An enthusiasts guide to MPC-HC + madVR

everything is stuttery...

I'll PM some screencaps of my settings later...

Alright what I meat was did you install the new files I just posted. If so did it happen when you did that?

Alright what I meat was did you install the new files I just posted. If so did it happen when you did that?

ah... I'm not using your files yet...

I'll try out your files later...

ah... I'm not using your files yet...

I'll try out your files later...

Not a problem I would give those a try. The basic readme should be on the first page. If you have any questions ask.

Not a problem I would give those a try. The basic readme should be on the first page. If you have any questions ask.

I think I got it fixed...

Might just be background loading...

Will still try your files later...

• 2 weeks later...

Ill be posting my personal madVR settings on a 970 and 1440p soon, possibly 1080p on a 960 as well. @MyInnerFred needs a starting point :P

Hey it's 'Steve From Logistics' on steam. I am hoping to get the best possible quality. I am pretty certain my computer will handle anything thrown at it *fingers crossed*. I pretty much just want to keep having to change settings all the time to a minimum. That would be preferred but I would be up for learning a few new things and changing some minor settings if the need arises for optimal quality playback. Thank you kind sir!

4PLT6a4.png

Did you already follow my readme/quide so far? If so the setting ill be posting for @MyInnerFred should apply to you and since your only on 1080p you would be able to enable "Scale in Linear Light" as well as additional options. Just monitor your rendering times. You can figure out your required minimum by dividing 1000ms by the FPS of your video. Your average render time should be below that other wise you will drop frames. Using Ctrl+J will bring up your stats.

24fps = ~41.6ms max

25fps = 40ms max

30fps = ~33.3ms

50fps = 20ms

60fps = ~16.6ms

These are just rough, especially because 24 is actually 23.976, 30 is 29.97, and 60 is 59.98.

So what's the fuss about ?

Whats what fuss about?

Alright here is the example of my madVR setting for @MyInnerFred let me know if anyone wants the ones for 1080p on a 960 as something to start on.

ChibiPC%20970%201440p%20madVR%20Settings

01.Put in the resolution of your monitor and its supported refresh rates.

02.For systems that you can utilize hardware interlacing via LAV Video (Nvidia/Intel) you disable all deinterlacing options in madVR. If you have a AMD card enable it and disable the deinterlacing in LAV Video which is baked into MPC-HC already. As for settings in here the only one youll really need is to check or uncheck the bottom box if you mainly watch anime or not.

03.Just enable this, youll thank me later.

04.This is just personal preference. Catmull-Rom is very neural with a slight err on sharpness. It and Mitchell-Netravali are both classics. Spline is what I would normally use when encoding anime but madVR's version had had its issues in the past. Another common one is Jinc which is sharp as F' but youll need to use the "anti-ringing filter", it was actually created for Jinc. Dont touch NNEDI3, unless for doubling later. I need to look into Bilateral, super -xbr, Nedi (maybe related to NNEDI3?)

05.Here its the same thing as 04 except I when available prefer to activate "scale in linear light". I dont have it enabled in this case because if I do I will not meet the minimum rendering time when doubling 720p to 1440p using NEEDI3.

06.This is what enable Image doubling. I would enable it for doubling but only when factor is 2.0x or greater. This means that 480p will be doubled on a 1080p screen (like my tv) or in the case of my monitor even 720p will be doubled to 1440p. You can do it for more and then downscale it but its very taxing as its very good at what it does. Also it utilizes OpenCL if I recall correctly so AMD GPU's might actually be better at it, sadly their worse at everything else related to media playback).

Part of the reason for the large overhead may be the fact that madVR displays in Direct3D while this is in something else, who knows? (only the dev). I do know that even the CPU one which even support the latest instructions is hell'a heavy when encoding so this was no surprise to me.

07.Here its the exact same thing as 05.

08.The only thing you may want to change here is if your still running WinVista or Win7 to "disable desktop composition" due to the way the desktop is rendered and how Aero is done.

09.Just enable this too, youll thank me later even more than the dithering. If your wondering this is what makes 24fps stuff show up properly on a 60hz display.

10.The default here is Ordered Dithering. My preference is Error Diffusion 2 with "change Dither every frame" enabled. A lower train version of this would be Error Diffusion 1 with "change Dither every frame" disabled. Error Diffusion does also utilize the GPU so expect to take a decent hit when you enable it but dithering is quite important and worth it.

11.This for me is just set to normal. Most time you would only touch this if you have a really low end PC and have already diabled other stuff but still want to use madVR for its more basic benefits. Also if for some reason your system is so beefcake that there's not enough options to stress is you can enable not really needed ones here to increase that, usually significantly.

Well madVR updated again, man have they been burning through revisions http://goo.gl/zmee6w

@Charger @MyInnerFred @helping

Love MPC-HC, I have been using SVP with it. 

Love MPC-HC, I have been using SVP with it.

What benefit does SVP have over smooth motion that's already built into madVR?

What benefit does SVP have over smooth motion that's already built into madVR?

Here is a example of what it does, the effect is better though when your monitor refresh is a multiple of 24 though. (Watch in 1080p HD*)

http://www.svp-team.com/

Here is a example of what it does, the effect is better though when your monitor refresh is a multiple of 24 though. (Watch in 1080p HD*)

http://www.svp-team.com/

I understand this but madVR already does this with smooth motion enabled. I want to know how it differs and what makes its "better". I haven't bothered with it since it seems to do the same thing.

Maybe @helping knows? I think he uses it...

I understand this but madVR already does this with smooth motion enabled. I want to know how it differs and what makes its "better". I haven't bothered with it since it seems to do the same thing.

Maybe @helping knows? I think he uses it...

SVP does frame interpolation, MadVR does frame blending. They are very different, many people who use SVP use MADVR as a renderer. I can assure you the results are very different, SVP does a much better job consistently. 

SVP does frame interpolation, MadVR does frame blending. They are very different, many people who use SVP use MADVR as a renderer. I can assure you the results are very different, SVP does a much better job consistently.

Ill have to look into this more as madvr does a dang nice just but I mostly watch anime on my TV where I have a somewhat adjustable refresh rate vs what most people go through on their monitors.

I wonder how it's working on for @MyInnerFred since I believe he's on a 60hz monitor. First make sure the anime is correctly encoded 24 fps the watch the panning for chop. If you need help finding a file let me know I'm not sure my test files have something that's a good test for that...

@Charger may have input too possibly depending what he's watching on.

so how does this increase visual quality

I mean I have both VLC and MP running at the same time or am I missing something obvious.

if I look hard enough (as in squinting my eyes) VLC has bit more of  jagged lines/sharper and maybe darker, that's is if i'm right in front of my monitor

post-29882-0-73028100-1438258567_thumb.p

lives on

BAKABT

so how does this increase visual quality

I mean I have both VLC and MP running at the same time or am I missing something obvious.

if I look hard enough (as in squinting my eyes) VLC has bit more of jagged lines/sharper and maybe darker, that's is if i'm right in front of my monitor

Most features of madVR and enabled in full screen. I think you might be able to disable that with varying luck.

Basically it's a better renderer and upscaler. madVR also dies stuff with vsync and frame timing if enabled. The renderer itself is Direct3D based and other parts are CPU or OpenCL based depending.

Colors and color conversation it actually handled at 16bit depth unless disabled. Then it dither for that bit depth back to one supported by your monitor. This is usually 8 bit but you can for 6bit if you have a cheap monitor or 10bit if you have an expensive one. The scalers it uses are basically at or even above what is available when encoding.

Also MPC-HC is better than VLC for the lone face that it can use external filters. Now the most popular external filter set LAV Filters is actually internal. It contains everything you need for properly GPU decoding video and even hardware deinterlacing. Also properly decodes all formats of audio and gives you decent control of it. Actually that good the only it doesn't do it able to re encode lossless surround to lossy surround for use on older receivers over optical if I recall.

There is more to it than this too but you should get the point I would imagine.

Anyone had a chance to look into SVP vs madVR for frame rate changing?

Also has anyone toyed with those new filters to see what they do and how much of a impact they have on performance?

I got a GPU AMD so I don't know how I can help but I'm willing too.

And I'm using MAD VR cause SVP didn't work for me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I got a GPU AMD so I don't know how I can help but I'm willing too.

And I'm using MAD VR cause SVP didn't work for me.

LAV Filters can be easily configured for AMD you'll just used GPU decoding and not hardware decoding. Also you'll have to enable deinterlacing in madVR for best effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Below I have some screenshots of the Image Enhancement settings that I have talked about previously. Anyone here have any experience using them.

Also is there interest in my madVR settings for 1080p with a GTX 960? Or have you all been able to work pretty well with what I have already posted?

madVR%20Image%20Enhancements%20-%201.png

madVR%20Image%20Enhancements%20-%202.png

madVR%20Image%20Enhancements%20-%203.png

Image enhancements should apply to everything all the time I would have to assume.

Upscaling refinement should only happen when the image needs to be upscaled.

In Chroma Upscaling there seems to be a couple new things but here SuperRes should apply when this is upscaled but to what degree I have no idea. The other new settings here would be Bilateral, super-xbr, and Nedi. I have to wonder if Nedi has any relation to NNEDI...

Really wondering if anyone has any input. Also my theory on filtering is that if you need a second filter to cancel out the side effects of the first, your filtering too much!

Link to the latest version of madVR since it isnt always updated in the bundle I have for download http://goo.gl/zd9wnI

• 3 weeks later...

you'll have to enable deinterlacing in madVR for best effect

Just for reference, there's a variety of native deinterlacing methods available in VLC if you need it. Most of our (enthusiasts) systems should be able to use Yadif (2x) -- an advanced deinterlacing mode -- with ease and Yadif is actually an export from MPlayer. I find it very useful on "tv" sources.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Just for reference, there's a variety of native deinterlacing methods available in VLC if you need it. Most of our (enthusiasts) systems should be able to use Yadif (2x) -- an advanced deinterlacing mode -- with ease and Yadif is actually an export from MPlayer. I find it very useful on "tv" sources.

For deinterlacing I would recommend using hardware for nvidia for sure as its probably the best available and has been there since the 8800 days. Intel might be able to do it as well otherwise use the deinterlacing that it's built into madVR. YADIF is a type of slightly better than average software deinterlacing and is also available in LAV Filters built into MPC-HC. I wouldnt recommend it too much though since there are better options.

Anything you guys would like me to add or do to this?