Game developer's $40,892 Kickstarter project goes unfinished, donates remaining funding to Feminist Frequency, changes name.

Mattk50

That's great. I had no idea there was a legal obligation on her.

Well, "legal" obligation depends on how you look at it. The contractual agreement between the various parties is enforceable in court. BUT, someone does have to take her to court to enforce it.

If everyone just says "Oh no, my money is gone" and does nothing, then she will basically get away with it. Kickstarter also seems to have a fairly "hands off" policy towards these things. Mostly because by taking her to court, they aren't likely to get much out of it. It will probably cost them more in lawyer fees and wasted time then they would gain back. So it's pretty much up to the backers to do anything about it, legally speaking.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

And that is why I don't back kickstarter projects unless they are created by established individuals.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I have no idea what is goings-on who stolen money

TL;DR

1. A man started a kickstarter project for some guitar pickups or something.

2. The kickstarter is successfully funded for DOUBLE the goal.

3. There are updates throughout, saying how the project is going fine.

4. The man goes through some personal discoveries, and determines that he is in fact a woman (Called "Male to Female" (MTF) Transgender). This is a real issue that many people face, and should not be understated.

5. The woman somehow ends up in dire financial straits, and is heavily indebted to the IRS.

6. She then donates her entire backings to a "charity" called "Feminist Frequency", which is ran by Anita Sarkeesian.

Anita is a very controversial figure, largely responsible for the anti GamerGate bandwagon.

People are mad because:

1. The project was successfully funded (and earned double the goal)

2. She took that money, and donated it without the backers permission to something entirely unrelated to the Kickstarter

The problem is that she could have used that money to either:

1. Complete the Kickstarter, or if for some reason she was unable to do so:

2. Refund the backers, or

3. Pay off the IRS

But instead, she chose:

4. Fuck her backers, fuck her debts to the IRS, Anita Sarkeesian needs some money.

Regardless of whether you like or dislike Anita, or agree or disagree with her personal views on feminism and/or gaming, this was MORALLY WRONG TO DO.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So instead of working on a project that might help her financial situation, she donates it, essentially taking people's money.

That's messed up. I hope everyone can get their money back.

On a side note, I've never understood the whole GamerGate thing. I get that women are harassed online, but so are guys. I also think that they are over-sexualized in games- but apparently, burly guys with biceps the size of a large tree trunk are fine.

FYI: GamerGate was originally (and still is) a consumer-revolt that wants more transparency in games-related media. But like many trending movements (like Occupy or Atheism), (Neo)Feminists tried to jump onto the wagon and use it's popularity for their agenda (simply put).

That's why many people (still) associate GG with the whole Feminist-Thing, despite the fact that it originally had nothing to do with the subject of GG.

To topic:

Kickstarter is always a minefield and a lot of projects (even the good ones) end up unfinished, because the people behind them often don't have the necessary experience. People should learn, that "investing" in KS is highly risky and that the chances of 0 success is very likely. They do now, slowly, due to the ever increasing failure-rate.

This one is not largely different, only that the dubious (?) founder not only failed to deliver, but She did so by donating those funds to a fairly controversial cause (to put it mildly).

TL;DR

Another failed Kickstarter, what a suprise. Money went to Feminist Frequency? Commence the Shitstorm!