Help me troubleshoot my 1st C projekt :)

gurraglaa
Go to solution Solved by Mojo-Jojo,

@ Thanks to you and a short Lynda lesson about pointers, the program now works! All that is left is to add the rest of the game (pairs, 2 pairs, yatzy etc...)!

Feel free to come with criticism on the code and suggest changes that would make it "nicer" code.

-code snip-

Great to hear :)

Now that you've applied these changes, your code looks a lot better and is much easier to read. Looking good  :D

Hi!

I have just started to learn programming in C. I'm using Code Blocks and gcc compiler (std C99).

Just for exercise I have started to make a Yatzy game running in Windows cmd and I have hit a problem that i cant seam to fix. Can you please help me? :)

I have narrowed it down a bit and it seams that the problem lies in the function printfield(). It doesn't save the score of the players correct.

If, say for example player one gets 3 ones. Then he should get 3x1 point in the appropriate location of course, but instead I get something like this:

Players:        P1
Ones            2686584
Twos            2686692
Threes          2686696
Fours           2686700
Fives            0
Sixes            0
------------------
Sum:            10746672

pic:
o40An2Z.jpg

This is how it should look:

Players:        P1
Ones            3
Twos            0
Threes         0
Fours           0
Fives            0
Sixes            0
------------------
Sum:            3

Here is the code:

#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <time.h>int players;char *numbers[6] = {"Ones","Twos","Threes","Fours","Fives","Sixes"};void printfield(int field[6][players]);int main(){    int run = 1;    int dize[5];    int keep[5];    int temp;    srand(time(0));/*Program starts and the number of players are selected*/    printf("Hi and welcome to Yatzy a la Glaa:D. How many players want to play?\n");    scanf("%d", &players);    while(run == 1)    {       if (players<5 && players>0)       {        run = 0;       }       else       {        system("cls");        printf("The number of players needs to be between 1 and 4. So I'll ask again, how many?\n");        scanf("%d", &players);       }    }//Asks the player what dize he wants to save/* Creates the play field*/    int field[6][players];    for (int i=0;i<6;i++)//Fills the play field with zeros    {        for (int j=0;j<players;j++)        {            field[i][j] = 0;        }    }    printfield(field);    run = 1;/*Game starts*/    while (run == 1)    {        for (int i=0;i<6;i++)//Runs 6 times for the 6 different dize        {            if (i>0) Sleep(2000);            for (int j=0;j<players;j++)//Runs as many times as there are players            {                printfield(field);                printf("This round you want to collect as many %s as possible\n", numbers[i]);                Sleep(1000);                printf("Player %d, it is your turn.\n", j+1);                Sleep(1000);                for (int asd=0;asd<5;asd++)//Puts the dize to reroll                {                    keep[asd] = 0;                }                for (int k=0;k<3;k++)//Runs three times, ones per time you roll the dize                {                    printf("Your dice: ");                    for (int l=0;l<5;l++)//Runs 5 times, one per dize                    {                        if (keep[l]==0)//Rolls the dize if it is not to be saved                        {                            dize[l] = rand()%6+1;                        }                        printf("%d ", dize[l]);//Prints the dize                    }                    printf("\n");                    Sleep(1000);                    if (k<2)//Asks the player what dize he wants to save                    {                        printf("What dizes do you want to keep? Type 1 for save and 0 for reroll (Type:'1 0 0 1 0' if you want to save dize 1 and 4 for example)\n");                        scanf("%d %d %d %d %d", &keep[0], &keep[1], &keep[2], &keep[3], &keep[4]);                    }                }                temp = 0;                for (int a=0;a<5;a++)//Checks how many of the desired dize there is                {                 if (dize[a]==(i+1))                 {                     //field[i][j] = field[i][j] + dize[a];//calculates the players point                     temp = temp + (i + 1);                 }                 //printf("Points: %d", temp);                }                //printf("Points: %d", temp);                field[i][j] = temp;                //printf("Points: %d", field[i][j]);                //Sleep(5000);                printf("%d",field[i][j]);            }        }    }    return 0;}void printfield(int field[6][players]){    system("cls"); //clears the cmd window of any text    printf("Players:\t");    for (int i=1;i<=players;i++) //The players are printed    {        printf("P%d\t",i);    }    printf("\n");    for (int i=0;i<6;i++) //The dize and the players points/dize are printed    {        printf("%s\t\t",numbers[i]);        for (int j=0;j<players;j++)        {            printf("%2d\t",field[i][j]);        }        printf("\n");    }    int sum[players];    for (int i=0;i<players;i++)    {        sum[i] = 0;//sets the sum to zero    }    for (int i=0;i<players;i++)//Calculates the sum of all the players    {        for (int j=0;j<6;j++)        {            sum[i] = sum[i]+field[j][i];        }    }    if (players==1){//Prints a line based on the number of players        printf("------------------\n");    }else if(players==2){        printf("--------------------------\n");    }else if(players==3){        printf("----------------------------------\n");    }else if(players==4){        printf("------------------------------------------\n");    }    printf("Sum:\t\t");//Prints the players sums    for (int i=0;i<players;i++)    {        printf("%2d\t", sum[i]);    }    printf("\n");}

Thanks in advance!

// gurraglaa

Chassi: FD R4 window CPU: 3570k @4.5GHz GPU: ASUS 970 Strix @ 1450/7000 MHz PSU: FD Integra 500w

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 2x4 Corsair Vengence 1600MHz SSDs: 2x Kingston 120GB RAID 0 (OS), Samsung 840 120GB (Steam) CPU fan: Noctua U12P Case fans: 3x140mm FD R2

I tried to debug it but I cannot find any problems, but I did need to rewrite parts to not use variable length arrays, so your problem may be there. Can you try running this version of the code.\

#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <time.h>int players;char *numbers[6] = { "Ones", "Twos", "Threes", "Fours", "Fives", "Sixes" };void printfield(int *field[6]);int main() {	int run = 1;	int dize[5];	int keep[5];	int temp;	srand(time(0));	/*Program starts and the number of players are selected*/	printf("Hi and welcome to Yatzy a la Glaa:D. How many players want to play?\n");	scanf("%d", &players);	while (run == 1) {		if (players<5 && players>0) {			run = 0;		} else {			system("cls");			printf("The number of players needs to be between 1 and 4. So I'll ask again, how many?\n");			scanf("%d", &players);		}	}//Asks the player what dize he wants to save	/* Creates the play field*/	int *field[6];	for (int i = 0; i<6; i++)//Fills the play field with zeros	{		field[i] = malloc(sizeof(int) * players);		for (int j = 0; j<players; j++) {			field[i][j] = 0;		}	}	printfield(field);	run = 1;	/*Game starts*/	while (run == 1) {		for (int i = 0; i<6; i++)//Runs 6 times for the 6 different dize		{			if (i>0) Sleep(2000);			for (int j = 0; j<players; j++)//Runs as many times as there are players			{				printfield(field);				printf("This round you want to collect as many %s as possible\n", numbers[i]);				Sleep(1000);				printf("Player %d, it is your turn.\n", j + 1);				Sleep(1000);				for (int asd = 0; asd<5; asd++)//Puts the dize to reroll				{					keep[asd] = 0;				}				for (int k = 0; k<3; k++)//Runs three times, ones per time you roll the dize				{					printf("Your dice: ");					for (int l = 0; l<5; l++)//Runs 5 times, one per dize					{						if (keep[l] == 0)//Rolls the dize if it is not to be saved						{							dize[l] = rand() % 6 + 1;						}						printf("%d ", dize[l]);//Prints the dize					}					printf("\n");					Sleep(1000);					if (k<2)//Asks the player what dize he wants to save					{						printf("What dizes do you want to keep? Type 1 for save and 0 for reroll (Type:'1 0 0 1 0' if you want to save dize 1 and 4 for example)\n");						scanf("%d %d %d %d %d", &keep[0], &keep[1], &keep[2], &keep[3], &keep[4]);					}				}				temp = 0;				for (int a = 0; a<5; a++)//Checks how many of the desired dize there is				{					if (dize[a] == (i + 1)) {						//field[i][j] = field[i][j] + dize[a];//calculates the players point						temp = temp + (i + 1);					}					//printf("Points: %d", temp);				}				//printf("Points: %d", temp);				field[i][j] = temp;				//printf("Points: %d", field[i][j]);				//Sleep(5000);				printf("%d", field[i][j]);			}		}	}	return 0;}void printfield(int *field[6]) {	system("cls"); //clears the cmd window of any text	printf("Players:\t");	for (int i = 1; i <= players; i++) //The players are printed	{		printf("P%d\t", i);	}	printf("\n");	for (int i = 0; i<6; i++) //The dize and the players points/dize are printed	{		printf("%s\t\t", numbers[i]);		for (int j = 0; j<players; j++) {			printf("%2d\t", field[i][j]);		}		printf("\n");	}	int *sum = malloc(sizeof(int) * players);	for (int i = 0; i<players; i++) {		sum[i] = 0;//sets the sum to zero	}	for (int i = 0; i<players; i++)//Calculates the sum of all the players	{		for (int j = 0; j<6; j++) {			sum[i] = sum[i] + field[j][i];		}	}	if (players == 1) {//Prints a line based on the number of players		printf("------------------\n");	} else if (players == 2) {		printf("--------------------------\n");	} else if (players == 3) {		printf("----------------------------------\n");	} else if (players == 4) {		printf("------------------------------------------\n");	}	printf("Sum:\t\t");//Prints the players sums	for (int i = 0; i<players; i++) {		printf("%2d\t", sum[i]);	}	printf("\n");}

I tried to debug it but I cannot find any problems, but I did need to rewrite parts to not use variable length arrays, so your problem may be there. Can you try running this version of the code.\

/* Creates the play field*/  int *field[6];    for (int i = 0; i<6; i++)//Fills the play field with zeros    {        field[i] = malloc(sizeof(int) * players);        for (int j = 0; j<players; j++) {            field[i][j] = 0;        }    }    printfield(field);

I can't seam to get your code to work at all. It gets stuck at the first dize roll. i will take a closer look tomorrow and see if i can fix it. In the meantime, could you please explain how the code above works? I am not that familiar with pointers. In my mind, that code creates a 1 dim array.

Chassi: FD R4 window CPU: 3570k @4.5GHz GPU: ASUS 970 Strix @ 1450/7000 MHz PSU: FD Integra 500w

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 2x4 Corsair Vengence 1600MHz SSDs: 2x Kingston 120GB RAID 0 (OS), Samsung 840 120GB (Steam) CPU fan: Noctua U12P Case fans: 3x140mm FD R2

@gurraglaa There are multiple problems with your code. I'll be listing them here.

This is to give you some pointers in the right direction. I may seem harsh, but that doesn't mean I think you're doing a bad job - I simply want to help  :)

• You haven't #include'd the header for Sleep(). You're implicitly linking the "sleep" functionality. Solve by adding this bit of code at the top:
    • #ifdef _WIN32    #include <Windows.h>#else    #include <unistd.h>#endif
  • There is no input validation for your Inputs
  • Creating an array with a dimension size determined by an integer on runtime is not endorsed practice. Especially without proper input validation.
  • Some of your variables have improper names. I see "asd" and "field" for example. It's good practice to always show what type your variable is. For example
    • char cChoice;int iResult;char * acUsername;int aiIndexes[10];

Those are just some starting points.

By the way, really, see my first point about Sleep(). I think you'll find your issues resolved.  ;) 

Always sort out any compiler warnings you get ASAP! They cause undefined and strange behaviour.

@gurraglaa Hey there! Just checking up, did you manage to get the project working with the help above? I'd be happy to help if not.

Hi! I Have not had the time to sit down and code yet. Have too much to do in school. But I think I will take a look tonight.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help. Will make a post when I'm done/when I get stuck again.

@ Thanks to you and a short Lynda lesson about pointers, the program now works! All that is left is to add the rest of the game (pairs, 2 pairs, yatzy etc...)!

Feel free to come with criticism on the code and suggest changes that would make it "nicer" code.

#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <time.h>#ifdef _WIN32    #include <Windows.h>#else    #include <unistd.h>#endifint iPlayers;char *asNumbers[6] = {"Ones","Twos","Threes","Fours","Fives","Sixes"};void printfield(int *aiField[6], int *aiSum);int main(){    int iRun = 1;    int aiDice[5];    int aiKeep[5];    int iTemp;    srand(time(0));/*Program starts and the number of players are selected*/    printf("Hi and welcome to Yatzy a la Glaa:D. How many players want to play?\n");    scanf("%d", &iPlayers);    while(iRun == 1)    {       if (iPlayers<5 && iPlayers>0)       {        iRun = 0;       }       else       {        system("cls");        printf("The number of players needs to be between 1 and 4. So I'll ask again, how many?\n");        scanf("%d", &iPlayers);       }    }/*Declares some necessary arrays*/    int *aiField[6];	int *aiSum = malloc(sizeof(int) * iPlayers);    iRun = 1;/*Game starts*/    while (iRun == 1)    {        /* Creates the play field*/        int *aiField[6];        for (int i = 0; i<6; i++)//Fills the play field with zeros        {            aiField[i] = malloc(sizeof(int) * iPlayers);            for (int j = 0; j<iPlayers; j++) {                aiField[i][j] = 0;            }        }        for (int i=0;i<6;i++)//Runs 6 times for the 6 different Dice        {            if (i>0) Sleep(2000);            for (int j=0;j<iPlayers;j++)//Runs as many times as there are players            {                printfield(aiField, aiSum);                printf("This round you want to collect as many %s as possible\n", asNumbers[i]);                Sleep(1000);                printf("Player %d, it is your turn.\n", j+1);                Sleep(1000);                for (int asd=0;asd<5;asd++)//Puts the Dice to reroll                {                    aiKeep[asd] = 0;                }                for (int k=0;k<3;k++)//Runs three times, ones per time you roll the Dice                {                    printf("Your dice: ");                    for (int l=0;l<5;l++)//Runs 5 times, one per Dice                    {                        if (aiKeep[l]==0)//Rolls the Dice if it is not to be saved                        {                            aiDice[l] = rand()%6+1;                        }                        printf("%d ", aiDice[l]);//Prints the Dice                    }                    printf("\n");                    Sleep(1000);                    if (k<2)//Asks the player what Dice he wants to save                    {                        printf("What Dice do you want to keep?");                        if (i = 0)                        {                            printf("Type 1 to save and 0 to reroll (Ex: '1 0 0 1 0' saves Dice 1 and 4)\n");                        } else                        {                            printf("\n");                        }                        scanf("%d %d %d %d %d", &aiKeep[0], &aiKeep[1], &aiKeep[2], &aiKeep[3], &aiKeep[4]);                    }                }                iTemp = 0;                for (int a=0;a<5;a++)//Checks how many of the desired Dice there is                {                 if (aiDice[a]==(i+1))                 {                     iTemp = iTemp + (i + 1);                 }                }                aiField[i][j] = iTemp;                //printf("%d",aiField[i][j]);            }        }/*Checks who is the winner*/        system("cls");        printfield(aiField, aiSum); //prints the final play field        int *aiResults[2];        for (int i=0;i<2;i++)//Creates an array to store the results in and calculate who the winner is        {            aiResults[i] = malloc(sizeof(iPlayers) / sizeof(int));        }        for (int i=0;i<iPlayers;i++)//Fills the array with the results        {                aiResults[0][i] = (i+1);                aiResults[1][i] = aiSum[i];        }        int c, d, t;        for (c = 0 ; c < ( iPlayers - 1 ); c++)//Sorting the results        {            for (d = 0 ; d < iPlayers - c - 1; d++)            {                if (aiResults[1][d] < aiResults[1][d+1])                {                /* Swapping */                    t = aiResults[1][d];                    aiResults[1][d]   = aiResults[1][d+1];                    aiResults[1][d+1] = t;                    t = aiResults[0][d];                    aiResults[0][d]   = aiResults[0][d+1];                    aiResults[0][d+1] = t;                }            }        }/*Displaying the results and asks if the player(s) want to play again*/        printf("The results:\n");        for (int i=0;i<iPlayers;i++)        {            printf("%d place: Player %d with %d points\n", (i+1), aiResults[0][i], aiResults[1][i]);        }        printf("\n");        printf("Would you like to play again? 1=YES, 0=NO\n");        scanf("%d", &iRun);    }    return 0;}void printfield(int *aiField[6], int *aiSum){    system("cls"); //clears the cmd window of any text    printf("Players:\t");    for (int i=1;i<=iPlayers;i++) //The players are printed    {        printf("P%d\t",i);    }    printf("\n");    for (int i=0;i<6;i++) //The Dice and the players points/Dice are printed    {        printf("%s\t\t",asNumbers[i]);        for (int j=0;j<iPlayers;j++)        {            printf("%2d\t",aiField[i][j]);        }        printf("\n");    }    for (int i=0;i<iPlayers;i++)    {        aiSum[i] = 0;//sets the Sum to zero    }    for (int i=0;i<iPlayers;i++)//Calculates the sum of all the players    {        for (int j=0;j<6;j++)        {            aiSum[i] = aiSum[i]+aiField[j][i];        }    }    if (iPlayers==1){//Prints a line based on the number of players        printf("------------------\n");    }else if(iPlayers==2){        printf("--------------------------\n");    }else if(iPlayers==3){        printf("----------------------------------\n");    }else if(iPlayers==4){        printf("------------------------------------------\n");    }    printf("aiSum:\t\t");//Prints the players sums    for (int i=0;i<iPlayers;i++)    {        printf("%2d\t", aiSum[i]);    }    printf("\n");} 

-code snip-

Great to hear :)

Now that you've applied these changes, your code looks a lot better and is much easier to read. Looking good  :D