Im Scared for My PC's Life

Diamond Nacho
Go to solution Solved by Peter Vaughan Truslow,

this is going to sound like an odd quesion, but how heavy was the power supply?

yes it is possible for power supplies to fail catastrophically and take parts with it.

my last computer had three of the same antec power supply die in it, and after the last PSU failure I decided not to RMA when it took the GPU with it.on the box i think it said about 3 lbs give or take half a pound. not exactly sure  but that has to be close

that sounds kinda light. my 950 watt PC power&cooling(actually 1000 watt@12 volts) weighs about 7.5 pounds. that thing is a burly beast.

your PSU might not die on you but I wouldn't trust it with more than a 500 watt system and even then I wouldn't be sure.

Damn I think I screwed up.

I bought a Viotek 850watt PSU because I ran out of money after my build (the PSU was $85!!11!juan1!!).

I have been hearing scary stories from people who bout these cheap power supplies and they ruined all of their parts inside *shudder*

Should I skip dinner for a few days and get a new juan ASAP?

I've had it for a about 2 months now.

I've never heard of Viotek so...not too sure.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Never heard of the brand before.

I kinda have thing thing about buying brands I don't know. I stick with the big guys :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

yes it is possible for power supplies to fail catastrophically and take parts with it.

my last computer had three of the same antec power supply die in it, and after the last PSU failure I decided not to RMA the PSU, again, when it took the GPU with it.

I'd say just slowly save up a bit then get something from one of the following: EVGA. Silverstone, Seasonic, Corsair, then I think there was one other good one.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I wouldn't worry too much, I've had power supplies fail on me before.

They were really cheap ones, $20, ended up having bad smells and eventually failing.

In your situation, I'd only get a new one if you can afford it. Until then, just don't leave your computer unattended if you're actually worried.

I only go for known brands now though 

my last computer had three of the same antec power supply die in it, and after the last PSU failure I decided not to RMA when it took the GPU with it.on the box i think it said about 3 lbs give or take half a pound. not exactly sure  but that has to be close

Food>PC, You could try to get a used Brand PSU.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

if you decide to get a new PSU, a 550 watt PSU would probably do fine in your system, and leave room for future upgrades to a high end GPU if you decided to later on.

Im going to add another r9 270x when the black friday/cyber monday sales are going strong. i looked at a PSU calc and it said with all the upgrades i plan on doing, it would be 770 watts reccommended

get a new psu asap, you could destroy your pc but you could also burn your house down, cheap psus have been banned in some counties due to how unsafe they are.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

that sounds kinda light. my 950 watt PC power&cooling(actually 1000 watt@12 volts) weighs about 7.5 pounds. that thing is a burly beast.

your PSU might not die on you but I wouldn't trust it with more than a 500 watt system and even then I wouldn't be sure.

I'd say just slowly save up a bit then get something from one of the following: EVGA. Silverstone, Seasonic, Corsair, then I think there was one other good one.

You forgot the BeQuiet brand, they're descent, Linus even uses them in some of the builds.

You forgot the BeQuiet brand, they're descent, Linus even uses them in some of the builds.

Yeah, and some of coolermasters psus are good.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yeah, and some of coolermasters psus are good.

Coolermaster is a pretty solid brand.

Screw it i just ordered the 17-152-043-02.jpgRAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W . You guys scared me enough to just get it. Thanks for the help! Im sure i just saved my pc haha.l

An 850w psu is a bit OTT for 270X cf. A good 650W would be enough.