BMW is Developing Street Lights That Can Also Charge Your Electric Car..

Pump it..Louder..

BMWi3-d.jpg

BMW has an innovative plan to keep your(#pun) electric car keep running even if you're a 100 miles away from the next charging station, The company plans to developed street lights(current ones) that are modified to handle the power delivery to be equipped with sockets to charge electric cars through out the city..

The company has developed "Light and Charge" LED street lights that could keep your Electric car  topped up (Beemer or otherwise) using existing urban infrastructure instead of dedicated power outlets and charging stations..

BMW_Cevolution_03.jpg

Street lamps are an already-existing piece of infrastructure which already have the necessary cables inside.Adding a charging port should be very simple..

BMW has developed two prototypes that meld a LED street light with electric car-charging sockets.

BMW's focusing on existing street light for this innovative tech instead of building a new one & placing the on the road for miles there by creating their own private network of charging stations , instead they went the other way around , because they want to reduce costs Plus It should be cheaper for cities to implement,

Solar_Street_Lights.jpg

"Seamless charging infrastructure is essential if we want to see more electric vehicles on the road in our cities in the future,"

-    Peter Schwarzenbauer (BMW)

BMW i8

kpwcwbnomn4urzyfawtt.jpg

BMW has developed some of the most advanced electric cars, including the i3 city vehicle and i8 hybrid. But electric cars as a product category have struggled to gain widespread popularity due to their limited operating range, the scarcity of charging stations and the time it takes to recharge them..This should put electric cars back on track (literally) & do it efficiently

BMW already has two prototypes outside its head office, and is deploying a pilot programme onto the streets of Munich, Germany by next year. These additional charging stations can be used by as many drivers as possible, regardless of vehicle model and electricity provider..

BMW i8 & i3 Electric cars shown below..

bmw-i3-i8-front2.jpg

Current estimate is that it will run a pilot project in Munich next year that uses existing local authority lighting networks.

Althought there is a catch to it , the electricity won't be free, and for the charges you will have to use a mobile app to pay for charging you do for the car evertime.. :/

BMW executives recently met with rival Tesla Motors to discuss the availability of electric vehicle charging stations & In addition to developing street lighting, BMW has already invested into software and applications that help drivers of electric cars find a parking space and charging stations, including investments into Justpark and the SLAM charging network.

Pretty cool news, What are your thoughts on this? Post a Comment or leave a rant down below...

Bonus:

funny-meme-buy-an-electric-car.jpg

Head over to these sites for more reads:

http://gizmodo.com/bmw-is-developing-street-lights-that-also-charge-your-e-1656404266

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/10/bmw-ev-charging-street-lights/

Details separate people.

that car is sexy though.... I want moar electric cars!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I think it is a really good idea as the infrastructure is already there. Trouble is, how will they know if you paid?. Yes there is an app for you to pay, but what's to stop someone charging their car and not paying? They (BMW) would have to put cameras in to make sure or implement a time based pre-pay charge system. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I think it is a really good idea as the infrastructure is already there. Trouble is, how will they know if you paid?. Yes there is an app for you to pay, but what's to stop someone charging their car and not paying? They (BMW) would have to put cameras in to make sure or implement a time based pre-pay charge system. 

NFC maybe? to keep logs, Nothing too much on the sources i read about this , but this is a real project that's going to happen that's for sure, it's not just a rumor ..

Details separate people.

I wonder what would Tesla would think about this.......

Tesla provides 100% free charging. 

More specifically I wonder what Elon Musk would think

Elon Musk probably doesn't see this as competition, but instead as a push for more electric vehicle use. In other words good progress in his eyes.

The car looks nice but has it's cons. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The one on the left is, not so much the one on the right. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

It's not available everywhere.......

Supercharger stations are popping up all across the US at the moment. You can take a roadtrip from one end of the US to the other no problem. 

Coverage should be extended even more by the next quarter.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That's pretty interesting, can't wait to see how it develops. Only really solves part of the problem though.

For example, there aren't light poles on huge amounts of Canadian highways...

Tesla provides 100% free charging. 

For how long remains to be seen. As it increases the draw on the California power grid, I'm sure they'll be demanding money to upgrade their already inadequate infrastructure.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well, at least someone is trying. I for one really hope this catches on, or at least inspires something else that will.

Thumbs up BMW <3

the BMW i3 is horrible, I had one at my office the other week.. the i8 on the other hand... nom

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That's pretty interesting, can't wait to see how it develops. Only really solves part of the problem though.

For example, there aren't light poles on huge amounts of Canadian highways...

For how long remains to be seen. As it increases the draw on the California power grid, I'm sure they'll be demanding money to upgrade their already inadequate infrastructure.

All supercharger stations are built be self sustainable. Tesla team up with their affiliated solar company solarcity to install high quality panels on all charging stations.

All supercharger stations are built be self sustainable. Tesla team up with their affiliated solar company solarcity to install high quality panels on all charging stations.

Ehhh...while that's a great idea I'm almost positive they can't produce as much electricity with small panels that they use when they charge a vehicle.

They're also not all designed like this.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ehhh...while that's a great idea I'm almost positive they can't produce as much electricity with small panels that they use when they charge a vehicle.

They're also not all designed like this.

The supercharger stations are reportedly producing more power than their consuming. According to the Tesla Forums. 

The whole roof of the station is nothing but solar panels lol. 

Neat idea but I don't see this happening in eastern EU countries for the next 10 years.

Just wait till the EEV blog gets this news.

"I smell BULLSHIT!" 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The supercharger stations are reportedly producing more power than their consuming. According to the Tesla Forums. 

The whole roof of the station is nothing but solar panels lol. 

Yeah, but that's only the ones that are designed like that. There are stations that are simply small gas pump style units.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler