DARPA creates first 1THz computer chip, breaks world record

Dietrichw

Source

Source2

guinness-world-records-original-darpa-1t

The US military's R&D division earned the world record for the fastest solid-state chip which is clocked at 1THz or 1000 GHz, the previous record was 850 GHz. The chip is known as the Terahertz Monolithic Integrated Circuit (TMI). The chip is intended for creating radio waves in the sub-milimeter-wave terahertz range rather than computing although, that is being looked into. The waves the chips produces are referred to as T-waves which can be used to improve radar, imaging and reconnaissance, and high bandwidth wireless networks. This tech is far from being usable so don't expect to be using anything that can run at 1THz as the power requirements and heat dissipation will be a huge problem.

DARPA press release:

Current electronics using solid-state technologies have largely been unable to access the sub-millimeter band of the electromagnetic spectrum due to insufficient transistor performance. To address the "terahertz gap," engineers have traditionally used frequency conversion—converting alternating current at one frequency to alternating current at another frequency—to multiply circuit operating frequencies up from millimeter-wave frequencies. This approach, however, restricts the output power of electrical devices and adversely affects signal-to-noise ratio. Frequency conversion also increases device size, weight and power supply requirements.

BRB

off to throw my pc away

computer-out-window.jpg

AMD be like we got dis

(FX 9990)

AMD be like

OnFire7.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

& i'm sitting here with a Sempron ... :mellow:

Details separate people.

What will this be used for? War! Good ol' DARPA.

Maybe we'll get this in a decade..

NO NOT WAR!...just killing people and stuff ya know, nothing dangerous.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Did they put on one of those uranium cooling ponds to keep it cool?

CPU: Intel i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig H5 Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme4  RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB GPU: Powercolor R9 390 PCS+

Case Fans: 3X Phobya NB-Eloop 120mm in front + 1X Noiseblocker BlackSilentPRO 140mm, rear HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair CX600M  Case: Corsair Air 540 ODD: LG Supermulti (Yeah whatever)  Monitors: LG25UM55-P, LG 22EN43

Well amd you have competition 

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

What will this be used for? War! Good ol' DARPA.

Maybe we'll get this in a decade..

At this rate, probably not. :P

It does not run Crysis?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

What material are they using?

They didn't say, this is the US Military.

& i'm sitting here with a Sempron ... :mellow:

i loved the sempron....rendered videos in 8 hours  :P

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

UM, what? MIT beat them to this last year. How did this get past Guinness?

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1318751 <-fully fledged ARM 7 chip btw, just single core, and not able to be mass-produced.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What material are they using?

graphene most likely. CNT has an upper limit of 300GHz. Stanene is possible, but I didn't think they'd figured out how to attach interconnects to it yet.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Did they put on one of those uranium cooling ponds to keep it cool?

Nope, graphene chips are more easily cooled the bigger they are. It's an amazing property of graphene. The longer a nanoribbon, the faster it conducts heat. If you put 2 feet between you and a standard freezer, you could freezerburn half a finger in less than a second.

UM, what? MIT beat them to this last year. How did this get past Guinness?

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1318751 <-fully fledged ARM 7 chip btw, just single core, and not able to be mass-produced.

that could be that it was designed but not fully operational? Guinness is pretty strict in the validation process in stuff like this.

that could be that it was designed but not fully operational? Guinness is pretty strict in the validation process in stuff like this.

No, it was fully operational and is fully operational with less than .2 watts of power. I was there for that demo too. they jerry-rigged their chip into a Qualcomm tablet and ran Windows on it.

Also, this is just a signal amplifier. Guinness is losing its edge.

This is really cool stuff.

And here we are diddling around in the 3-5GHz range on our puny desktops... :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS