Linus's New Vids

CartertheCOCguy

I've been subscribed since 2010

I'm pretty sure it was the Norco RPC-4224 Case unboxing that I subbed from, or maybe even earlier than that.

I would be an active forum member, but I just mainly lurk :P

I absolutely love the direction Linus Media Group has taken.

They're Professional, well-edited and informative videos, covering anything tech related,

even if I'm not necessarily interested in the product, i'll still watch as I always find every video entertaining.

FreeNAS Media Server: Fractal Define R5 || Xeon E5 1620 || Supermicro X9SRL-F-O || 32Gb ECC || 24TB Raw :6x4TB WD Red:Raid Z2||
Asus DSL-N66U flashed DD-WRT

Okay... I want to start this topic off saying, i have been subscribed to Linus for years, and these are my OWN opinions.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()())()()()()()()()()()()()()

Linus's New Vids are for Views and Money

I have been subbed to Linus since i was 11. That's right 11. I'm 14 now, I have been very unimpressed in his content lately. I loved his videos BEFORE he this was a full time job, it seems the latest videos (EX. Baby Monitor, Smart Paper Airplanes, $500+ Earbuds) are all for views. I dont wanna see Linus in the "Suggestions" box in YT if I'm watching a video on a remote control car. Also, another reason I don't like his 'New' content is the lack of 'Affordable' tech. We don't wanna see a video on a $10,000+ 3 way SLI/Crossfire rig that only 1% of us will even be able to SEE in our lifetimes. I would want to see something that we can legitimately can afford. 

PLEASE POST YOUR OPINIONS :)

@Linus_tech

when I was in your age I also noticed my interests and favorite content changing, so it might be a combination of you going through puberty and his videos changing

I really respect all of the work you guys are doing, you brought me into the "Tech scene" and you made me love computers. But with the level of perfection you guys deliver in every video, sometimes it's nice to see a litte VLOG, or a Tour of something. And yes, many people (like me) are not interested in baby stuff, but just because we are too young, and don't have some. Always remind yourself that you helped atleast 10 000 People which may bought that stuff who knows ?

Anyways keep going your way, except with that freakin' Whole Room Water Cooling Video, just publish it, or maybe even make a stream about it!!!! :P

Greets from Austria 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

no, but thats his fault for not choosing a stable career

So then why would you complain when he makes videos that he thinks will garner more views? You aren't his entire audience. You are thinking rather selfishly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzKFqs

Undecided on GPU

I actually just had a meeting internally and we're killing off all-in-one liquid coolers as a review category unless someone comes up with something truly special or that we haven't reviewed before (like a triple 140mm or something). Why? Because I'm bored of them, and apparently so are you

Thank god!

Agreed. They're all too uniform. You could just dub an existing AIO video and no one would be the wiser.

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

Roundups of the boring things like AiO-watercoolers and graphics cards(after the initial look a new graphics card "lets look at the reference model" video) that should be reviewed but is not exciting enough to get its own video.

Graphics card reviews are very boring when they are just
"this is the fifth graphics card of this model we have looked at, it runs 5 degrees cooler than stock under load, has a clock frequency 50 MHz above stock, 3 more fps in goat simulator and it has a red fan this time."
and can do nothing the 40 other versions of that graphics card can't do.

more doing stuff like projects, channelsuperfun, vlog style "we did this we think it's cool" videos etc. would be cool.

This is his job and living; and your opinion will not be the same as most of his viewers. I find the baby-monitor videos etc very boring so I simply click off of them and do something else! You can't like everything. As for him doing very expensive tech, I'd rather see awesome water cooled blazing fast builds than builds with an I3, 4GB of ram and integrated graphics, wouldn't you?

Roundups of the boring things like AiO-watercoolers and graphics cards(after the initial look a new graphics card "lets look at the reference model" video) that should be reviewed but is not exciting enough to get its own video.

Graphics card reviews are very boring when they are just

"this is the fifth graphics card of this model we have looked at, it runs 5 degrees cooler than stock under load, has a clock frequency 50 MHz above stock, 3 more fps in goat simulator and it has a red fan this time."

and can do nothing the 40 other versions of that graphics card can't do.

more doing stuff like projects, channelsuperfun, vlog style "we did this we think it's cool" videos etc. would be cool.

I disagree, just because it is the new gen does NOT mean it will be better bang-for-buck or even better performance in some cases. I like to watch reviews on products before i buy them.

I'm perfectly fine with his reviewing of enthusiast-grade hardware.  It's extremely interesting to see what top end hardware is capable of (This statement is backed up by view counts).  But I kind of understanding what the OP is getting at.  The Paper airplane video should have been on channel superfun.  I do enjoy more low-key videos like case reviews, mid-grade videocard reviews (and builds featuring midgrade hardware).  maybe there should be a divergence of the content made.  Like exclusively PC tech should be on a channel by itself.

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

Okay... I want to start this topic off saying, i have been subscribed to Linus for years, and these are my OWN opinions.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()())()()()()()()()()()()()()

Linus's New Vids are for Views and Money

I have been subbed to Linus since i was 11. That's right 11. I'm 14 now, I have been very unimpressed in his content lately. I loved his videos BEFORE he this was a full time job, it seems the latest videos (EX. Baby Monitor, Smart Paper Airplanes, $500+ Earbuds) are all for views. I dont wanna see Linus in the "Suggestions" box in YT if I'm watching a video on a remote control car. Also, another reason I don't like his 'New' content is the lack of 'Affordable' tech. We don't wanna see a video on a $10,000+ 3 way SLI/Crossfire rig that only 1% of us will even be able to SEE in our lifetimes. I would want to see something that we can legitimately can afford. 

PLEASE POST YOUR OPINIONS :)

@Linus_tech

I have seen your message only just now after Linus posted about it on Facebook.

I have to agree and disagree at the same time, I read Linus' answer and I must say that since 3 years ago the content has evolved quite a bit. The production value of his videos has increased a lot, and the videos might be of less interesting products for you. But you also have to consider that... He has to pay his employees, the house used for the business and sustain his family, so yeah, maybe he's moving a bit more into the click-bait, more expensive stuff, overkill videos category, but frankly... It's not that big of a deal.

As Linus goes to expand his business like he is doing, I think having more product categories (everything of high-end or truly innovative) will be the way to expand his business and stay afloat. Look at TekSyndicate for example, the said in one of the The Tek videos that the taxes only are making them go bankrupt... You have to make videos that cater to broad audiences if you want to make a sustainable business based off of Youtube, and if you're very talented, and dedicated like Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) you might go on to make it a profitable business.

So yes he has departed from doing computer hardware reviews, and sometimes gadgets, now he does the opposite... But, seeing how his userbase has grown shows to me that he has done the right business move. I agree that it is not what I subscribed to in the first place, but... I don't look back, I look at what's ahead, the future, and the future tells me, Linus could make a good living if he continues to improve the quality of his videos like he has done over the past year or so. Note that credit must be also given to the creative minds working with him too (Edzel Yago, Brandon Lee) who do a marvelous job at making the videos look as good as they do!

Now to the part where I disagree with you. Yes a Triple SLI or CrossFire config with an X99 Extreme Edition Intel CPU is extremely expensive... But look at you, you even said it yourself, you are 14, You have the time to become older, and buy stuff after a few jobs here and there, you don't even have work (at least I don't think so, I don't know you of course so I wouldn't know what your life is like). When I was 14 I was dreaming of being able to afford a console, even more so having my own PC... I had a P4 at home with some random 3D video card, it could barely run GTA San Andreas.

So yeah, maybe the tech being reviewed by Linus isn't affordable for you right now, but in a few years, and some budget planning you could be able to afford a very nice rig.

Also like other members of the community said, we are not all between 12 and 18, some of us, if not most, are older than 20 and have jobs enabling us the opportunity to buy such ridiculous computer setups.

And you know what, if you make a very good video and post it on Kickstarter you might even be able to crowdfund your very own Triple SLI system :P

So here you have it, you are not wrong, but you also know what they say about opinions, it's like buttholes, everyone has got one ;)

Greetings. :)

EDIT:

Also on the subject of paper Airplanes and other gadgets/toys, it should be featured on the main channel, at least some of it.

Why? Well, it's simple, the example of the Paper Airplane:

- It shows where CPUs are headed, they consume less and less energy (seen also on Intel desktop and laptop CPUs you might say, but this example increases the demonstration of advancements in CPU power consumption more than the 3 to 4 watts on a desktop or Laptop that either caries a huge battery or is connected to a power outlet)

- Bluetooth, I mean, you can't miss that, this airplane has a battery smaller than an earphone and it has capacity for a very long time. What does that mean for the wearables market, watches, Google Glass or other? It's a very nice advancement.

Even though it wasn't explicitly featured in it's video the Paper Airplane is a good preview of what is to come and be expected of CPU GPU and Wireless comms manufacturers. And then there's Tesla making research in battery technology.

And to those who might point to a certain Video, the firetruck video was posted loooooong loooong time ago, and it was one of his most watched videos for a long time on his channel, so it's also no wonder that he is trying that route again to get more viewers and subscribers ;)

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

People have different needs.

I would like to see Linus reviews something like this: http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/Stirling-X86.htm

That 48TB was so small business, not anything like datacenter-level, where I work.

But still those videos are entertaining, even though bit low-end...

Ofc I'm old-fart, few times older than 14, actually even my boy is older than that.

I disagree, just because it is the new gen does NOT mean it will be better bang-for-buck or even better performance in some cases. I like to watch reviews on products before i buy them.

what i meant was not much can change between for example between one GTX970 and another GTX970, change the cooler, bump up the clock speed and a different set of outputs than reference card.

I like the videos that are more casual and I feel I can laugh along to. BUT if they were all like that they wouldn't be special any more, the variety in style is what makes the channel good. (And the high production quality, I don't like videos with crackly audio and compressed, blocky video)

Also, another reason I don't like his 'New' content is the lack of 'Affordable' tech. We don't wanna see a video on a $10,000+ 3 way SLI/Crossfire rig that only 1% of us will even be able to SEE in our lifetimes. I would want to see something that we can legitimately can afford. 

Your other opinions... OK sure. BUT what is this blasphemy?! Why would you NOT want to see an occasional overkill system? It can't hurt, right?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

People have different needs.

I would like to see Linus reviews something like this: http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/Stirling-X86.htm

That 48TB was so small business, not anything like datacenter-level, where I work.

But still those videos are entertaining, even though bit low-end...

Ofc I'm old-fart, few times older than 14, actually even my boy is older than that.

you might want to ask wendel from tek syndicate to look at that thing. He does more of that server/workstation grade stuff.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

thats his fault for choosing this as a career

You can have your opinion and that's fine. Don't make a thread about your whining. Have at least a little bit of maturity. I'm 14 too and I can honestly say that you sir need to grow up.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

"$10,000+ 3 way SLI/Crossfire rig that only 1% of us will even be able to SEE in our lifetimes" Linus is showing his viewers this so more than 1% of us can see it.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Well i for one like the eyefinity setup even if i can't afford it its cool as hell.  

also simply downgraading it to three 1080 akes it affordable.

he needs to suck in some more nitwits to get subs before giving us hardcore fans good content.

like amnaeon, he's just doing covers and skits instead of making music, because he needs to actually pull in subs to succseed.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

linus said they do reviews and vids of expensive and high end things for very specific reasons, use this video as an example:

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I watch Linus because of the channels style and the depth of their tech knowledge. I enjoyed this mornings video even though I don't have kids, and I like the mineral oil build series even though I will never do it. Its the way they deliver the content that got me hooked...

thats his fault for choosing this as a career

As a 14 year-old, you need to grow the fuck up.

Stop watching his channel, stop watching the forums, we DO NOT need you here. In fact, the community is better off without you.

Cheers!

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

I like his high end equipment videos, because I sure as hell am not paying to build a mineral oil rig! But it's cool to see him do it. And funny to see him build these systems with expensive X99 boards and high end DDR4 and 8 core i7's and then show our simple i5 setups run the same games just as well. I think Linus runs a great channel and he had me dying laughing at how he was ripping the R7 240 to shreds in that one video on ultra low-end hardware. I think that video had one of the most useful tips a system builder can learn: that cheap doesn't equate to good price-to-performance ratio. I mean usually lower end stuff gives more performance per dollar, but that video did a great job showing where that price-to-performance ratio just drops off like hell once you go low enough on price.

As a 14 year-old, you need to grow the fuck up.

Stop watching his channel, stop watching the forums, we DO NOT need you here. In fact, the community is better off without you.

Cheers!

wow... that's not cool :) we've all been 14,  at that age you don't really think about what you say/do or filter. If you feel better then him, show it. You are acting like an asshole.

I agree, it's not allright how he puts his opinion down. But he has an opinion. He wants to open a discussion... Obviously he doesn't know how, but that's ok when you are 14?

telling him to fuck off... Does it help you? does it help him? no.

you're making the same mistake as him, you are to agressive, you could tell him how to handle it,

Linus isn't God, people will hate him, people will not approve with the choices he make as a boss. I personly refuse to subscribe, because is refuse to register. I do watch all the vids. I may not care about them all, but i watch them anyway.

I'm a Assassin's creed fan boy, and i stick with it, are you gonna hate me because i refuse to hate ubisoft?

you can agree or not about every person you meet :)

it's the way you handle people remember ;)

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/