water less water cooling?

spwath
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

but then then air Will go though a rad and cool. So the air goes: block-fan-rad-fan -block

Granted it wouldn't be the most effective, but.

The point of the rad is to cool the (water, in this case air) to go back to the cpu. Fresh air would be cooler than recirculated air. 

Again, the issue is that water is much better than air at transferring heat--it's the reason eggs are boiled in water instead of being put (shell and all) into an empty pot.

What if you made a loop with a pump that could work with air, and don't have any liquid, instead have air circulating through the tubes. Would it work?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Are you talking about heatpipes?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Wow don't tell me you got science on school.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

that's kinda what a heat pipe is.Its hollow inside and there's like a liquid that will change to vapor transferring the heat

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

No, the point of water is that it transfers heat more quickly. A fan is much more effective at moving air than a pump. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That won't work, if you just blow air through the tubes it won't work at all, the air won't go through the whole loop properly because it's not dense enough at all, so it doesn't has any flow to get through the loop, but water is a lot more dense so the flow has a lot more force, and don't forget even watercooled systems have issues with a low-pressure af they are too big and the pump isn't strong enough.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

No, the point of water is that it transfers heat more quickly. A fan is much more effective at moving air than a pump.

Sure more effective, but what if say there is a pump in between every block/rad, or you widen the tube and have a 80-140mm fan in between every block/rad

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Sure more effective, but what if say there is a pump in between every block/rad, or you widen the tube and have a 80-140mm fan in between every block/rad

That'd be no better than a really fast fan just blowing on top of a plate that mounts to the cpu since that's pretty much exactly what that is but much less effective. It would work with something that doesn't produce much heat like the mobile chip inside of a phone but pretty much anything else would be better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That'd be no better than a really fast fan just blowing on top of a plate that mounts to the cpu since that's pretty much exactly what that is but much less effective.

but then then air Will go though a rad and cool. So the air goes: block-fan-rad-fan -block

The point of the rad is to cool the (water, in this case air) to go back to the cpu. Fresh air would be cooler than recirculated air. 

Again, the issue is that water is much better than air at transferring heat--it's the reason eggs are boiled in water instead of being put (shell and all) into an empty pot.