apart from the part where you disagree with how not listing RPM value (variable or not) is poor marketing ethic.

Is it a quantifiable statistic? It needs to be documented. No ifs ands or buts. But I guess a large portion of US companies base their business model on selling things to people who are kept in the dark as much as possible under the furthest extent of the law. (Which in the case of USA is faaaaaar)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It's 5900 RPM.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nah, no point, WD just released their 10TB helium HDD to counter at only 2.2 cents per GB. It'll be on shelves by Christmas.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You just told me a bunch of stuff I already know apart from the part where you disagree with how not listing RPM value (variable or not) is poor marketing ethic.

Is it a quantifiable statistic? It needs to be documented. No ifs ands or buts. But I guess a large portion of US companies base their business model on selling things to people who are kept in the dark as much as possible under the furthest extent of the law. (Which in the case of USA is faaaaaar)

Can you specifically point out where I disagreed with you on this matter? Since, I do believe that I didn't even touch on the subject of poor marketing ethic... But thank you for assuming a position I have not stated.

Whether you agree with their marketing tactics or not should not reflect on whether you find it odd. Perhaps you just weren't clear in what you meant in the post that I quoted.

Is it odd? No. It's quite normal in fact for HDD manufacturers to use tactics like that (Such as measuring HDD's in SI - eg: 1TB = 1000GB -  rather than listing in Binary (1TB = 1024GB).

Is it wrong? Yes, probably. Just like listing HDD sizes in SI rather than in Binary is.

But odd and wrong are not the same things. Just saying.

It's 5900 RPM.

As I thought it would be. Seems to be the trend for high capacity drives - especially since this is an "Archive" drive, and thus, they don't expect you to be constantly accessing it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Row, row, row your boat... They are one and the same in this context, as you can see I capitalized an entire word for emphasis: "Does anyone find it odd that there is NO RPM value given in any of the material on this thing?"

This is universal for all forums, so take it with you on your travels; it indicates a sarcastic tone to infer that something is wrong or off about the object in question. Read it out loud in your head with the same emphasis on "NO". It's super simple stuff.

This is so exciting. Especially since their 6TB drives originally shipped at a more expensive price point. Bottom line is that, if you need this kind of storage space, you probably don't need high performance (e.g. movie storage).

I don't know if I'll ever need this kind of storage space, but it is an awesome offering.

Personal experience. Out of 7 HDD's (where 2 were SSHD's), 7 out of 7 have stopped working, and are now just bricks.. shortest one was this http://i.imgur.com/embRtLG.jpg piece of shit. It only lasted 28 days before it stopped working.

At this point, after so many incidents, I've completely lost faith in Seagate.

I'm not saying this to slam them without reason, because I heard something "on the internet", I'm just saying from my personal experience with their products.. I will never again buy their products.

What drives were you running, and what exactly were you doing with them? If you use a drive in an inappropriate environment, then of course you will end up with failures. For instance, running consumer grade drives in a hot chassis, placed close together. Or you could just have been unlucky and gotten bad drives and/or had a bad postal carrier.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Can you specifically point out where I disagreed with you on this matter? Since, I do believe that I didn't even touch on the subject of poor marketing ethic... But thank you for assuming a position I have not stated.

Whether you agree with their marketing tactics or not should not reflect on whether you find it odd. Perhaps you just weren't clear in what you meant in the post that I quoted.

Is it odd? No. It's quite normal in fact for HDD manufacturers to use tactics like that (Such as measuring HDD's in SI - eg: 1TB = 1000GB -  rather than listing in Binary (1TB = 1024GB).

Is it wrong? Yes, probably. Just like listing HDD sizes in SI rather than in Binary is.

As I thought it would be. Seems to be the trend for high capacity drives - especially since this is an "Archive" drive, and thus, they don't expect you to be constantly accessing it.

Nope, WD's 10TB will be coming out in 7200 RPM. Seagate just fell behind, as usual.

I've never had good luck with Seagate drives. I'd prefer WD.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

This is so exciting. Especially since their 6TB drives originally shipped at a more expensive price point. Bottom line is that, if you need this kind of storage space, you probably don't need high performance (e.g. movie storage).

I don't know if I'll ever need this kind of storage space, but it is an awesome offering.

What drives were you running, and what exactly were you doing with them? If you use a drive in an inappropriate environment, then of course you will end up with failures. For instance, running consumer grade drives in a hot chassis, placed close together. Or you could just have been unlucky and gotten bad drives and/or had a bad postal carrier.

Google doesn't even run enterprise grade drives and they're fine (Source: Dr. Keith Fricken, current google DBA and former professor of Miami University).