Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Drive Should I Get? A Guide to the Mechanical HD Market

Hello,

I am building my NAS and I want to go for Seagate Ironwolf 6TBs. I found two different versions in my area:

ST6000VN0033

ST6000VN0041

I wonder which one is "better".

x33 - has 256 MB cache and 5 platters + 10 heads

x41 - has 128 MB cache and 6 platters + 12 heads

The question is if I should just decide depending on cache size or number of platters also plays an important role?

EDIT: x41 is also a bit more expensive (around 20 €)

Edited by Healadin
adding more info
On 11/15/2019 at 2:22 AM, Healadin said:

Hello,

I am building my NAS and I want to go for Seagate Ironwolf 6TBs. I found two different versions in my area:

ST6000VN0033

ST6000VN0041

I wonder which one is "better".

x33 - has 256 MB cache and 5 platters + 10 heads

x41 - has 128 MB cache and 6 platters + 12 heads

The question is if I should just decide depending on cache size or number of platters also plays an important role?

EDIT: x41 is also a bit more expensive (around 20 €)

Cache shouldn't make you buy the unit if you are not working with many apps opened at the same time. The amount of platters differs because density is tending to increase in less sectors, by this you can assume that the one with less platters is a more recent version. You also can see the specs sheet of these two and you will see that the revision number was assigned on different dates: 

June 2017 for ST6000VN0041: https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/ironwolf/en-us/docs/100807039d.pdf

and 

May 2019 for ST6000VN0033: https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/ironwolf/en-us/docs/100807039k.pdf

Each time a product is revisited, manufacturers generally change the revision number of that product. In each revision there can be major or small changes as only the design of the label, anyway, I hope this information helps you with something.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 11/22/2019 at 4:31 AM, seagate_surfer said:

Cache shouldn't make you buy the unit if you are not working with many apps opened at the same time

Hi, 

I was wondering about that. So would 

MSI Command Center 

Nvidia GFE 

Nvidia Shadowplay 

Steam 

Game 

MSI Afterburner 

HWmonitor 

and maybe like 2 or 3 other small apps count as many apps or is a lower cache size still ok for this use case? 

RYZEN 5 3600 @ 4.2 GHz AUTO | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC @ 0.930 V 1965 Hz CORE 7100 MEMORY | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO 1809 FOREVER™ | INWIN 301| CORSAIR RM650I | MSI MAG274QRF @120 Hz 2560x1440 ADAPTIVE SYNC | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 2TB TOSHIBA L200 | WIN 🔟 LITE 

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Should i buy a 1TB HDD with 3 years warranty or 3TB HDD refurb with 1 year warranty for the same price? like how bad is a refurb drive?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice a short in-depth list of all the current hard drives on the market. Sometimes it's indeed confusing which one to pick, gladly SSHD's aren't really a thing anymore or it would be much more complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

i just came to turn my old PC into a NAS, 

i know that i must buy NAS Disk for storage like the WD RED but

for the OS and config files.. i used an standard desktop drive

the question is... which type of drive to i must use for the NAS OS ?

• 2 weeks later...

@Blade of Grass

I've seen Toshiba HDD pops out in the market. Wonder will you update your list accordingly.