Linus's New Vids

CartertheCOCguy

I'm all for videos of different toys, because not everyone enjoys or wants the same thing. But complaining because "Oh he made a video of the biggest one I don't like it because it doesn't fit me" is pretty pointless.

This entire thread should be innuendos.

I would rather say i am complaining about his content not being for the average gamer with a tight budget. There are probably people in the audience who run small data centers and need information like that. And then i say: great that Linus has a video for that!

But i feel like the channel needs some more back to the roots content lateley.

who cares...

Actually, some servers use 128gb RAM... and use 48TB NAS...

I have no idea who maintains such a server themselfs. Most small companies have somebody with the skills to help them out with this. This is just what i imagine, i could be totally wrong, lol.

who cares...

Oh boy that idea again.

I'm not saying unboxings. I would like some more unboxings but i agree that they are boring nowadays. :P

who cares...

Well he makes enough to support a family, employ six people and put money into expensive camera equipment. Don't think Linus is some poor martyr sacrificing himself for the good of all of us. This is a business. Linus is in it to make money. The day Linus stops making a profit is the day we don't get content (or at least full time high quality content). I don't think this is going to happen any time soon though. Linus has done well for himself. He has some reach into a couple of different markets and that makes him valuable for the companies in these markets. This means profit! Makes him dangerous too (i.e.  "Keep on Diggin" seems to be a widely used internet term for Ubi). Hope he doesn't get sued because that mean bye bye profit.

Actually no, he does not make enough from youtube to support his family and six employees. This is why they get sponsorships and paid ad placements. He has said before that most of their income comes from places other than google adsense. If he only made money from youtube videos he would definitely not be able to do this as a job. Youtube money is just a small part of his total revenue, but every small bit helps, even contributing by buying shirts or donating to the forum.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Actually no, he does not make enough from youtube to support his family and six employees. This is why they get sponsorships and paid ad placements. He has said before that most of their income comes from places other than google adsense. If he only made money from youtube videos he would definitely not be able to do this as a job. Youtube money is just a small part of his total revenue, but every small bit helps, even contributing by buying shirts or donating to the forum.

Why do you see the two as any different? Adsense and sponsorships are both revenue streams that he receives through making youtube videos. Some comes from adsense, some comes from sponsors. It all comes from a YT video.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

nah mate! its YOUR opinion, i dont have the right to judge

What would you have him do then? Reduce the amount of content (1 video every two days)? Review more components (5 different videos on 5 different ASUS motherboards)?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

(5 different videos on 5 different ASUS motherboards)?

Yeah that would be really boring. I'm saying this as someone who watches all of his videos. Consumers looking to buy a motherboard might want to see a review of that specific one. But we have other channels for that. Everytime ASUS releases their new motherboards, JJ is always there on some channel explaining each one. Linus should focus on the most interesting products. Those who innovate and really offer something special.

Why do you see the two as any different? Adsense and sponsorships are both revenue streams that he receives through making youtube videos. Some comes from adsense, some comes from sponsors. It all comes from a YT video.

No it does not all come from videos.

He does the WAN show with ad sponsors, he has the LTT forum with ads, he hosts shows like MOD24 and others.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No it does not all come from videos.

He does the WAN show with ad sponsors, he has the LTT forum with ads, he hosts shows like MOD24 and others.

Right, if you want to be pedantic about every little detail that's fine. Okay, you are right. Linus doesn't make 100% of his revenue through YouTube. Happy?

Now getting back to my actual point; don't portray Linus as the poor little youtuber who barely makes ends meet. LMG is a profitable business. Does that mean they don't need more money? No, of course they do. More money means more expansion which is good. Nonetheless, Linus is doing okay for himself right now. His children aren't starving. Not by a long shot!

If you don't like them, don't watch them. Besides, even if he is a sell out (which he isn't), he still sticks to his roots of being honest.

His job doesn't make him much money, so he accepts sponsors. He makes expensive reviews because whether or not some people will be able to buy the things he reviews, they like being informed and they like the eye candy. Another thing you should probably understand is some people like to buy things that they can't afford and they know it. For some that's cars or houses, for us, it's computers. I know that someday I'll splurge on a 3k+ PC that I can't afford, and I don't care. I watch all of Linus' stuff because I enjoy his personality, I learn something new almost every time, and it's better than rewatching Let's Plays in my free time.

Also, another reason I don't like his 'New' content is the lack of 'Affordable' tech. We don't wanna see a video on a $10,000+ 3 way SLI/Crossfire rig that only 1% of us will even be able to SEE in our lifetimes. I would want to see something that we can legitimately can afford. 

PLEASE POST YOUR OPINIONS :)

@Linus_tech

> " 1% of us will even be able to see in our lifetimes"

> that's why he's making youtube videos about it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I like his videos

i am trying to save my money for about a half a year to get a really nice computer

Why Linus changed his style of videos (from unboxings):

26:00

http://www.twitch.tv/linustech/b/579210628

That is the best comment in this thread so far.

I knew why Linus went his route and i knew that he was planning to expand but it is nice to have it confirmed in this video.

Can't wait for other hosts to take over different parts of "tech" in LMG.

Linus can't do everything and that's what we are experiencing here. That's why i said, lean back and wait for expansion. I'm just frustrated with the current mix of content.

who cares...

Some good discussion in here, but I really don't like the way the OP was personally attacked. Everyone in this community is welcome to voice his or her opinion about the content we produce at Linus Media Group because that's how we improve.

With that said, the mix of low end to high end productsf is unlikely to change anytime soon, and the reason is that people are only interested in watching something new, and there's simply no innovation in the space.

How far back do we have to go to find a $100 graphics card that wasn't rebadged?

How far back do we have to go to find a $40-50 CPU cooler that performs any differently than every other $40-50 CPU cooler? 

Why am I not making videos about this stuff? Because it's BORING AS ALL HELL. The cost reductions that these companies are achieving through better manufacturing are being offset by the ever increasing cost of raw materials, so that's why we end up with effectively the same price and same performance year after year after year in these commodity categories.

I actually just had a meeting internally and we're killing off all-in-one liquid coolers as a review category unless someone comes up with something truly special or that we haven't reviewed before (like a triple 140mm or something). Why? Because I'm bored of them, and apparently so are you: 

That video has lower engagement, and lower views than most of what we've released in the last month even though it's a solid cooler.

The way I see it, my job is to make entertaining videos about interesting tech. You might not personally have any use for a smart baby monitor or a triple 34" Eyefinity setup, but did you watch the video? Was the tech interesting? Were you not entertained?

Enjoy them all, even when I can't buy all of it. I also agree with your statements and do feel that everyone should get their say. I disagree with the OP but to each his/her own. I really like the mix of content. 

Some good discussion in here, but I really don't like the way the OP was personally attacked. Everyone in this community is welcome to voice his or her opinion about the content we produce at Linus Media Group because that's how we improve.

With that said, the mix of low end to high end productsf is unlikely to change anytime soon, and the reason is that people are only interested in watching something new, and there's simply no innovation in the space.

How far back do we have to go to find a $100 graphics card that wasn't rebadged?

How far back do we have to go to find a $40-50 CPU cooler that performs any differently than every other $40-50 CPU cooler? 

Why am I not making videos about this stuff? Because it's BORING AS ALL HELL. The cost reductions that these companies are achieving through better manufacturing are being offset by the ever increasing cost of raw materials, so that's why we end up with effectively the same price and same performance year after year after year in these commodity categories.

I actually just had a meeting internally and we're killing off all-in-one liquid coolers as a review category unless someone comes up with something truly special or that we haven't reviewed before (like a triple 140mm or something). Why? Because I'm bored of them, and apparently so are you: 

That video has lower engagement, and lower views than most of what we've released in the last month even though it's a solid cooler.

The way I see it, my job is to make entertaining videos about interesting tech. You might not personally have any use for a smart baby monitor or a triple 34" Eyefinity setup, but did you watch the video? Was the tech interesting? Were you not entertained?

Very well put. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

While I agree with the his statements basically said he was very pissed for you not catering to his specific needs and that you should've picked a different career if you only stick to what attracts views.

Very sorry but there is a difference in voicing an opinion and simply being selfish and whining. In the eyes of about everybody here that was the latter and you too have to admit that his tone and his stance was far from being a simple voicing of an opinion.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Was the tech interesting? Were you not entertained?

are+you.png

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Were you not entertained?

areyounotentertained.jpg

DAMMIT! Ninja'd by @Archangel1994

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro