Is Google Glass Dying ?

timothy

990121511977621646.jpg

Google Glass was supposed to be the eyewear of the future, but that future sounds pretty grim—at least if you read Reuters' latest report on the cyborg-like eyewear.

While Reuters doesn't seem to have any evidence that the Glass project has been shelved—a notion which Google denies, naturally—Reuters does paint a surpisingly compelling picture of fading interest in the technology.

Nine of the 16 app Glass app makers that Reuters contacted said they'd abandoned their projects—including a guy who won $10,000 for his efforts. "The Glass Collective," a venture effort to fund apps for Glass, has quietly disappeared. Three of Google's key employees on the Glass team have left. One source tells the publication that a consumer launch has been delayed, possibly till 2015.

Still, a launch is a launch, and Google says it's still happening sooner or later. "We are as committed as ever to a consumer launch. That is going to take time and we are not going to launch this product until it's absolutely ready," the company told Reuters.

And though Google Glass didn't have a splashy stage presence at this year's Google I/O developer conference, the company didn't exactly abandon it there. In fact, Google may be finding new uses for Glass in the workplace: Taco Bell and KFC are considering whether Glass could be used to help train employees.

Perhaps the real question isn't whether Glass is doomed, but whether anyone would buy and wear a pair unless it's part of the job description. Without a vibrant third-party app scene, that might be all they're good for.

I hope not because they could have been really awesome. I wish that I could get one . 

The oringal post at gizmodo.com : bit.ly/1zr0kZ8

Timothy Harnamji

If Google didn't want Glass to die like it did they shouldn't have an invite system to buy it and over a thousand dollar price tag. They also should have tried to remove the stigma people feel of wearing it in public.

When they release a 80-100$ google glass, it'll be popular, if not, no1 is going to fucking buy that shit.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I think interest has been lost because there hasn't been consumers buying and reviewing the product, and it must feel like they're just dragging this project along until it releases and then they'll let more 3rd Party Devs take over the apps and stuff of the sort. Also, they start at $1500 USD, not exactly neighbor sally friendly. That might also be why, you don't see people like friends and co-workers walking around and saying it's great, you see Google's ads that have Celebrity endorsements for the product. Who knows whether or not this will be successful.

Of course Google Glass is dying. It's a pricey alternative to something that isn't possible right now. Sure, phones are close to $1k and people still buy them but the bottom line is you'll be wearing something on your face in an area of the world where people with glasses are either:

- Treated as if they have a "mental disability" - you're looked down upon. This is in your primary/elementary schooling mainly, just to clarify.

- Thought of as incapable in many fields - this is mainly pertaining to sports, which is entirely true since they're so inconvenient. This is mid-to-high school (mid-late teens) and beyond.

- Eventually* thought to be less attractive with glasses. Some people may be able to wear glasses and look better or still attractive, but the general consensus is that they do not help in this department. *No exact timeframe. This is likely to happen when hormones kick in imo (12 to 17+/teens based on my experiences).

The bottom line is that outside of Asia, and perhaps in Asia as well, it's expensive and people look at glasses as something bad. You could explain for 2 hours about how great your Google Glass is but no one is going to care while they can 'affordably' get a 3G/4G connected cellphone that does similar things, or is simply enough for them. All while looking more hip and wealthy - glasses "just make you look dumb".

Can't say I disagree with that. And for the record, I wear glasses 24/7. It's not entertaining and I can't see a reason why I'd recommend someone wear anything on their face for even a few hours a day at most.

Edit: I didn't take into consideration the generation within the last 3-4 years ("Class of 2011-2020" for America, and beyond), but I did pay attention to what had happened in the 80s and 90s+. History has repeated itself to an extent. However it's all dependant on who you're trying to attract with your product; imo it's the 35+ yr olds with stable jobs/good income.

Of course Google Glass is dying. It's a pricey alternative to something that isn't possible right now. Sure, phones are close to $1k and people still buy them but the bottom line is you'll be wearing something on your face in an area of the world where people with glasses are either:

- Treated as if they have a "mental disability" - you're looked down upon. This is in your primary/elementary schooling mainly, just to clarify.

- Thought of as incapable in many fields - this is mainly pertaining to sports, which is entirely true since they're so inconvenient. This is mid-to-high school (mid-late teens) and beyond.

- Eventually* thought to be less attractive with glasses. Some people may be able to wear glasses and look better or still attractive, but the general consensus is that they do not help in this department. *No exact timeframe. This is likely to happen when hormones kick in imo (12 to 17+/teens based on my experiences).

I disagree. I've had glasses since I was 7 and it'll only impact your life as far as you let it. I doubt this is the reason why Google Glass is failing.

Let's just leave it at the high price tag and the fact that it's a total gimmick. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

The problem with google glass, smart watches and other tech wearables is exactly that: I don't want to wear them. It has nothing to do with price or looks, I'm just not big on accessories.

I disagree. I've had glasses since I was 7 and it'll only impact your life as far as you let it. I doubt this is the reason why Google Glass is failing.

Let's just leave it at the high price tag and the fact that it's a total gimmick.

I left what I'm about to say out of my post to reduce the length and to spark some discussion.

I hardly got harrassed or commented on in terms of my glasses. I just know what people think when they don't wear glasses. I've talked to a lot of people who have or don't have glasses across many age groups and, while the older folks understand because they're not dumb, the younger generations that are more reckless with their money do not see glasses as a good thing. People who wear focal lenses do not see it as something that is good for a number of reasons. Contacts and surgery exists for a reason.

It's hardly impacted my life (except the cost and sleeping - nothing is better than sleeping without glasses). I don't mind them, it hasn't made me feel bullied or like I have a stigma attached to me. But you cannot tell me that people are willing to wear these. They are dumb for a number of reasons but the easiest one to point a finger at and laugh is the fact that they are so very obtuse.

Edit:

Perhaps what I posted was biased but this is essentially what I meant:

The problem with google glass, smart watches and other tech wearables is exactly that: I don't want to wear them. It has nothing to do with price or looks, I'm just not big on accessories.

Except what I was saying mainly related the face. I don't know the numbers but I'm sure more people are willing to wear a watch or wrist band or something else than something in front of their eyes. Even with that, people aren't very interested in body peripherals (is that an accurate term..? lol).

I left what I'm about to say out of my post to reduce the length and to spark some discussion.

I hardly got harassed or commented on in terms of my glasses. I just know what people think when they don't wear glasses. I've talked to a lot of people who have or don't have glasses across many age groups and, while the older folks understand because they're not dumb, the younger generations that are more reckless with their money do not see glasses as a good thing. People who wear focal lenses do not see it as something that is good for a number of reasons. Contacts and surgery exists for a reason.

It's hardly impacted my life (except the cost and sleeping - nothing is better than sleeping without glasses). I don't mind them, it hasn't made me feel bullied or like I have a stigma attached to me. But you cannot tell me that people are willing to wear these. They are dumb for a number of reasons but the easiest one to point a finger at and laugh is the fact that they are so very obtuse.

Edit:

Perhaps what I posted was biased but this is essentially what I meant:

Except what I was saying mainly related the face. I don't know the numbers but I'm sure more people are willing to wear a watch or wrist band or something else than something in front of their eyes. Even with that, people aren't very interested in body peripherals (is that an accurate term..? lol).

It's personal preference mate. I wouldn't call the one thing that keeps my world from being one big blur dumb. Not everybody has the money or need for a $6000 laser eye surgery procedure or monthly expenses on contact lenses.

One could argue that people do want to wear glasses or else hipsters wearing glasses for fashion wouldn't be a thing. Again my point is that I doubt that this is why Google Glass is failing. 

Kids are mean and not mature enough to realize that it's not a bad thing if you're a little bit different. Many tried to tease me for having glasses but I never took shit from anyone and owned how I looked with them on.

The only time I heard comments was when I didn't have em on. People actually missed how I looked with my glasses.

I'd argue to say that it never 'lived'. I personally think that it functioned more as a transitional stage for Google to create an audience around wearable technology such as Google Glass to figure out if there is an interest in such devices and to spark companies to explore that area which quite frankly worked and Google, at least how I see it, used Google Glass as a step for Google Ware products which are rising interests and are starting to improve substantially. It also approved that people are not willing to have technology dictate a new fashion and look for them and they rather stay with a traditional looking accessories such as smartwatches that blend in and don't make you stand out while giving you the same features if not more.

When the tech is small enough to fit into the frame of my existing glasses and project information onto the glass itself or into my eyes, it will always be stupid. 

But we aren't there yet. So someone has to make products that make sense with the tech (and the associated restrictions) of today. I don't think Glass was ever meant to be this huge thing that everyone would have 2 years down the line and use all the time. 

Oh, to address the bickering about even wearing glasses; I prefer having my vision corrected by a piece of glass for as long as possible till the time I need someone to cut open my eye and fire a laser into it. That itself is risky. Ever wonder why certain doctors performing laser eye surgery are wearing glasses? There is a pretty good reason why those who have glasses stick with them, especially in certain fields. 

Not that having 20/15 or some crazy level of vision isn't tempting, I just don't need to spend the 6-10k on a very good surgery to fix things right now. And laser eye surgery is getting what you pay for. So in the long run 400 every 2 years on glasses v. several thousand on eye surgery when ATM needing laser correction isn't required or even encouraged. Yea, I know which route I'm taking. 

When the tech is small enough to fit into the frame of my existing glasses and project information onto the glass itself or into my eyes, it will always be stupid. 

But we aren't there yet. So someone has to make products that make sense with the tech (and the associated restrictions) of today. I don't think Glass was ever meant to be this huge thing that everyone would have 2 years down the line and use all the time. 

Oh, to address the bickering about even wearing glasses; I prefer having my vision corrected by a piece of glass for as long as possible till the time I need someone to cut open my eye and fire a laser into it. That itself is risky. Ever wonder why certain doctors performing laser eye surgery are wearing glasses? There is a pretty good reason why those who have glasses stick with them, especially in certain fields. 

Not that having 20/15 or some crazy level of vision isn't tempting, I just don't need to spend the 6-10k on a very good surgery to fix things right now. And laser eye surgery is getting what you pay for. So in the long run 400 every 2 years on glasses v. several thousand on eye surgery when ATM needing laser correction isn't required or even encouraged. Yea, I know which route I'm taking. 

Also laser surgery doesn't fix it forever. My father had laser surgery done and about 20 years later he is needing to have glasses again. 

I actually never really thought it was going to be a full on consumer product in that form factor which is still too fucking big and stupid looking. I think they just wanted a test run of the concept but they'll let it cook for a long while until they can figure out a truly tiny projector or contact lenses instead

-------

Current Rig

-------

The thing looks weird on your head.

People will treat you like a hostile if you wear that thing in public. And personally I think the kind of evil things you can do with it, outweighs the positives about it. Maybe it could be useful for special cases, but its definitely not for everybody walking in streets  

Yes, google glass hype is definitely dieing down. I don't mind a smartwatch but the world is not yet ready for google glass

I think it will likely be shelved for an internal version (actual cybernetics). Which I think would be interesting.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It was never alive to begin with. It had no chance.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Google's fine with it dying I think. Android Wear is replacing it, and it looks a lot better

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

We are glued to our phones. The reckless employees at google thought the future was strapping them to our face, but we are not yet ready for that. For now, we'll strap them to our wrists.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Too expensive.

Too poor battery.

Too poor adoption.

Not enough market for app developers to bother.

Smartwatches are becoming a thing and have less of a negative stigma.

Maybe there'll be a revival once smartwatches in general have established themselves and consumers and companies are looking for the next big thing. That'll probably be at least another 3 years, probably more.

I still want one for when I'm sight seeing when I'm travelling. I already look like a tourist taking pictures of buildings and stuff I might as well go the extra mile

It's personal preference mate. I wouldn't call the one thing that keeps my world from being one big blur dumb. Not everybody has the money or need for a $6000 laser eye surgery procedure or monthly expenses on contact lenses.

One could argue that people do want to wear glasses or else hipsters wearing glasses for fashion wouldn't be a thing. Again my point is that I doubt that this is why Google Glass is failing. 

Kids are mean and not mature enough to realize that it's not a bad thing if you're a little bit different. Many tried to tease me for having glasses but I never took shit from anyone and owned how I looked with them on.

The only time I heard comments was when I didn't have em on. People actually missed how I looked with my glasses.

It's not personal preference when it comes to aesthetics and the task of wearing and maintaining them. I'm sure as hell you'd prefer not to, even if you don't mind them - I sure as hell wouldn't. That price tag is relevant but has nothing to do with what I was saying. Also, there are ways to get it for under $2500. I'm just afraid of the procedures in general.

I'm not saying it's failing purely because of that if that's what you meant. I understand there's other reasons but I'd prefer to think it's a very subtle, underlying reason as to why people don't want to get into Google Glass.

...But I mentioned this in my post. While older/more mature indviduals were more accepting of it, I still found they wouldn't want to wear them. Negative comments aside, anyway. 'Owned' is a kind of strange, personal comment. I don't reall think that matters.. As for the whole peer preference thing, it's all about adjustments (which is why I support tech like Google Glass; it's all about adjusting just like your first pair of focal lenses). I couldn't afford a new pair of glasses for about a year but I got no feedback about how I looked without them except for when I didn't have them at first.

Again, bias on my side, however I wouldn't have posted if I was confident in any of this having a relatively significant impact here.

Its a dumb idea all around. Most people don't want to wear glasses. They wear contacts to avoid that. Add to that the fact that it's less capable than a smartphone in every sense of the word and that it costs $1000. From a fashion standpoint they are also very unappealing and basically paint the word nerd on your face. The first time I heard about Google glass I thought it was a stupid joke.

It's not personal preference when it comes to aesthetics and the task of wearing and maintaining them. I'm sure as hell you'd prefer not to, even if you don't mind them - I sure as hell wouldn't. That price tag is relevant but has nothing to do with what I was saying. Also, there are ways to get it for under $2500. I'm just afraid of the procedures in general.

I'm not saying it's failing purely because of that if that's what you meant. I understand there's other reasons but I'd prefer to think it's a very subtle, underlying reason as to why people don't want to get into Google Glass.

...But I mentioned this in my post. While older/more mature indviduals were more accepting of it, I still found they wouldn't want to wear them. Negative comments aside, anyway. 'Owned' is a kind of strange, personal comment. I don't reall think that matters.. As for the whole peer preference thing, it's all about adjustments (which is why I support tech like Google Glass; it's all about adjusting just like your first pair of focal lenses). I couldn't afford a new pair of glasses for about a year but I got no feedback about how I looked without them except for when I didn't have them at first.

Again, bias on my side, however I wouldn't have posted if I was confident in any of this having a relatively significant impact here.

K. I wrote a longer reply than this at first but this isn't going anywhere. You have your opinion I have mine. Let's leave it at that.