Specs of a mining rig + some info

Go to solution Solved by DIV1D3,

Unless he has free electricity, please advise him to not. 

Unless he REALLY want to support a specific coins security, which I'm sure the majority of people aren't, rather getting into it because of money and then abandoning it after realising that it was a mistake. 

Hi there,

My brother wants to get into bitcoin mining, he has told me that he is willing to spend around $4000 AUD if necessary. There are a couple things I'd like to know though.

Question 1) At this price (can go lower if this is way overkill), is mining worth it?

Question 2) Any recommended builds? (with links to components if possible) 

Thank you

Now is not the time to get into mining, its dead and a waste of money

Unless he REALLY want to support a specific coins security, which I'm sure the majority of people aren't, rather getting into it because of money and then abandoning it after realising that it was a mistake. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Question 1) At this price (can go lower if this is way overkill), is mining worth it?

No, at this point it's ASIC or waste money.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Oh ok then, darn :/

Thanks though

Oh ok then, darn :/

Thanks though

Yeh, I fairly dived right into mining, thinking that I could make $2,000 every year...

Though them electricity prices, now I'm stuck with two other 280Xs that are just sitting on my table -_-

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Yea, ASIC mining seems to be the only way to do it. And then I haven't seen anyone say they made money with it. Except.... What about solarpower? It would be expensive to get all setup. But once you were all setup... I wonder if it would be worth it.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Hi there,

My brother wants to get into bitcoin mining, he has told me that he is willing to spend around $4000 AUD if necessary. There are a couple things I'd like to know though.

Question 2) Any recommended builds? (with links to components if possible) 

Thank you

If he's going to mine he needs to learn about it himself, no offense meant or anything but if he has to ask you he isn't up for it.

Yeh, I fairly dived right into mining, thinking that I could make $2,000 every year...

Though them electricity prices, now I'm stuck with two other 280Xs that are just sitting on my table -_-

If you thought for a second you could calculate profits by the year you were screwed from the start. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

Yea, ASIC mining seems to be the only way to do it. And then I haven't seen anyone say they made money with it. Except.... What about solarpower? It would be expensive to get all setup. But once you were all setup... I wonder if it would be worth it.

nope, because youd make more money just putting the money back into the grid

nope, because youd make more money just putting the money back into the grid

Maybe.... I don't know. I defiantly don't have the money to find out.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Maybe.... I don't know. I defiantly don't have the money to find out.

well, if your using more power then you can make with money, your losing money by using that power. so its better off not to have a rig at all. which means, if you have solar panels, or a generator, you'd get more putting back the cost per watt back in the grid.