Is my power supply enough for this?

Go to solution Solved by Excon,

What do you mean by it will still work? What's the benefit of getting a bigger power supply when exactly 430w is just about all I need? Is it going to blow up or something? Lol

Well if you overload the power supply it will automatically shutdown. Its not a bad thing if this happens. Just means you need a bigger PSU. The 280x has a 250w TDP, i3 is 80w, fans drives and everything else is 40w tops. So realistically you will be fine

I am planning on getting an AMD R9 280x soon, to replace my current Radeon 7770 Ghost card. I currently have a 430 watt PSU installed, and am wondering if it would be necessary for me to also upgrade my PSU to be able to handle the GPU (maybe get a 600w)

My specs along with the new GPU will be:

Intel core i3

R9 280x

8GB Ram

1tb HD, 500gb HD, 128gb SSD

ASUS mini ITX motherboard

2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans

Plus many peripherals like keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, etc.

Will my 430w supply be able to handle that?

Yep, grab at least a 600, but I'd go with a bigger upgrade personally. It's up to you, but you need to get a bigger PSU.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You're cutting it real close. It'll come very close to the 430W, and people usually like a buffer. You might be able to get away with it if and only if your PSU is underrated and not some overrated gutless wonder.

You're cutting it real close. It'll come very close to the 430W, and people usually like a buffer. You might be able to get away with it if and only if your PSU is underrated and not some overrated gutless wonder.

If its a CX430 then hes safe because its under rated

It will be fine, Not ideal but will still work

What do you mean by it will still work? What's the benefit of getting a bigger power supply when exactly 430w is just about all I need? Is it going to blow up or something? Lol

Well if you overload the power supply it will automatically shutdown. Its not a bad thing if this happens. Just means you need a bigger PSU. The 280x has a 250w TDP, i3 is 80w, fans drives and everything else is 40w tops. So realistically you will be fine