Can one get sued for writing theses with a counterfeit copy MS Word?

sjwatanabe

I ought to put this in the off-topic subforum but it said "non tech-related content only please!". I guess this is tech related 'cause MS Word. I'm fairly new here so I hope I did this right. lol

So I overheard the conversation between one of my classmates and her research adviser. The professor told her to make sure she's using a legitimate copy of MS Word or she and her partner could be sued (for whatever reason; software counterfeiting, maybe?)

I've been wondering, and I know its a little bit of a no-brainer but, can that really happen? Who's gonna check if you have a legitimate copy of MS Word, the NSA?

I think its just a way for the professor to make them go to the book store and invest in microsoft word... 

Microsoft needs to not make us pay for word... it's such crap :( 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Load of crap, they won't sue you just for that.... You can just block it in the firewall and/or run it from another drive and there is no way they'll know if it is legitimate or not.

The software doesn't leave any markings on the file. So there's little to no way of telling what kind of software it was used to make. Besides that, converting with free software like Libreoffice is easy to do. Ofc it depends on laws per country, but in here it isn't against the law to use pirate copies. Selling, making and sharing them is. So basicly if you have accidentally got pirate version, you won't get sued because of that mistake.

As for why they might scare people... there are many reasons. In here the main would be plagiarism issue which can be seen as same thing in some eyes. But in any good Uni/college this shouldn't be issue as they always have legimate versions on their machines. So why not using them?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm well aware of the freeware and the legit copies unis have. As I've said I just overheard this conversation and doesn't really apply to myself, but got so interested in the possibility of having such a thing happen. Turns out there are none. Anyway guys I think we have an unanimous answer now. Thank you all for your replies, well appreciated. :D

This would never happen. Its "wrong" but Microsoft really doesn't care if regular people pirate their software. I'm sure Microsoft would rather you pirate Word and use it than not pirate Word and use a competitor's software.

They do care about actual businesses that make a profit off of selling counterfeit Microsoft software though.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

ehmm whut? no, why? what the hell.. altough selling counterfeit copies is something else, but for writing something on a illegal copy and then printing and selling it should be fine as long it aint plagiarism.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

If its for personal use, then no, its illegal but no one cares. If your company uses it however... its still unlikely but you might get sued.

I have a friend that fixes computers, he has some advertisement, business card and stuff. He always installs pirated copy of windows on his clients PC's, but that is because no one in my country ever pays for OS. He did get in trouble one time for doing that, had to pay around 1000$ fine.

I classify Microsoft Office as a kind of software where individuals are not expected to actually buy it. I have never heard of anyone getting sued because of pirating Word, only corporations would be sued for that.

Check what you need, though. You may not need Word at all. Besides free alternatives like Libreoffice there are also Microsoft Office online and Google docs. Personally I don't use Word because Office online is enough to cover my needs.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yeah depends on your countries laws

Will they check? Doubt it, will you get caught? doubt it

but if you DO get caught you can face a hefty fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii