Should I be concerned about this being out-dated? [update]

Old

Looking to go through thenewboston's C++ Tutorial after being introduced by a friend. However I noticed the tutorial started in 2011. Is this a problem? I wouldn't want to go through with the tutorial only to find things have drastically changed in C++.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83

I was thinking the same thing about his android development playlist, but I'm sure that development has changed alot due to kitkat and L.

UPDATE: I've switched to java. However, it seems thenewbostons java tuts were made in 2009 :o
playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28

Is this a problem? I wish to learn java in preparation for android development. I get my oneplus one in dDecember

I don't think languages change that much over years, only really Python does that I'm awar of

C++ 11 (named so because it was introduced in 2011) is the current 'stable release' of C++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B#Standardization

Assuming he was using the most recent version at the moment of making the video, you're good.

And even if he wasn't I wouldn't worry about any 'drastic changes'.

I don't think languages change that much over years, only really Python does that I'm awar of

C++ was changed in 2011, and now changed again in 2014.

It changes often. But programs made on an older version still work with the newer version because the latest version just adds functionality, and doesnt take anything much away.

So the different versions are still very similar.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It changes often. But programs made on an older version still work with the newer version because the latest version just adds functionality, and doesnt take anything much away.

Thanks man. I guess i'll be going ahead with these tutorials then.

Thanks man. I guess i'll be going ahead with these tutorials then.

Good luck :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh, I didn't know that :S

Good luck :)

I actually decided to learn Java :3

Would you say bucky's guides on java  are to outdated.Looking at the date of video release, it says 2009 :S

playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28

This is discerning because bucky seems to be one of the view content creators with a complete java tutorial.

From the developer side, languages don't really change. When a language does change it is mostly under the hood compiler optimizations and less actual changes to the language. Therefore it is more accurate to say that the language did not change, but the compiler has changed. Most of the time you can compile old code on a new compiler and it will build just fine unless you have really compiler optimized code. Here is a example of a change in the c language. Before, it was a compiler error if you tried to declare a variable in the for loop declaration, but in a newer compiler, it says that this is ok and does not throw a compiler error.

//legal in older c and also runs on c99 compilerint i;for(i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}//not legal in older c, but runs on c99 compilerfor(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}

From the developer side, languages don't really change. When a language does change it is mostly under the hood compiler optimizations and less actual changes to the language. Therefore it is more accurate to say that the language did not change, but the compiler has changed. Most of the time you can compile old code on a new compiler and it will build just fine unless you have really compiler optimized code. Here is a example of a change in the c language. Before, it was a compiler error if you tried to declare a variable in the for loop declaration, but in a newer compiler, it says that this is ok and does not throw a compiler error.

//legal in older c and also runs on c99 compilerint i;for(i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}//not legal in older c, but runs on c99 compilerfor(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}
Alright! Guess I'll be going though with The tut then :)

Thanks for the help man. I really just need to get to know the basics before o move onto android dev. I'm going to leave this unsolved for a bit in case anyone has some other input to add.