780Ti Is Still A Beast

armycombatvet7

Let's get some GTX 980 Unigine videos going guys. I'm pretty skeptical about getting the newer 900 series cards since they're gonna come out with new cards in a year anyways that will be much better. I haven't seen much of a difference between the 980 and the 780. 

Maxwell isn't about giving power, it is about saving power. So yes from a performance stand point, maxwell is the same as kepler. 

they are essentially the same performance wise its kinda why nvidia even says these are the successors to the 600 series cards

funny this topic comes up. I just got into a long argument with an idiot on youtube about how there really is no difference once they are overclocked, he wanted to say it's a big difference and that the 980 blows the 780ti away and even the 970 is faster in most games. lol The 970 isn't even faster than a 780 in basically all games when the cards are overclocked. Sounded like someone who moved from a 780/780ti to a 980 and is desperately trying to convince themselves it was a good idea.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Dragons are a beast. Didn't expect that did you?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

When, in the course of human history, has anyone intelligent enough to be worth listening to EVER even hinted at the idea that the 780Ti was not a beast?

...you do know that the GK110 is a part designed for use in supercomputers, right?

I think you're taking the 900 series of cards a bit too much as an affront to the previous generation. Nvidia isn't using these cards to directly compete against the 700 series, that's absolutely absurd. Why would a company make products to compete against it's products? This isn't a 1980's Apple Computers infight where the Macintosh people and the Lisa people were beating on each other in a bar. The 900 series is a stepping stone. Nvidia is focusing on power consumption, which is excellent, instead of cranking the res and the settings, because they already did that with the 780Ti. Nvidia never intended for the 900 series to annihilate the 700 series. if they really had wanted it to, they would have made it do that. Good grief! No-one complained this much when Tonga came out for the Radeon cards, even though those were released on the exact same basic principle as the 900 series!

Ohhh, joyous evening, I can hear those scissors -snip- -snip- -snip- ping away.

No the 780TI is crap, you need to buy a 980!

Because that's what this post is all about right? You trying to assert yourself, convincing yourself and others the 780TI is still king (because you own it).

I could be extremely cynical at this point, but that's how I interpret these types of threads.

Because that's what this post is all about right? You trying to assert yourself, convincing yourself and others the 780TI is still king (because you own it).

I could be extremely cynical at this point, but that's how I interpret these types of threads.

I own the 980 as well my dear ;) I still prefer the 780Ti over the 980. 

Look at what Nvidia did with the memory interface. The 780Ti can still run faster with a 384-bit bus speed not to mention with the Boost my card can achieve the same clocks as the 980 can. Bad bad Nvidia. Maybe if they went with a bigger bus speed and more cuda cores I would buy their GTX X series or something. But they want to cheap out on us then thats up to them.

And I am just sitting here with my bottlenecked hd 5670.

From my point of view as someone with no money, a second hand GTX 780 ti is a far better choice because people that upgraded to a 980 are selling their old 780 ti to help pay for the upgrade. 

If you have an itx system with not great cooling, you could want a 980 because it runs cooler and consumes less power.

As linus has said, you are better to spend a little more and get 2 970s and run them in sli.

The thing i like about 970s is the fact that I can run my one off the same generic thermaltake 500W PSU that my 650 ti was running off, unlike the 780 which requires more power for the same performance.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

my only problem with Nvidia is the 4 monitor support. Personally I am using 3 now, there will be a 4th coming, and a 5th TV might come ( to watch videos)

I would sacrifice one of the DVI for 2 HDMI/DP port

You got a gtx 780ti and a 980 and you game on a 1080p screen. 1080p benchmark, really? 

I was gonna post but my scores until I saw that low resolution. 

funny this topic comes up. I just got into a long argument with an idiot on youtube about how there really is no difference once they are overclocked, he wanted to say it's a big difference and that the 980 blows the 780ti away and even the 970 is faster in most games. lol The 970 isn't even faster than a 780 in basically all games when the cards are overclocked. Sounded like someone who moved from a 780/780ti to a 980 and is desperately trying to convince themselves it was a good idea.

Currently that might be true but with MFAA that story might change a little.

If I had 780Ti I wouldn't actually bother with upgrading at all but for new specs it's safe to go with 980. You can't rule out the fact that it has more vram, low power consumption and new features like MFAA.

But I have to add, none of the current 980 models interest me at all. If we see 980 Kingpin or 980 Matrix Platinum only then I would consider buying one.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Currently that might be true but with MFAA that story might change a little.

If I had 780Ti I wouldn't actually bother with upgrading at all but for new specs it's safe to go with 980. You can't rule out the fact that it has more vram, low power consumption and new features like MFAA.

But I have to add, none of the current 980 models interest me at all. If we see 980 Kingpin or 980 Matrix Platinum only then I would consider buying one.

Did you see pcper's review fo MFAA? it's disappointing to say the least. It's not actually like running 4xmsaa with 2x hit like they said. If you use 2xmsaa it like it becomes variable AA giving you anywhere between 2.5-3.5 msaa and the performance hit is a little worse than 2 but seemingly because it's more approximations it's not as bad as of a performance hit. They way it's also being implemented means nvidia has to constantly be keeping on top of their drivers to make it work in newer games because it's a white list for selected games. They seem to think nvidia will give up on it eventually. I think I agree. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

When, in the course of human history, has anyone intelligent enough to be worth listening to EVER even hinted at the idea that the 780Ti was not a beast?

The idiot on youtube I fought with lol

I own one but I've got to admit, it can't stay as the king of GPUs for so long. I got it because it was the only GPU that I first saw and purchased from a company that I first saw shooting their own foot, eating their then-flagship card at a significantly cheaper price. 

I know my 780ti is still a beast!

check out my unigine valley score file:///C:/Users/samuel/Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20141122_1319.html

1zdvu3c.jpg

1250mhz oc 

7.6ghz on the ram reference zotac card.

Did you see pcper's review fo MFAA? it's disappointing to say the least. It's not actually like running 4xmsaa with 2x hit like they said. If you use 2xmsaa it like it becomes variable AA giving you anywhere between 2.5-3.5 msaa and the performance hit is a little worse than 2 but seemingly because it's more approximations it's not as bad as of a performance hit. They way it's also being implemented means nvidia has to constantly be keeping on top of their drivers to make it work in newer games because it's a white list for selected games. They seem to think nvidia will give up on it eventually. I think I agree. 

Is MFAA purely driver based, or is it something developers can implement themselves into games, like fxaa/txaa? if its purely driver based, thats garbage.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Is MFAA purely driver based, or is it something developers can implement themselves into games, like fxaa/txaa? if its purely driver based, thats garbage.

I think it could be but im not sure, they have a 10 minute video on youtube, check it out because I don't remember.

hmmmm    maxwell  uses its bandwidth more efficiently than kepler did, and maxwels cuda cores are more powerful as well......soooo.....  yeah i grabbed a 780ti on a fire sale after the 900 series came out and im glad i did. lol   980 and 970 are still beast, so are 780 and 780ti.

remember it takes 2 seconds to google it yourself......

my rig (close anyway, couldnt find my qnix 1440p moniter or my msi z77 g45a matx mobo)   http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LzzqwP

I think because there are way too many posts by 900 series fanboys, saying 980 blows away 780ti, or 780 is rubbish compares to 970. I guess.  :lol:

Actually, looking at the 780 Ti review and 980 review from Anandtech(looking at two separate reviews), the 980 beats the 780 Ti by a wide margin except for in a couple titles. They're both overclocked in the sections I've linked. Now, you can argue that the 980 is clocked higher, but you said that once they're both overclocked, the 780 Ti should still win. That isn't particularly true.

GTX 980 review

GTX 780 Ti review

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Actually, looking at the 780 Ti review and 980 review from Anandtech(looking at two separate reviews), the 980 beats the 780 Ti by a wide margin except for in a couple titles. They're both overclocked in the sections I've linked. Now, you can argue that the 980 is clocked higher, but you said that once they're both overclocked, the 780 Ti should still win. That isn't particularly true.

GTX 980 review

GTX 780 Ti review

Even if 980 beats 780Ti, so what? 780Ti is still a beast. Only 980 is more beastly.