Free and/or Open-source Alternatives to many Common Programs

I'd imagine that would be the case for Steam games that overlap, or launching the Steam client through Playonlinux; is that what you mean? Or is it either the native Steam client or the Playonlinux client, not both at once?

POL does have an amazing selection of GOG.com games. All/most of those are DRM-free too, so that makes it easier.

Playonlinux launches the normal windows steam, not any sort of client for it : P

I just use it as a Wine UI with scripts for the apps that need it and a nice clean layout for keeping your emulated programs organized.

It'll launch pretty much everything non-dx11 you find in steam if you let the steam it opened install it inside the virtual drive it gets.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Playonlinux launches the normal windows steam, not any sort of client for it : P

I just use it as a Wine UI with scripts for the apps that need it and a nice clean layout for keeping your emulated programs organized.

It'll launch pretty much everything non-dx11 you find in steam if you let the steam it opened install it inside the virtual drive it gets.

I meant the Playonlinux GUI itself; I know it launches the same Steam client on Windows. I'm assuming it's possible to have Steam-Linux and the Playonlinux GUI both open at once, but without launching the Steam windows client through POL. Sorry for the confusion. 

I do like POL's directory structure; it keeps it very well organized and isolated from each other.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Awesome thread! I absolutely love Blender, fantastic, small and powerful albeit confusing and slightly complicated for me. I recommend people to use Open Office say if they are not really willing to spend cash to buy MS Office and are not heavily dependent on it. Notepad++ is excellent, best ever according to me. Simple and clean to use. 

General

This section contains mostly things that don't fall into the above categories, generally free. Some of them are cross-platform. Some of the summaries below may not be very accurate, so correct me if I'm mistaken. I've only used a couple of them in the past.

1) PDFCreator - print to PDF, among other features. There are also other free program that allows for converting any file format to PDF (will look it up and edit)

2) 7-zip - Everyone should have this, everyone should love it. Much better features compared to winzip and works with many different compression formats.

3) NotePad++ - improved Notepad, syntax highlighting, great for programmers. Open-source, so can be compiled on Linux. Has a lovely FTPsync plugin that does exactly what it says.

4) Programmer's Notepad - similar to Notepad++

5) KeePass2 - encrypts and stores all of your passwords.

6) Xming - view/run X (Unix/Linux) based programs on Windows.

7) Cygwin/MinGW - Linux environment on Windows, can be used to compile programs from source on Windows. More involved, so usually ideal only for the tech savvy. Nice to have though, for people who want to tinker.

8) PuTTY - Simple SSH Client. Good for managing servers via command line.

9) Filezilla FTP - One of the best free FTP clients. Believe it also has SSH built in, but never used it.

10) Ghostscript/Ghostview - viewer/interpreter for Postscript, a programming language for creating vector graphics.

You can also add TrueCrypt for Encryption. Best free Encryption software available right now, gives TONS of options and has some very advanced features also is really powerful and also supports on-the-fly encryption as well. One of the most powerful encryption software available for free.  

I have done networking and PuTTY is pretty darn good.

Also if anyone is interested in Networking or want to practice it, they could use Packet Tracer from CISCO for reviewing or practicing your networking skills, it's not open source but it's free. Thought I ought to add that.

Don't forget that Blender has a pretty good video editor built in. It may not be on par with something like lightworks, but it works well. And I think there are plans to overhaul it in the coming months (Maybe not until Blender 2.7x).

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Don't forget that Blender has a pretty good video editor built in. It may not be on par with something like lightworks, but it works well. And I think there are plans to overhaul it in the coming months (Maybe not until Blender 2.7x).

Of course, forgot about that. I should also include Blender as a game engine, as it has one built in. Pretty basic, but capable. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Thanks for the suggestions guys! 

Think I'm going to expand it to include CAD programs too. I primarily use Solidworks for all of my CAD work, and came across an interesting free CAD program that I want to try out. Of course, for users into some serious CAD and Simulation work, there's always CAE-linux which comes pre-packaged with everything you could possibly want. 

• 3 months later...

You should add Clementine to your list of open source music players.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Email clients:

Thunderbird 

Mutt - terminal client

Also chat platform add weechat next to irssi, they are very similar, weechat is a bit easier to set up for new users.

cmus - terminal music player, simple

terminal text editors (most come on linux by default)

vi/vim

nano

emacs

Maybe have a linux terminal section that has all of these?

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Plex is basically the only media sever/streaming solution I'll use now. Completely free with a few other bits of useful content in the paid version.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Maybe have a linux terminal section that has all of these?

Done! There's probably more terminal-based programs (rtorrents is one, maybe I should open up a torrent clients section).

Topic updated with links and couple of other sections. CAD/CAM/CAE was something I meant to add a while back. 

No, no, no ,no ,no, no, no ,no ,no, no, no, no, ..... no, no, NO.

Gimp will never be a proper equivalent to Photoshop..ever..not even close. There are things Gimp does that is neat, but it's no replacement for CS6. At the same time, CS6 doesn't remotely deserve it's high price tag, either. Especially if you do artwork. Lineart in Photoshop is trash tier vs line art in the 50 dollar Japanese program known as Paint Tool Sai.

This is just me not really liking Gimp from experience. I actually think the OP list is brilliant! Some of these I've been using for years. ;)

You forgot Winamp

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You forgot Winamp

I prefer Foobar2000 myself..not sure if either are available for Linux, though. I know Foobar2000 isn't. :ph34r:

You forgot Winamp

You got the name wrong, its bloat-amp or toolbar-amp. It has as many holes as swiss cheese after its been shot with a shotgun at point blank.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Just gonna mention sumatraPDF and the KMPlayer before the onslaught of people that follow linus on twitter/facebook suggests all the good stuff^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Liberoffice instead of Microsoft office, Jitsi and SIP instead of Skype..

Gimp is too complicated for me, so I use paint more lol...

And this is pretty obvious, but I'll put it here anyway, Firefox instead IE.. Lol

You should mention in your intro section that although these are free alternatives they are not replacements, you will not have all the options that the paid applications have. For example GIMP is in no way, form or shape close to the feature set of Photoshop CS6 (or even worse CC). But will be enough if you don't use all those extra settings.

Maybe you can add development tools?

Visual Studio Express is free, and considering the price of VS people should really look into it (windows only).

Eclipse is open-source (works both on linux, mac and windows).

Code::Blocks again open-source (works both on linux, mac and windows).

Most developers probably already know these, but this thread is very useful for those who are just starting out.

You should mention in your intro section that although these are free alternatives they are not replacements, you will not have all the options that the paid applications have. For example GIMP is in no way, form or shape close to the feature set of Photoshop CS6 (or even worse CC). But will be enough if you don't use all those extra settings.

Maybe you can add development tools?

Visual Studio Express is free, and considering the price of VS people should really look into it (windows only).

Eclipse is open-source (works both on linux, mac and windows).

Code::Blocks again open-source (works both on linux, mac and windows).

Most developers probably already know these, but this thread is very useful for those who are just starting out.

Fair point. I do realize that not all of the features exist, as brought up by @Mooshi regarding GIMP. Photoshop CS6 is certainly in a league of its own. The essential features that people use commonly though, exist in most of the alternatives in some form. 

Thanks for the input guys! I will update the OP with suggestions asap.