Surprised no one noticed AMDs test-bench:

Nakoron

From the official AMD Catalyst "Omega" driver email sent out to those who signed up:

There is the usual disclaimer of how they had achieved their numbers and on what hardware.

1. Intel Core i7 4690X with 16GB DDR3-1866, AMD Radeon™ R9 290X Windows 8.1 64bit comparing launch driver 13.12 vs Driver 14.501. All tests run at 3840x2160. Civilization BE @ quality=medium mantle=off scored 46.17 vs 63.63 fps. 

1. Intel Core i7 4690X with 16GB DDR3-1866, AMD Radeon™ R9 290X Windows 8.1 64bit comparing launch driver 13.12 vs Driver 14.501. All tests run at 3840x2160. Civilization BE @ quality=medium mantle=off scored 46.17 vs 63.63 fps. 

I guess we can't say AMD is not humble. What does the FX line-up look like in the future? Or, are we looking at a strictly APU future for AMD?

Source: http://links.em.experience.amd.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjE4MTY4MzQS1&r=NzI2NzgwODExODES1&j=NDYwOTcwODEyS0&mt=1&rt=0

They said they wanted to focus on the APU and HSA going forward so probably not much being done in the FX department.

They said they wanted to focus on the APU and HSA going forward so probably not much being done in the FX department.

So i'm assuming FX lineup will die soon? Then there's really no competition for Intel, but I hate AMD if they start to support consoles over PC.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

They already know their high-end CPUs are crap. They just dont want to publicly announce that because there are still alot of people who think FX chips are better than intel. (for performance, not price)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

With a 290X, I'm sure most people have the more powerful Intel processors anyway. AMD processors aren't great when it comes to high-end configs, but can do better on a budget compared to Intel processors.

So i'm assuming FX lineup will die soon? Then there's really no competition for Intel, but I hate AMD if they start to support consoles over PC.

I think they'll realize quickly that it's a bad idea and bring out a new line-up of FX chips or maybe something new.

If the margin was low and the overhead was high then they made the best decision for them. Of course this will negatively affect consumers due to the lack of competition for Intel but time shall see. 

I think they'll realize quickly that it's a bad idea and bring out a new line-up of FX chips or maybe something new.

Umm, they better do it soon or face bankruptcy, like 3dfx did years ago.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, not the first time this happens: They did a build on some fucking expo or whatever to show off those firepro cards and they openly said it was x99 they know they just don't produce high end chips right now and the ATI part of AMD doesn't needs to be held back with the 8350

-------

Current Rig

-------

They know what's better, which gives em my respect, they know their place.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Umm, they better do it soon or face bankruptcy, like 3dfx did years ago.

Don't you mean Voodoo? Or were they not the same company?

I remember 3DFX had GLIDE the low level API, aka  "mantle" of the day...

and SLI...

and dual GPUs on a single card...

All in the late 90's. wtf.

Don't you mean Voodoo? Or were they not the same company?

I remember 3DFX had GLIDE the low level API, aka  "mantle" of the day...

and SLI...

and dual GPUs on a single card...

All in the late 90's. wtf.

But they paved the way for stuff like this. Nowadays, inventing things are kinda unnoticed.

But they paved the way for stuff like this. Nowadays, inventing things are kinda unnoticed.

Just got done testing Shadow of Mordor: amazing looking game, all but the stupidly high res textures enabled to max settings, runs like a dream on my 290x so yeah: They've missed the boat for a bit on processors and won't come back till 2016 but they're still selling amazing products at competitive prices. Yes the 970 is probably better, yet the 290s are more readily available worldwide for some of us that actually have a hard time getting new parts at reasonable prices.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They already know their high-end CPUs are crap. They just dont want to publicly announce that because there are still alot of people who think FX chips are better than intel. (for performance, not price)

Well for low end builds and low to mid gaming in general, they have been eating up a nice chunk of the dough. I'm interested in their plan of attack for the higher ranges, because we all know Intel will sit on their asses if they don't need to do anything drastic. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

From the official AMD Catalyst "Omega" driver email sent out to those who signed up:

There is the usual disclaimer of how they had achieved their numbers and on what hardware.

I guess we can't say AMD is not humble. What does the FX line-up look like in the future? Or, are we looking at a strictly APU future for AMD?

My understanding is that they are working towards eliminating the need for powerful CPUs to drive demanding workloads. Their move towards HSA and Mantle development support this -- they make better use of existing resources.

Let's be honest -- if you only needed a dual-core i3 to get the same performance as an overclocked i5 in games, why would you spend the extra money for that i5? Unless you're doing some other kind of work, like rendering. However, HSA is working to increase the performance of those kinds of workloads as well without requiring very powerful CPU cores. Granted, both of their projects require software to adopt them, but we've already seen people starting to jump on it. Only time will tell.

As for them running with a 4960X, they understand that Intel chips perform better by a wider margin without Mantle enabled (which was the case for their testing). If they ran with Mantle, they might have been able to get away with an FX CPU, but they didn't, presumably because the majority of games don't support Mantle yet, so running with it enabled wouldn't mean much to a lot of people.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

When they benched using their "poor cpus" you guys complained that the gains were false on your oced 4770k  and up. now they show you the gains on the best cpu and you still complain.

What has this forum turned into.

Waiting for their new CPUs not the FX line.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

When they benched using their "poor cpus" you guys complained that the gains were false on your oced 4770k  and up. now they show you the gains on the best cpu and you still complain.

double standards.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

aside what other said about them pushing hsa, i think they just dont want to update their high end until zen is on testing to see if they can make performance competitive cpus out of it, but that just my assumption

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

aside what other said about them pushing hsa, i think they just dont want to update their high end until zen is on testing to see if they can make performance competitive cpus out of it, but that just my assumption

This. Besides HSA will have huge benefits once it gets adopted properly. far more benefits than simply faster cpus. Regardless of how fast a cpu is it won't mach a decent apu/gpu from the same generation in lots of tasks.

they did the same when they unveiled MANTLE, so no news here.

When they benched using their "poor cpus" you guys complained that the gains were false on your oced 4770k and up. now they show you the gains on the best cpu and you still complain.

Thank you. Someone else sees this.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB