Iphone 6 Plus Recall soon? (Rumour, Might/Might not)

EDIT: THIS THREAD IS NOT EVEN A PAGE LONG AND I'M ALREADY ANNOYED. WHAT ABOUT THIS TOPIC MAKES IT AN ANDROID VS iOS/APPLE DEBATE? NOTHING. SO KEEP IT OUT OF THE COMMENTS. THIS IS ABOUT THE HARDWARE, NOT THE SOFTWARE. (17:30PM GMT)

UPDATE: A link to a 9to5mac.com article about was provided to me by @NickTheNajin that Debunks this Rumour that is gong around. You can visit that article by clicking HERE

This article was just published on Technobuffalo, you can find it HERE

Here is another article published by BGR - HERE

It's no secret that #Bendgate was a major hit for Apple. But they could soon be facing a much bigger problem. 

Owners of iPhone 6 Plus's, notably the 128GB variant have reported their phone crashing and rebooting occasionally. According the Business Korea, Apple decided to cut costs and decided to use TLC (Triple-Level-Cell) flash rather than traditional MLC (Multi-Level Cell) that they have used in previous versions of their flagship device. This site also mentions that there are known problems with the controller that Apple is using, The same problems have been noted to occur in Samsung SSD's.

Direct Quote from Technobuffalo's article:

The problem, Business Korea explained, is that while TLC can store more data, it’s also slower and less stable than the other options available, which may be one reason why the iPhone 6 Plus with 128GB of storage crashes. The site also points to known problems with the controller IC, or integrated circuit, that has also been recognized in Samsung SSD products that use the same NAND flash.

According the Business Korea, Apple may be able to fix this issue with a software update.

EDIT: My Question - would this be a firmware update to the controller as I don't think that would be possible through an iOS/iTunes update would it?

New Source Info: According to BGR, the SSD's affected are the 840 and 840 EVO drives, NOT the Pro versions.

Direct Quote from BGR's article:

The publication also notes that a similar TLC NAND memory issue might be affecting certain Samsung SSD drives, including SSD 840 and 840 EVO, with Samsung having tried to fix them with firmware updates.

My Opinion? 

If this is true, this could cause a whole shit storm for Apple with the amount of devices they shipped. I hope if this is an issue, they can solve it sharp-ish or they will have a huge problem on their hands, not just the phones, but people questioning their reliability in other products.

technobuffalo-651-ask-the-buffalo-iPhone

UPDATE: A link to a 9to5mac.com article about was provided to me by @NickTheNajin that Debunks this Rumour that is gong around. You can visit that article by clicking HERE

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Feel bad for people who went for the iPhone 6.... Android has always been top notch

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

I hardly think TLC would be the root of the problem, unless the actual flash was improperly installed or used. I have a TLC SSD with 2 years of warranty left and that's running just fine :P

Might be a general QC problem though.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Didn't apple want to stop using samsung parts in their products a while ago?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Are these only effecting the 128GB phones? I'm looking towards the 64GB 6+

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

Feel bad for people who went for the iPhone 6.... Android has always been top notch

I'd really suggest you look back at Android's past if you genuinely believe that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not too surprising from a company that won't put 2GB of RAM in a phone. :/ Jobs is rolling in his grave, wishing he could slap whoever thought this was a good idea.

Didn't apple want to stop using samsung parts in their products a while ago?

So long as they keep using Foxconn pcb's they wont ever get away from Samsung.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Android ain't a phone. You comparing a phone to an OS... Anyway, we're talking flash memory. Any phone could have used this. I mean even Samsung used it in their SSD.

But does it suck ? Yeah. If it's a real problem, I hope they fix it. If not, I guess if you have problems you can just take it to a genuis bar to have it swap or something...

My 128GB phone is supposed to be rebooting, crashing and being weird? Damn, I guess it missed that message at the morning meeting. 

And lets assume there is a recall. Guess how easy Apple recalls are? Go to Apple Store, swap device out, go home. Do I even need to mention how big a clusterfuck it is for Android devices to handle a recall? Not that this excuses the issue at hand, but for fucks sake you people act like either side is infallible and can't mess up, and then start going "HAHAHAHAHAHA" when the other side does mess up. 

I don't get it. The articles in question raise valid concerns but also went to the Fox News School of Sensationalism. Could be a problem. Could not be a problem. Data size is everything. Are these reboots/crashes the expected norm with any device? The norm for iOS devices in general? Or are they exceedingly high in a specific set of iOS devices (aka the 128GB models and lower in everything else?)

Just like #Bendghazi, the lack of verifiable data means any conclusion is useless and more based in speculation than fact. But don't let me interrupt the proceedings...

i dont think its gonna be that big of a deal, there likely wont be a recall. and lets be honest, bendgate was blown way out of preportion. sure there was more than 9 actually reported, but nowhere as bad as people want to think it was. 95% of the pictures of bent phones are from people who bent their own phone on purpose to rake in on the internet points.  

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

How many people bought a 128GB iPhone 6+ anyway? Doesn't that cost like 10000 dollars or something.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I have the 128 GB model space grey, haven't noticed any problems. 

if this is the same firmware issue that the 840 EVO had, the fix isn't that big of deal. I had to update a couple drives when Samsung issued the fix. the issue was purely firmware based.

also, because Android.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

And it will beat the shit out of iOS with the 5.0 update :P

Can't wait for it! A Nexus 5 is a better buy than an iPhone 6 and costs less than half...

None of that matters if you are bored with android :P

All about preference :) 

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

"The publication also notes that a similar TLC NAND memory issue might be affecting certain Samsung SSD drives, including SSD 840 and 840 EVO, with Samsung having tried to fix them with firmware updates."

Wait tried to fix? That tool they released didn't change the firmware version according to "Samsung Magician" but I can't say I've noticed any issues with my evo before or after the fix (drive had only been installed about 10 days before they released the fix)
So assuming Samsung fixed it and my drives not still just too new to notice and it's the same issue I don't see why apple can't fix it with software.

C'mon guys I like Android as much as the next guy but can we please have one apple related thread without it turning into Android vs Apple

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

hahahahaha yeah never suffers from bad battery life, force closes, crashing, updates that take months to roll out and leave users in a maker lottery for when they will get theres, security issuses..........

My 128GB phone is supposed to be rebooting, crashing and being weird? Damn, I guess it missed that message at the morning meeting. 

And lets assume there is a recall. Guess how easy Apple recalls are? Go to Apple Store, swap device out, go home. Do I even need to mention how big a clusterfuck it is for Android devices to handle a recall? Not that this excuses the issue at hand, but for fucks sake you people act like either side is infallible and can't mess up, and then start going "HAHAHAHAHAHA" when the other side does mess up. 

I don't get it. The articles in question raise valid concerns but also went to the Fox News School of Sensationalism. Could be a problem. Could not be a problem. Data size is everything. Are these reboots/crashes the expected norm with any device? The norm for iOS devices in general? Or are they exceedingly high in a specific set of iOS devices (aka the 128GB models and lower in everything else?)

Just like #Bendghazi, the lack of verifiable data means any conclusion is useless and more based in speculation than fact. But don't let me interrupt the proceedings...

nice to to see the new builder has arrived banging the apple drum. so let me get this straight because your phone is ok there is no issue? right

apple recalls are easy if you live by a store. I dont. i live 40 min away from a store...thats in a major city so is a bithsc to get to. or i can send it in and wait a week+ joy and all this from a device that costs nearly  £800 off contract and £200 more than most if its rivals.  i expect more from apple than what seams to have been them cutting corners left and right

as for bendgate....i dont think its over. jay from jayztwocents has commented on his 6 stating that he has bent it already from normal day to day use....

as for this issue if its just a update fix then who cares really if not.....yet more woes for apple

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

"The publication also notes that a similar TLC NAND memory issue might be affecting certain Samsung SSD drives, including SSD 840 and 840 EVO, with Samsung having tried to fix them with firmware updates."

Wait tried to fix? That tool they released didn't change the firmware version according to "Samsung Magician" but I can't say I've noticed any issues with my evo before or after the fix (drive had been had only been installed about 10 days before they released the fix)

So assuming Samsung fixed it and my drives not still just too new to notice and it's the same issue I don't see why apple can't fix it with software.

That quote came directly from BGR, I'm not sure if its true/false as I don't own a Samsung SSD.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

i dont think its gonna be that big of a deal, there likely wont be a recall. and lets be honest, bendgate was blown way out of preportion. sure there was more than 9 actually reported, but nowhere as bad as people want to think it was. 95% of the pictures of bent phones are from people who bent their own phone on purpose to rake in on the internet points.  

I agree it was blown way out of proportions, but it was still very interesting when JayZTwoCents noted that he had bent his 6 (not 6+) just through daily use (not trying to bend it); and he made careful note to say that he doesn't really keep it in his pocket -- i.e. its bends easily, albeit it was a very negligible bend, but apparently still enough to pop the screen out a bit. 

/Not saying this wouldn't happen with other phones / #bendgate is a serious issue; just that its interesting to see that it is possible for it to bend during light use. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That quote came directly from BGR, I'm not sure if its true/false as I don't own a Samsung SSD.

Well I guess until I notice a problem there is no problem lol just had me worried there for a second.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

They cheap out on hardware on the most expensive phone ????????? They just keep on digging ! :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Bored with android? Are you serious? You obviously haven't played around with it enough, you can even make Android look like iOS if you wanted to...

I have had my note 2 for about 2 years and I still love it, I just wanted a change. I like android and I like iOS, whatcha gonna do

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh