Another reason to love Sennheiser

jchenabc

My first pair of Sennheiser is the PX-100 II ($80), the cable broke down twice, they send me two pairs of brand new PX-100 II.

Second pair is the HD 518(I got it for $135, it's way cheaper now), absolutely love it, everyone should have one. They are still working. Only the ear pad is a little destroyed from using it everyday for 4 years everyday.

Since Linus love his IE80 so much, I bough a pair($300+).(Linus really have a lot of power in convincing what to buy lol) I also just can't wear HD518 in the summer anymore. They are amazing, I didn't know earphones/IEMs could sound so open/airy without leaking the sound everywhere. I guess that's why they call it IEM  :) 

Now the best part is, I had to send it to Sennheiser for cable replacement. I use them a lot, the 3.5mm right angle plug was bent a little. Send it in last week, got it back today. Only took them one week(2 day shipping there and back). Well, guess what .. they send a brand new pair (without the retail box). Bad business on their part I guess. They will probably repair it or reuse the drivers. But the speed and the customer service is just unbelievable.

Moral of the story .... Be careful with the cable ... and buy Sennheiser ! 

Sennheiser's not gunna give me a free replacement HD800 cable, they're going to sell it for $300 (from their site in an obscure listing). And if you bought your HD800 below a set minimum price (even non-used), your warranty is void.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Sennheiser's not gunna give me a free replacement HD800 cable, they're going to sell it for $300 (from their site in an obscure listing). And if you bought your HD800 below a set minimum price (even non-used), your warranty is void.

Why's the cable so expensive?

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Why's the cable so expensive?

I'm guessing it's accounted in percentage, ~$300 from ~$1500, which is 20%. Essentially the same as $20 replacement cable for a $100 headphone. Another example would be $70 replacement (standard) cable for $300 Hifiman HE400: https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=163

Another reason I can think of is they want to keep it as an exclusive and bona-fide product

Then buy it yourself from ebay for 5 dollars or so

The cable is easy, you can basically use a $1/m cable or $100/m cable. It's the proprietary connector that's pricey. This is the cheapest one on ebay, not genuine, of course: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C8-2pcs-Gold-plated-Plug-Pin-for-DIY-Senheiser-HD800-Headphone-Cable-connector-/261402701110?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3cdcd0ad36

I'm guessing it's accounted in percentage, ~$300 from ~$1500, which is 20%. Essentially the same as $20 replacement cable for a $100 headphone. Another example would be $70 replacement (standard) cable for $300 Hifiman HE400: https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=163

Another reason I can think of is they want to keep it as an exclusive and bona-fide product

The cable is easy, you can basically use a $1/m cable or $100/m cable. It's the proprietary connector that's pricey. This is the cheapest one on ebay, not genuine, of course: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C8-2pcs-Gold-plated-Plug-Pin-for-DIY-Senheiser-HD800-Headphone-Cable-connector-/261402701110?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3cdcd0ad36

And for FORTY DOLLARS! 

The answer is basically that Sennheiser wants you to pay more for their stuff. Since it's an expensive headphone so they figure I wouldn't be too sad about paying that much. Cheaper products they sell it nice and cheaply, not really off of a percentage of the price of the headphone.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

And for FORTY DOLLARS! 

The answer is basically that Sennheiser wants you to pay more for their stuff. Since it's an expensive headphone so they figure I wouldn't be too sad about paying that much. Cheaper products they sell it nice and cheaply, not really off of a percentage of the price of the headphone.

Yeah, that's basically how capitalism world works. It's segmented market. You can't expect a guy to buy a $500.000 Lamborghini, and refuse to pay $200 routine service. Well, something like that. 

From what I can see its just a simple 6.35 to 3.5mm cable

It's the connector that's pricey, this thing here:

mh-hd800-1.jpg

Of course, estimated actual material and bulk production cost would be somewhere around $5-$10, perhaps lower, but can't seem to find a pair that's under $40 on the market. Furutech's version is about $100/pair.

Another way would be to mod the connector altogether, replace it with something cheaper, maybe mini-XLR or something. In turn, it would be more work, void the warranty, and lower resell price.

I have had bad experience with Sennheiser - My PC 360 had an error sound on one side disappeared and I had to knock on the volume wheel to restore the sound. It was sent in, and partially made. But they did not say that it had been made, so I had to pay for shipping. But it began again, just on the other side. And now the warranty is expired
Have considered buying Sennheiser Game Zero, but are afraid that they have the same problem. And with the poor service sennheiser provided and for the price you have to provide for them. So I am not sure. Others who have the same experience ??

I have had bad experience with Sennheiser - My PC 360 had an error sound on one side disappeared and I had to knock on the volume wheel to restore the sound. It was sent in, and partially made. But they did not say that it had been made, so I had to pay for shipping. But it began again, just on the other side. And now the warranty is expired

Have considered buying Sennheiser Game Zero, but are afraid that they have the same problem. And with the poor service sennheiser provided and for the price you have to provide for them. So I am not sure. Others who have the same experience ??

It's actually a common knowledge (well, maybe not so common), that headphones, IEMs, etc with those tiny volume wheels on it, you can bet those volume wheels are crappy, and usually the first one to give out. It's because they're prone to be invaded by dirt and dust. Your problem is actually simple, dirty internal contact on the volume wheel. If you have a compressed air can, give it a few spray, usually that'd fix the problem, for a while.