Possibly the worst Kickstarter product ever funded, the logbar ring

ahhming

After raising nearly one million dollars on Kickstarter, the LogBar ring is now being touted as having one of the “most disastrous product launches of all time” according to Snazzy Labs, which reviews products on YouTube. 

The product, a ring that acts as a wearable device that lets you control everything from your texts to your home appliances using hand gesture commands, doesn’t even work.

It promised the user that it would be the ultimate wearable, allowing them to control pretty much any device with in-air hand gestures – like a swipe of the finger to change channel on your TV for instance.

Most of this was pretty much nonsense, and what is included with the device mostly doesn’t work. They concluded that the gestures only work about 5-10% of the time and they’re largely pointless because you have to have the app open on your iOS or Android device for them to work. 

logbar%201.gif

A quick look at their Kickstarter  reveal comments like:

So who's in for a group lawsuit? This thing is a piece of crap and they won't even respond to requests for refunds. Or if you paid by Visa or Mastercard, just call up your financial institution and tell them what happened, they will reverse the charges.

Hermann Tan about 12 hours ago

I am a videographer and I travel frequently. Can anyone track where this bunch of idiots are? I would love to feature them trying to use the rings. And how effing stupid it looks to wear it. Not even saying using it. Not even gng to talk about the app.

Alan Wishart 4 days ago

Received ring for my partner, only 6 months late for birthday present. What a total waste of money. Like everyone else, the ring is much larger than the sizing and looks stupidly huge on a finger. About 1 time in 20 it's possible to get the gesture right, which for next track is just a single line! Even if it did work the promises of the ring did not come true as there are only a few gestures you can make the ring do! Where's the ability to text the alphabet that was promised in the initial video and all the other fun stuff! What a waste of money, time kickstarter become involved as it their name being tarnished too!

Source:

http://www.businessinsider.sg/logbar-ring-is-terrible-2014-12/#.VH7BSNI730c

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/logbar-ring-kickstarter-fail/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761670738/ring-shortcut-everything/comments

So its a paper weight buuut.... Not even heavy enough to be a paper weight

Haha! We have reached the point where lighter and lighter devices don't even make sense as a paperweight anymore!

Also I am going to take a guess that there has been worse kickstarters. Namely potato salad.

Haha! We have reached the point where lighter and lighter devices don't even make sense as a paperweight anymore!

Also I am going to take a guess that there has been worse kickstarters. Namely potato salad.

I dont think potato salad was worse, I mean yea it was kind of ridiculous, but it wasnt a scam. I guarantee the guy had no idea it would get so big and it was meant to be a joke

Hardware kickstarters is a real hit-and-miss.

On one hand, you have Oculus. One of the few successful hardware kickstarters.

On the other, you have stuff like this.

And I saw this one "Axent wear" or whatever, headphones with LEDs reaching something like 3 million dollars. I imagine those being a joke as well.

And I saw this one "Axent wear" or whatever, headphones with LEDs reaching something like 3 million dollars. I imagine those being a joke as well.

I thought the design was cute, but I'm a furry so of course I'm gonna like it. I bet they're horrible sounding just like Beats though so I'm not gonna waste my money on it. I got ATH-M50's anyway so meh.

As far as this ring goes I'm surprised it even got made.

I mean who expected this thing to work. We can't even make batteries small enough to fit into a ring, let alone all the sensors you need. That's why it's so huge. Apps being shit doesn't help.

You mean this bloody thing?https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axent-wear-cat-ear-headphones
How did this reach nearly 3 million?!?! For a $170 pair of headphones they better sound bloody good. Too bad they won't.
Who the hell will even wear them?

:(

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You mean this bloody thing?https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axent-wear-cat-ear-headphones

How did this reach nearly 3 million?!?! For a $170 pair of headphones they better sound bloody good. Too bad they won't.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I backed that stupid Axent Wear thing just so I can review it when it arrives (have done this we a few kickstarter things)

This ring I almost backed as well just to trash it once it arrived, but it was too expensive for the fun I thought I'd have with it...

Some stuff is just OBVIOUSLY not going to work.... But flashing crowdfunding campaign videos, man...

I backed that stupid Axent Wear thing just so I can review it when it arrives (have done this we a few kickstarter things)

This ring I almost backed as well just to trash it once it arrived, but it was too expensive for the fun I thought I'd have with it...

Some stuff is just OBVIOUSLY not going to work.... But flashing crowdfunding campaign videos, man...

Oh wow you replied. Was not expecting that.

Well, I look forward to your elaborate thrashing of the axent wear.

Maybe you should start a crowd fund to fund your purchase of the crowd funded ring. Crowd fund-ception :P

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Just for comparison:

I got this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B27G0AE?pc_redir=1414278495&robot_redir=1

for 30.- on sale from a local store, and it's essentially the same hardware (accelerometer, Bluetooth, even has a touch-sensor).

260.- Bucks for the additional metal enclosure (ring) and buggy ass software? Nope.

I thought the design was cute, but I'm a furry so of course I'm gonna like it. I bet they're horrible sounding just like Beats though so I'm not gonna waste my money on it. I got ATH-M50's anyway so meh.

As far as this ring goes I'm surprised it even got made.

One of my friends (also a furry) got it even though I told him I didn't think it was a good idea, and to get something better, but he wanted a red one so he got it. I was thinking of getting it in blue while it was still running but I decided against it because

- it was about $100 above ANYTHING I wanted to buy

- no idea about comfort/sound quality/durability/build quality/etc

- for that price you could get something pretty damn good (presumably, I didn't research headphones/headsets at all)

- didn't really need the ear speakers (again, no idea about quality/loudness of the sound that comes out of that)

though, the design is novel and cute, I'll give ya that.

Instead, I recently bought the 598s for $99 on amazon, and love them so far. Probably will attach the mod mic 4 to it (assuming I even can).

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Ohhhhh goody. Please tear this shit up.

If I were to ever give money to a Kickstarter I would consider it a donation, and give them a sum of money suitable to that. Donating 10 bucks to potentially see an interesting item in the hands of a reviewer I trust, to give me an idea if I might one day buy it, makes ALOT more sense then just giving 100's of dollars upfront to a "company" that started 2 months ago and has spent more on advertising than research & development. 

My question is; who would buy into something like this in the first place? Sorry, but I fail to see the practicality in it, even if it did work. JMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

One of my friends (also a furry) got it even though I told him I didn't think it was a good idea, and to get something better, but he wanted a red one so he got it. I was thinking of getting it in blue while it was still running but I decided against it because

- it was about $100 above ANYTHING I wanted to buy

- no idea about comfort/sound quality/durability/build quality/etc

- for that price you could get something pretty damn good (presumably, I didn't research headphones/headsets at all)

- didn't really need the ear speakers (again, no idea about quality/loudness of the sound that comes out of that)

though, the design is novel and cute, I'll give ya that.

Instead, I recently bought the 598s for $99 on amazon, and love them so far. Probably will attach the mod mic 4 to it (assuming I even can).

You got Sennheiser HD 598's for $99 on Amazon? Was that Amazon.com? Holy fuck! I nicked them up when they went onsale for $169 CAD on Amazon.ca, and THAT was a steal. Easily worth every penny. The HD 598's are kickass for their price, they look great, and they are seriously the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried.

I was thinking about getting a Mod Mic 4 for mine as well (You can easily attach them to the outer "grill" of the headphones), but I'm not sure. I don't want the extra cable clutter. It would be nice if Mod Mic (or someone else) released a replacement Sennheiser Cable that included a split-off 3.5mm input just below the headphones so you can plug a really short audio cable from the Mod Mic into the cable.

post-8505-0-02239200-1417621757.jpg

Basically it would replace the regular Sennheisier detachable cable with one that was basically a "Y-Split Adapter" on both ends, that still locked into the headphones but left a small dongle where you can plug the mod mic into.

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS AND I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

At least they didn't just bail and give the money to femfreq..... Better to just release a shitty product.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This keeps happening over and over. People fund something that doesn't work out but still get a product and demand money back. Treat it as a donation, not a preorder for some new hardware from a well established company. I don't feel bad for these people. They should of realized that this was an ambitious goal being attempted by a very small, very new company. The chance of success was very low.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I was thinking about getting a Mod Mic 4 for mine as well (You can easily attach them to the outer "grill" of the headphones), but I'm not sure. I don't want the extra cable clutter. It would be nice if Mod Mic (or someone else) released a replacement Sennheiser Cable that included a split-off 3.5mm input just below the headphones so you can plug a really short audio cable from the Mod Mic into the cable.

-snip-

Basically it would replace the regular Sennheisier detachable cable with one that was basically a "Y-Split Adapter" on both ends, that still locked into the headphones but left a small dongle where you can plug the mod mic into.

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS AND I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU!

If you are feeling adventurous enough, you can make an internal modification to the headphones. Basically, you can install a dedicated microphone socket into the left/right driver, and you connect the circuitry together before it leaves the speakers. An then you can simply replace the detachable cable from a two-contact wire to a three-contact version.

As an indie mod, this can take some effort to get it to function properly, without messing up. In the industrial setting though, this will take next to no time to implement.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Looking forward to cat-eared Linus gifs

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

How did this beat out the Potato Salad campaign? :huh:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Its a shame in my opinion, to see such a wonderful concept fall short and useless, this ruins the concept for potentially better products, like how Google Glass scared off the wearable glass market. Pebble was a success and so smart watches took off, look at nintendo vr, the failure that it was, and how long we had to wait for the technology and the people brave enough to give it a real shot. Hopefully something like this will come back around in real ring size in 5 years with actual use at a reasonable price. (100$ would be perfect)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

damn, time to make a startup company at kickstarter where I do absolutely nothing.  The more money you contribute, the harder i work to do absolute nothing!  It's a guarantee!!!!

Go fund yourself!!

You got Sennheiser HD 598's for $99 on Amazon? Was that Amazon.com? Holy fuck! I nicked them up when they went onsale for $169 CAD on Amazon.ca, and THAT was a steal. Easily worth every penny. The HD 598's are kickass for their price, they look great, and they are seriously the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried.

GOEtqr0.png

Yeah I did. I was searching /r/buildapcsales/new and found them. You can find remnants of the excitement by searching for 598. The one I got seems to be the real actual thing, not some crappy ripoff like some were concerned about.

As for the color, that's the only thing that I was sorta hesitant on. If it was tastefully black with white accents, then that'd be awesome. It's like I'm wearing a noctua fan.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

GOEtqr0.png

Yeah I did. I was searching /r/buildapcsales/new and found them. You can find remnants of the excitement by searching for 598. The one I got seems to be the real actual thing, not some crappy ripoff like some were concerned about.

As for the color, that's the only thing that I was sorta hesitant on. If it was tastefully black with white accents, then that'd be awesome. It's like I'm wearing a noctua fan.

To be honest, in my opinion, the HD 598 looks fantastic. It actually doesn't look like a Noctua fan at all in person. The colour scheme is muted and quite tasteful. But obviously with such a non-traditional colour scheme, it's of course going to be up to personal preference.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)