An enthusiasts guide to MPC-HC + madVR

Is this only for Anime? Or would box office movies like The Expendables be greatly improved as well?

Well as of madVR v0.89 there have been some new settings added. I think the Zoom Control is the main one but let me know if you know some other things that were added.

madVR%20Zoom%20Control.png

Is this only for Anime? Or would box office movies like The Expendables be greatly improved as well?

Works great for them as well. I used to use for Top Gear too until well its no longer. Some of my settings may be tweaked specifically for anime or animation though, just a heads up.

• 1 month later...

I have also been toying with using super res So far the 960 and 970 dont have issues from what I can tell even with NNEDI enabled. Youll have to test with all your different common files and formats to check.

madVR%20SuperRes%20Settings%20-%20Chroma

madVR%20SuperRes%20Settings%20-%20Upscal

Here is a description of the test files that I have encoded so you have an idea before downloading. They are just 100MB chunks of the final files but are enough for testing. There should be enough variance here so that you can test just about anything in MPC-HC/madVR as well as hardware decoding with just about anything else after changing the container from mkv to mp4. There is no need to convert to mp4, just change the container (not the same as changing the extension).

Test File 01 - 1080p | Hi10P | 24fps

Test File 02 - 1080p | HiP | 30fps | (encoded for BD compatibility)

Test File 03 - 720p | HiP | 24fps | (encoded for full DXVA compatibility)

Test File 04 - 480p | BP | 60fps | (encoded for full Portable compatibility) *minus PSP and iPod Classic

Test File 05 - 720p | Hi444P | 24fps

Test File 06 - 480p | MP | 60fps | (encoded for full SD DXVA compatibility)

Test File 07 - 1080p | HiP | 24fps | (encoded for full HD DXVA compatibility)

Explanation of Description:

Resolution - H.264 Profile - Framerate - Hardware Compatibility

If you have any question about these or what scripts I used to encode them let me know I would be happy to respond.

• 4 months later...

So I finally updated the decoders and the non HTPC ini file. http://goo.gl/KCqNOV

Its still setup for non-SLI Nvidia configurations. The readme has not been updated and will likely be completely redone when I move everything to The Tech Exchange http://goo.gl/uhvvpK Please let me know if you have constructive ideas on ways to improve the readme.

• 8 months later...

Well @MyInnerFred was a 3 whole versions behind on MPC-HC, who know how far on everything else so I updated the installers. They are now available here https://goo.gl/6x0qzj and the OP is updates. The same guides still apply for the most part but you guys are welcome to post if you need help.

• 2 months later...

Alright so MPC-HC finally updated to a new version so I updated both it and madVR. https://goo.gl/OZJY6N

• 4 months later...

I have a low-end laptop with an integrated GPU, Intel i3 3120M, and an SSD.

I'm just looking for the optimal settings and plugin setup I should do for smoother and better playback. The laptop plays 1080p .mkvs fine, but it does stutter a bit with Blu-ray rips and REMUX rips with other players like BSPlayer.

Does this guide work for low-end setups too?